• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New member/1009 owner! Tranny problem/random questions

longwaytofall

Hello,
I just picked up an almost completely rust free m1009 yesterday, and I love it! My last vehicle was a toyota pickup and this thing is so much beefier and cooler. I am having a problem with the transmission though, when I select drive, it starts out in 2nd gear. When I manually select first gear, it works fine, and if I go from first to 2nd or drive at slow speeds it stays in first until the proper shift rpm. Is it possible there is an issue with the vacuum? Do these transmissions have an adjustment for the vacuum input at the tranny? The brakes work fine, however the peddle sinks down a little ways before applying solid braking force, if that is any indicator of the vacuum pump. Couple other questions regarding the truck, the idle is a little rough, I remember my old 7.3L International powered ford had almost a purr to it, ra ra ra ra ra ra ra. This engine has a very similar noise but just not as smooth, more uneven, it drives fine and is smooth above idle. The injector pump is quite fresh, according to the previous owner, should I be looking at injectors? The truck emits some white smoke at startup, but once warm it is fine, is this normal or possibly worn rings/valve guide seals or something? It has about 100k miles. I realize I should do a compression check to ensure all is well, but if it IS the rings, I will most likely let the engine go until it has no more life in it, and just replace the whole thing. Those 4bts are pretty neat :) Sorry for the ramble, looking forward to getting this thing running proper! Thank you in advance for your replys.
Micah

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hey Micah! Welcome to the site and to the world of OD iron. Will your TH400 downshift to first if you floor it as you are taking off? Or will it only lug in 2nd? Does it only do this after you have driven a bit? Or only when cold? What if you go from park to D again? Will that make it start in 1st?

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
We bought ours last year and it started right up since we could not drive it out of the GL lot at Aberdeen we towed it out the gate and my son was supposed to follow me while I drove the duece home towing a dolly. He couldnt keep up so I checked and it would not shift out of first gear. hooked a stap to the dolly and then towed him down I 95 to home. When I checked it there were a lot of vacume hoses that were dryrotted. I changed them all and it shifts perfectly now. That tranny needs the vacume to shift and it was not getting enough this is the first thing I would try as long as the tranny fluid is cherry red there is most likely nothing else wrong with it cheap fix

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: New member/1009 owner! Tranny problem/random questio

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus said:
That tranny needs the vacume to shift and it was not getting enough this is the first thing I would try as long as the tranny fluid is cherry red there is most likely nothing else wrong with it cheap fix
Normal driving will be miserable with vacuum leaks, but the TH400 will shift without vacuum (and almost bark the tires if you wind them up enough), because the governor will make it shift at higher RPM. In fact, you can leave the shifter in 1st, run it up with the pedal down and it will bang 2nd gear so hard you'd think it was a race car, without ever moving the shifter to 2nd! It's cool to have a truck shift that hard, but it's hard on tranny mounts... :shock:

However, I don't think I would have done that on a new from GL, maiden voyage truck either.

longwaytofall

RE: Re: RE: New member/1009 owner! Tranny problem/random que

It will always start out in second, no matter if it is cold or warm. When I floor it in drive, it still stays in 2nd, and just slips the heck out of the converter until it gets into 2nd gear speed range (20-25 maybe?) and then revs out properly and shifts to 3rd. If I put it into first, start driving a couple miles an hour, and put it into drive then everything works perfect, 1-2 shift is smooth and at the correct rpm (25mph or so), along with 2-3. No amount of Drive-Park shifting helps out. The tranny fluid looked good, and was at the correct level before I left with the truck on my way home.
Seems like I should check out the vacuum lines, I think I will do that right now.
CUCVFAN: I will have to try leaving it in first and revving it out, to see if it shifts to 2nd, thats pretty neat. Although if it shifts as hard as you say it does, I'm not sure I will drive around regularly like that. :)
Another off topic question, I see these levers on both sides of the truck that connect to little doors in the kick panels, are these engine bay vents or something? I should probably not be lazy and just go and figure out what they are, but its easy to ask :)
I had some fun today leaving my parking spot after class, somebody pulled behind me and blocked me in as they bought a parking ticket, instead of waiting for them to finish I just put it in first and drove down the side of the hill I was on, cant wait to give this thing a real offroading test.

Jetnoise400

Hey Michah,

Those doors in the cab are just your cab fresh air vents. Once summer gets here, you'll be glad you have them.

Check those transmission vacuum lines!

longwaytofall

Alright, back from mardi gras and back to work on the truck. I pulled the vacuum line going into the tranny and measured how strong it was, seemed good at about 40" of mercury. I am worried it is an internal problem. How hard is it to test the vacuum modulator? I am guessing it is the big brass thing the line plugs into. Also, if I do choose to rebuild it, how do I set the rpm it shifts at, at max throttle? I plan on running a different engine in the future that will have a lower red line, and don't want it to blow up before it shifts. Is it all in the valve body? Thanks guys!

fordlotus

It's been a year since I crawled under and messed with anything on one of our m1009 but this is what I remember. The vacuum modulator doesn't do much but smooth the shifting and I guess help it determine when. The vm is on the passenger side, has the vacuum line running into it and is held in by one bolt and a fork bracket. You can put vaccum to this and see if it pulls in. No leaks no problem. I don't believe what you are having problems with is this. Just forward of this is I believe is a triangle shaped plate. It has two or three bolts in it. I know everything about it but I don't know what this is called. We've had to replace it a few times in the past. When you pull it out you will find a white plastic gear with weights on the shaft it spins on. THIS is what shifts the tranny. When the gear spins fast enough the weights expand out and suck the gear back. When you pull this you will find the cheap plastic gear worn down. When you go to replace it the part is like 30 or 40 dollars. If you can find someone to sell you the gear it will be about 5 to 8. Buy two.

longwaytofall

Cool! I will have to pull that guy out and take a look at it. So if you want to change the shift rpm you just change the springs attached to the weights?
Well while in drive, 3rd gear is starting to slip now. Its seems like it is the torque converter. Everything is fine in 1st and 2nd when you manually select it, I am assuming because the torque converter is locked up. Even when I trick the tranny into first (manually select first then back into drive once moving) it still does fine in first and second, is it possible that the 3rd gear clutch pack is slipping? What applies pressure to the torque converter, is it the same source in all gears? Most of this is probably useless, I am pretty sure it is going to have to come out and get gutted. Bummer!
Anybody know the approximate cost of getting it rebuilt, if I pull it out of the car and supply all of the parts? Thanks again for all the help guys, you rock!

longwaytofall

I am in the bay area. I called around a few different places this morning and most are pretty crazy. I think I am going to let aamco take it, we worked out a pretty good package that will handle 600+ lb/ft for the future engine and includes the torque converter for about $1500. Does the tranny in our m1009s come with straight cut gears? it certainly sounds like it when I'm driving! haha. The reason I ask is because if it is not installed, that will be part of the build.

gdhartzog

I am also new to this site3 and had wished I knew about it earlier, with my other vehicles which I have sold. My Dad who is over there, was buying and rebuilding them, brought one down to me for towing purposes. I am have ing similiare issues with high RPM's on our m1009 w/ a 400. It ran perfect before it sat for 2 years. We have had the Tranny fluids replaced and had the seals checked. I have been fidlling with the shifting thing on the side of the injectoer pump. This makes small adjustments, yet it still shifts from 2-3 at 35-40 mph, and from 3-4 at 46-55 mph. Having to travel alot on Base, the speed limit is 25mph, and I am using alot of diesel doing it.

any other suggestions!!!!!!!

mangus580

Check and make sure the 'kickdown' switch isnt stuck... or failing. Basically with the key on, you should not have 12v at the orange wire on the side of the transmission.

gdhartzog

I will check out the wire. Yet the kickdown seems to work just fine. to the point of almost being annoying, having to get the RPM's up again. It also seems to shift hard, but no slippage whatsoever.

Thanx

Goatwerks

Being a tranny guy(30 yrs), I would pull the governer first and see if it is sticking, if you are pulling the trans yourself then aamco is tearing you a new a hole at that price.
Most th400 trannies are very inexpensive to rebuild and the vac modulator is adjustable in most cases.
But I would check that gov first as it is easy to remove, just unbolt and pop off the cover. The gov pulls right out. Check the plastic gear for apple coring(excessive wear) the gear is replaceable. Also check forsticking valve or loose swedge at the head of the gov to the shaft. These are the most common failures of th400 trannies.
I would also replace the modulator with an adjustable red stripe one if oil is in the vac line.
You are describing classic modulator /gov symtoms

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks