• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Member 1986 M1009 Corona ca

mdeamicis

Hi SS. It's Mike in corona. I have been lurking for a week. I seen this place referenced in other places and even came across some threads in search results.

I am buying an 86 M1009 from a guy a few hours east of me. He may or may not be on here I don't know. She has a mild suspension and BIG tires (39"). We are talking about working in the banks turbo, dana 60s and the AC gear with the sale. I plan to do a lot of fabrication inside and out to make it my daily driving and adventure rig. I look forward to sharing the journey and gleaning all the gems of knowledge you guys have here.

Prospector GM

Welcome to the site from California! There is a wealth of information on the site. Check out the SoCal spring, summer, and fall rallys. Some of the members that show up at these rallys have M1008s and M1009s. Also check out California peeps.:driver::driver:

mdeamicis

Hey there. I see you are in Hesperia. We drive through there on the war to landscatter to visit my family and also to hit the snow up the hill.

Welcome to the site from California! There is a wealth of information on the site. Check out the SoCal spring, summer, and fall rallys. Some of the members that show up at these rallys have M1008s and M1009s. Also check out California peeps.:driver::driver:

mdeamicis

She made it home a couple days ago and was received warmly by the family. 2 days of driving her shows her to be mechanically sound and an easy ride. I will take some good pics and start a project thread. she is in good shape and all there but I have plans.

KansasBobcat

Welcome from San Antonio. These are good starter trucks for military collectors. Parts are pretty easy to find and many shops can work on them if necessary. I did the Doghead starter relay on both of mine. At $13.00 cheap mod to do...just remember to disconnect batterys before doing anything electrical!

mdeamicis

Thanks bobcat. Yea, electricity bites hard. AS a seahawk mech a have all the basic skills to work on most things. I just have to learn all the intricacies of diesel and M1009 worlds. I would not call myself a MV collector. This will probably be the only one I ever own. I just have always loved K5 blazers since I was a kid. I was starting to look for the bones of a 75 to drop a 91 suburban intro when this opportunity jumped at me. I was interested in her mostly for the smog exemption but the diesel intimidated me. I know nothing of them and all I did know was expensive and complicated. My misunderstanding has been enlightened and now I am anxious to learn everything.

I think I have come across this starter mod, probably lurking here trying to decide if this was a good or bad idea. I am going to have to look into it more.

A really cool fact about this particular M1009 is that it did 25 years in the marines, 10 of them in OIF/OEF overseas. But logged only 38k before it was acquired by the guy I got it from, also a marine, who got it out of Barstow. He was able to pull her complete history so I know her full lineage. Also, having been a dry climate truck she has very little rust and only on the nuts and bolts of some of the things bolted to the frame.

She is a rock solid foundation for the family adventure mobile I want her to become.

KansasBobcat

Thanks bobcat. Yea, electricity bites hard. AS a seahawk mech a have all the basic skills to work on most things. I just have to learn all the intricacies of diesel and M1009 worlds. I would not call myself a MV collector. This will probably be the only one I ever own. I just have always loved K5 blazers since I was a kid. I was starting to look for the bones of a 75 to drop a 91 suburban intro when this opportunity jumped at me. I was interested in her mostly for the smog exemption but the diesel intimidated me. I know nothing of them and all I did know was expensive and complicated. My misunderstanding has been enlightened and now I am anxious to learn everything.

I think I have come across this starter mod, probably lurking here trying to decide if this was a good or bad idea. I am going to have to look into it more.

A really cool fact about this particular M1009 is that it did 25 years in the marines, 10 of them in OIF/OEF overseas. But logged only 38k before it was acquired by the guy I got it from, also a marine, who got it out of Barstow. He was able to pull her complete history so I know her full lineage. Also, having been a dry climate truck she has very little rust and only on the nuts and bolts of some of the things bolted to the frame.

She is a rock solid foundation for the family adventure mobile I want her to become.
Did not know you are a Seahawk mechanic..hope my battery suggestion did not insult you. There a frequent posts on this site and others about disasters when not disconnecting batterys. For example frying the EES on HMMWV...very expensive mistake. So when ever I mention anything electrical like doghead relay I give the warning. As to the history on your truck, you are very lucky to know its history! Also the lack of rust is great as that is one of the biggest problems with CUCV bodys. Good luck with your new toy. Bob

mdeamicis

BelatedBelated UpdarUpdate.

:roll: Sooooo......

I ended up getting the big black beast of a retired from USMC M1009 that did a whopping 24 years of service including a ten year rotation in Kuwait. I am the second owner besides Uncle Sam, and the first was also a Marine. I have yet to get with the previous owner about it, but he did run down the complet history on the truck through an active duty bud in the, motor pool. I have put just under a thousand miles on her and she is just about to roll over the 50k mark, verified by the maintenance records.

She is slightly out of uniform having been lifted and cut to run 39 inches of rubber. Most of the military brackets have been removed and she is flat black. This is ok with me because I am not planning to go historical military vehicle route anyway. This is going to be an adventure rig geared for cross country and extended back country runs. So I will be heavily modifying her anyway.

I have a long list of purpose driven projects for this rig while she is my current daily driver. The short list includes AC, Dana 60s, turbo, moving down to 35s, receivers front and back with receiver mounted winch , long range comms, roof rrack with tent
and this is supposed to be the short list.

I will make a build thread and post a link here.

Last edited: