• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New manual start box install

Glider

I ordered a start box from camotek systems. This is basically a manual glow plug controller. Instead of waiting on wait light you manually energize the glow plugs using push button switch for around 3-4 seconds when cold. No glow necessary when warm.

I am very impressed with the product and kit. The attention to detail on this "rebuilt" box is top shelf! Everything is completely sealed high quality parts, very nice instructions. Also came with body seal.

I've done several cold starts and it works exactly as advertised.

Attachments

tgejesse

Why did you push the button twice for 3 seconds each push? Instead of just holding it longer?
By suggestion of camo. All depends on how cold your truck is as well. You’ll start to get a feel for what cycle works. You don’t want to keep it on for long periods of time to give the plugs a break as well. I imagine 2x3 seconds is better for the longevity of the plugs than 1x7… and having the same effect. I’m sure cam can shed some light on the science behind it.

blutow

This looks like a well executed solution to the standard boxes and eliminates a bunch of complexity.

One comment/question - the stock box will cycle the glow plugs on and off for a minute or so after starting. I've read that it helps clean them. Is that BS or does the post-start glow plug cycle help with anything? I don't think they added that feature to the smart box for no reason, so it seems there must be something to it (even it's a marginal benefit). These is no reason you couldn't cycle the glow plugs manually for a while after starting, but I suspect most people won't bother.

diesel_dave

This looks like a well executed solution to the standard boxes and eliminates a bunch of complexity.

One comment/question - the stock box will cycle the glow plugs on and off for a minute or so after starting. I've read that it helps clean them. Is that BS or does the post-start glow plug cycle help with anything? I don't think they added that feature to the smart box for no reason, so it seems there must be something to it (even it's a marginal benefit). These is no reason you couldn't cycle the glow plugs manually for a while after starting, but I suspect most people won't bother.
I also am wondering about this. I'm still trying to figure out if my start box needs replaced or not so I am considering this manual solution.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor

This is the CAMOBOX story.... as told by CAMO.
IMO... In my studies... There is a lot of BS over the years surrounding smart boxes. Some features might make sense and some a government sales point. In either case, a lot have been sold for replacements. Think...$485 dollar hammers or $1000 dollar toilet seats ??? makes you wonder ???
IMG_0241.jpg

The day mister HumV took a dump 5 years ago, I wasn't going to stand by and fork out big bucks for a shot at blowing another set of plugs and new a box. Having HIGH tech running low tech was about to change....

The diesel engines used in the HumV have simple electrical requirement to begin with. As a hobbyist, for me anyway a computer / sensor control scheme made NO sense to me. Wrenches and greases under the fingers nails is one fun part. Easy to understand. I didn't need another computer project.

With my electronics background and having been to this rodeo with CUCV's (same crap different rig) I got busy, reviewed the requirements and built MY workaround with total success. In the shop, when I build something it get a name. Born was the "CAMOBOX". We were back on the road enjoying the HumV experience. I control the steering wheel and I control the glow plugs. Had this happen far from home... That would be a different story and name told here by the wife. DumB $%!t or money pit comes to mind. LOL

I shared my CAMOBOX build here on the forum. I helped a few get back on the road with success. I used this experience to build a startup business "CAMOTEKSYSTEMS" now building our version for the HumV hobbyist. "PDMCG" Power Distribution Manual Glow Control.

Has for the all the Hoopla about these "BOXes" you have a choice go OEM... Not bad if ???

OR our affordable 'PDMGC" solution and take control of RUN, GLOW and GO, CAMO https://camoteksystems.com

CAMOTEK 03-22-72.jpg

blutow

Yeah, the trade off of not buying $1k boxes and frying glow plugs seems like a fair trade off vs. the possible marginal gains from cycling the glow plugs after starting.

I'm no diesel expert, but I did a quick search and it sounds like the post start GP cycling is pretty common on modern diesels and it provides a little help/heat when the engine first starts to improve cold start performance and reduce emissions. I doubt the emissions thing was the driving factor for this functionality in a hmmwv, but you don't want to be pushing white smoke during cold startup in a combat situation. A little smoke wouldn't be critical for civilian use and you still have the option to manually cycle the glow plugs for the first minute to 2 until the cylinders generate some heat.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I see problems with this system. I see hold for 3 seconds twice and now hit it a few Times during warmup to replicate the smart box. I think this is a great thing but as soon as you introduce people it’s a mess. Then people don’t take responsibility for their actions and blame the box… I would probably do a 5 or 6 seconds and call it a day. Camo you are smart guy and your stuff looks really good and at 195.00 with exchange that’s a hell of a a deal. Hahaha

blutow

I see problems with this system. I see hold for 3 seconds twice and now hit it a few Times during warmup to replicate the smart box. I think this is a great thing but as soon as you introduce people it’s a mess. Then people don’t take responsibility for their actions and blame the box… I would probably do a 5 or 6 seconds and call it a day. Camo you are smart guy and your stuff looks really good and at 195.00 with exchange that’s a hell of a a deal. Hahaha
I agree with the "people" variable, but this manual box is a good system for anyone that knows how a diesel works and what the behavior of their engine is at startup at different temps. I'd argue that my OEM "smart" box doesn't really seem all that smart. It seems to work the same whether the engine is at 25f or 65f. I kind of like the idea of having a little more control. The goal for the OEM start box is to make it idiot-proof for everyone. In reality, you've already lost that battle once you introduce the "wait" light that may people just ignore.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with the "people" variable, but this manual box is a good system for anyone that knows how a diesel works and what the behavior of their engine is at startup at different temps. I'd argue that my OEM "smart" box doesn't really seem all that smart. It seems to work the same whether the engine is at 25f or 65f. I kind of like the idea of having a little more control. The goal for the OEM start box is to make it idiot-proof for everyone. In reality, you've already lost that battle once you introduce the "wait" light that may people just ignore.
I see the reason for the not so smart box. Everyone has a different idea of what is right but everyone can see a light go out. You are right I have seen people just cold start with no regards for the light. I like Camo’s stuff a lot and the plaque is amazing

Last edited:

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've tested almost all brands and serires with the Camo tester...The KDS Smart start S3 did not after cycle plugs at full 24vdc
like all the rest...It slightly cycled at around 5 vdc.
Part of what goes bad in the OEM boxes...is the Timer for after glow...if it gets stuck on...glow until Blow.
Camo manual box will not have that problem.

Glider

My Kubota tractor has a manual glow. Nothing new for me. In the

When starting the hmmwv I have cycled the glowplugs after start and can't tell any difference. But it hasn't been cold weather.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks