• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Member and new owner of a 1986 M1009

ywgspotter

Figured I'd introduce myself and my M1009. Purchased it last month in Hibbing MN after contemplating buying one from Texas. Drove it back home to Winnipeg in about 6-7 hours and it didn't give me any trouble. Currently in the process of trying to get it to pass a safety, putting in new seatbelts and it should be good to go. Also just learned about that all important doghead relay mod when the starter got stuck on. Love the truck so far.
IMG_3332.jpgIMG_3393.jpgIMG_3337.jpg

Mike

ywgspotter

Thanks! Was told to join up by a fellow member, Davin from Winnipeg. I'm impressed by the amount of knowledge and resources available on here. All of which I'm sure will be of help in the time to come.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome aboard from Nevada. Good looking M1009, they're a good truck. Can't forget. "GO JETS GO"

Cape Coastie

CWO4 ENG/MSS, USCG, RET.
Welcome from Cape Cod, MA. There is all the info you need here but if not someone on here will have the answer or at least an opinion. Good luck with the new truck. Looks good.

ywgspotter

Thanks folks. Was told it has a 4" lift so I'm looking purchasing some 33" tires after I wear the current 31's down a bit, maybe after my tentative trip down to South Carolina if the truck is still mechanically sound. But I'll test it on a 26 hour trip to Alberta first. And the K30 is my dads, ex fire department.

alpine44

Thanks folks. Was told it has a 4" lift so I'm looking purchasing some 33" tires after I wear the current 31's down a bit, maybe after my tentative trip down to South Carolina if the truck is still mechanically sound. But I'll test it on a 26 hour trip to Alberta first. And the K30 is my dads, ex fire department.
Welcome to the club. Let me know when you are heading to SC. By then, my M1009 should be at our new home near Asheville, NC. It also has 4" lift and I am running LT315/75R16, All-Terrain T/A KO2 tires (as shown in Avatar) and am really happy with them. You would need different rims though for these.

Last edited:

ywgspotter

Will do, want to head down there for the Southern 500 September long but we'll see if that plan lasts. And different rims eh? Wider I'm assuming? Unfortunately I don't have stock rims although the current ones one there don't look too bad at least in my opinion.

someoldmoose

Bonus Nachos from Southcentral Pennsylavania ! Glad to see another 1009 going to a good home. Is the crew cab a local ? Fire Service colors maybe ? I too am a Y W G spotter
(Yuengling-lovin' White Girl :shock: spotter) but maybe yours means sumthin else. Anyways . . . sooooo glad to hear ya already have the doghead mod licked so we won't have to see another new thread aboot that one, eh. ( J K, any thread about any problem at any time is cooooooool ) . PLEASE never hesitate to ask ANYTHING aboot yer B A Blazer, er M1009. . . she has earned the title. You will then have the wonderful opportunity to read through from 2 to over 100 opinions about how to handle, diagnose, determine, analyze, and repair it. I LOOOOOOOOOVE the internet and am very glad it wasn't around when I was turnin' wrenches to keep my kids fedded and bedded. I never woulda made a half-pence. EVERY millenial now knows how to fix any problem just by watching a Youtube vid or two. Not to mention the cars know what is wrong with them before it happens. That is why I am buying a 50 year old. We will understand each other.

So, again, welcome. Good luck and Happy Motoring !

Last edited:

ywgspotter

Bonus Nachos from Southcentral Pennsylavania ! Glad to see another 1009 going to a good home. Is the crew cab a local ? Fire Service colors maybe ? I too am a Y W G spotter
(Yuengling-lovin' White Girl :shock: spotter) but maybe yours means sumthin else. Anyways . . . sooooo glad to hear ya already have the doghead mod licked so we won't have to see another new thread aboot that one, eh. ( J K, any thread about any problem at any time is cooooooool ) . PLEASE never hesitate to ask ANYTHING aboot yer B A Blazer, er M1009. . . she has earned the title. You will then have the wonderful opportunity to read through from 2 to over 100 opinions about how to handle, diagnose, determine, analyze, and repair it. I LOOOOOOOOOVE the internet and am very glad it wasn't around when I was turnin' wrenches to keep my kids fedded and bedded. I never woulda made a half-pence. EVERY millenial now knows how to fix any problem just by watching a Youtube vid or two. Not to mention the cars know what is wrong with them before it happens. That is why I am buying a 50 year old. We will understand each other.

So, again, welcome. Good luck and Happy Motoring !
The crew cab was an ex local fire truck which before that I believe was even an ex hydro truck. While I do certainly enjoy YWG spotting, mine stems from watching aircraft over at the CYWG airport :lol: Youtube has certainly been of great assistance to myself for a little more visual how to, but you can't beat real expertise that's for sure!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks