• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New member and owner of M35A2

Chateau Marquis

By way of introduction, my father and I are the new owners of a 1967 Kaiser M35A2 with a 1988 Hercules turbo 136hp engine. I just bought it in Las Vegas and only spent an hour with the vehicle during purchase. I will be returning to Vegas in November to resurrect and drive her back to California. It has been sitting for 4 years. The previous owner stopped driving, because the brake pedal went to the floor. She says she drove it from Texas to Vegas in 2010 and put a few hundred miles on her in Vegas until the brake pedal hit the floor. She also says it needs new batteries, but should run. She also bought a new master cylinder, but never installed it, because she was told it was the air pack that needed to be replaced. The oil is full. I squeezed bottom radiator hose, no coolant. I opened both air tanks and a quart of clean water came out of one and 1/2 quart out of the other.

My plan is to replace all fluids, filters, belts, and batteries. Rebuild the air pack with a kit and bleed the brakes. I will only have 5 days in Vegas to accomplish the mission.

1.) What batteries do you recommend?
2.) Will a long version rebuild kit work on a short version air pack?
2.) Any and all advice appreciated on my resurrection plan of getting it started and stopping.
3.) What I should and should not do.

I look forward to your responses.

Mark & Dan

Attachments

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome from KY. You got a real cream puff there. Sitting four years for a M35 is like a long nap. Put two new group 31 850cca or better batteries in it, install a new or rebuilt air pack, (you won't have time to rebuild it right the first time, to much moisture in the system and it is corroded bad inside), master cylinder may fix the brake pedal, then again it may need wheel cylinders. The no coolant may lead to a bad hose or rusted out radiator. Air tanks may be rusted out. Get it running so you can drive it up on a trailer or tow it. To many variables to work out in five days. You will be rushed and may compromise yours/public safety. Once safe at home, take your time and go through it. Do it right and it will last forever. Keep us posted.

JC

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with Scar59. I've worked thru several of these trucks with brake issues and, just as Scar59 said, you don't want to cut corners and it could be several issues. My best practice is replace/rebuild Master cylinder, air pack and all wheel cylinders then flush/fill with fresh DOT 5. Never failed me yet. But, when I cut corners, I had brakes one day and none the next! Not good with a truck this size/weight.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am with scar...don't try and rebuild the air pack on the fly. The "parked when pedal went to the floor" and water in the air tanks story tells me that whoever had the truck did not know much about it and probably did not do any maintenance, either. I'd be double careful checking it over.

If you are **** bent on driving it, use the five days to concentrate on everything safety-related on your truck and fix what is needed. Below is what I think would make for five interesting days and others will pile it on as they see fit!
- have a grease gun ready and bring it under the truck; clean and grease every zerk you encounter as you go along.
- replace air pack
- replace master (you already have a spare)
- Check out all 6 brake cylinders, rubber hoses and hard lines, (you need to refill brake fluid and bleed the brakes anyway; check and replace what's needed and do the job only once!)
- adjust brakes
- If the axle seals are dry, leave them alone (if leaking, replace); but do check wheel bearing play and noise; check front axle boots
- Check drive line bolts (U joint flanges) and check dog bones visually and with pry bar (all 12 ends!)
- Check play in drag link (adjustable) and steering box; check oil level in steering box
- check tires for dry rot
- make sure lug nuts are tight (remember you have L and R studs!!)
- if coolant system is empty, pull rad and have it tested/fixed as needed. New lower and upper coolant hose if they look the least suspicious.

- oil and filter change and take oil sample and send it off for analysis
- inspect tank; if there is any crap inside, drain contents, clean tank as well as you can. Remove fuel filters and fuel line at tank and blow through with compressed air. New primary and secondary filters.

- follow the battery cables to the frame and the starter before you plunk the batteries in. Many have worn insulation; you have no battery disconnect/master switch so you don't want to start a fire. Fix or replace and add a battery disconnect right away, if you can.

Once the girl is running, check alternator output and adjust if needed. All the other good stuff..is it building air, does the buzzer work, check brakes, any coolant or oil leaks....fun times :)

Last edited:

dmetalmiki

Welcome to the site, hobby, friendships, and the events to come, Follow all the previous advice's, to complete a Great project drive home..get quotes to transport it just in case before hand. Don't forget those tires, And that spare wheel. good luck with the trip home. Keep us posted, with pictures.

maa45069

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congratulations on the truck! You should get it started put on a trailer and get it home. Trust me.... it is an expensive trip if you have major problems on way home.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Chateau Marquis

Thank you for all the advice. I will post in the classified ads for a NOS air pack and not rebuild with a kit. I shall keep you all posted on our progress. If there are any M35A2 mechanically skilled owner's in Las Vegas that want to stop by and tell us what we are doing wrong or help participate in the resurrection/recovery, you are more than welcome! I'm gathering the troops and acquiring supplies for a Nov 13th-18th resurrection and recovery mission.

It's our first M35A2, but I just went through resurrecting a 1989 Hino turbo diesel, 13,800 lbs, 5 speed manual mechanic's service truck that was sitting for over 12 years. This will mainly be used by my 74 year old, navy veteran, father as a weekly driver and for us to attend local events.

Chateau Marquis

I would agree from talking to the previous owner that she did zero maintenance and lost interest. Her next purchase was a 1976 Firetruck and then she proceeded to buy a 1997 military vehicle same type and size as the M35A2. They all need work, but she does not have the skill or tools only the real estate. She is a collector that moved on from rare vintage Star Wars legos and into military/municipal vehicles and commercial ovens and wants to focus on getting parts for her 1997 MV.

rustystud

I totally agree with everyone here about trailering it home. There is just to much to check and fix in just five days. This last person let it set for 4 years, but how many years was it abused before that ? Seems like they didn't care for it, and for the previous owner who knows ? Just get it trailered home and then take care of business !
By the way, Welcome to the green disease ! and if your wondering there is no cure ! :tank:

Chateau Marquis

So that is what you call the disease, when you know nothing about MVs last Monday and now every search and conversation starts with M35A2. I had similar symptoms during my previous experience owning a 1940 BSA M20 motorcycle from WWII.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So that is what you call the disease, when you know nothing about MVs last Monday and now every search and conversation starts with M35A2. I had similar symptoms during my previous experience owning a 1940 BSA M20 motorcycle from WWII.
-oh yeah, it's a disease. Next will be a nice trailer to pull behind the deuce, because you need to haul stuff. Then a nice generator, heck you'll need standby power. Then you'll find another truck, heck it to good of a deal to pass up. All good.......

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks