• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New member, COLD weather recovery story.

Tmadsen

I am a fairly new member here but I have been lurking and reading for quite a while before I actually signed up. I wanted to share my story of my recent cold weather recovery...

I Live in Laramie Wyoming but I work in North Eastern North Dakota, so when I was looking for a MV to purchase I looked in North Dakota thinking since I am there anyways it wouldn't be a problem. Well I found a M923a2 that I wanted. I was weary about picking it up because of the cold weather. The plan was to Fly to Fargo, catch a ride to Grand Forks, get the truck and drive it approx. 200 miles to work where I would have 20 days to go over it and make it ready to drive the 900 mile trip home to Laramie. the biggest concern was that because I was flying I would be unable to bring anything that might be needed to get the truck to work.

long story short.... I got to the truck, it started and ran just fine . the weather was miserable, -10 deg outside, 15 mph blowing snow. The Heater worked (YAY) but not well enough for a soft top driving into the wind at -10 below. I was freezing my ass off. My worst fears were realized the first time it started losing power and died alongside the highway in the middle of nowhere ND. The tank was full of summer bland diesel and it was jelling up the filters. I stopped a total of 6 times that night and drained out the filters and primed the system back up, lucky for me I had an adjustable wrench to loosen the drain plug on the tank to fill the filters after I drained them. And yes I did poor in some 911, but for those of you who work with diesel engines in -10 deg weather and 15+ mph wind ... you know that additives sometimes just don't cut it. but I finally made it to work.

Not much was wrong with the truck that worried me too much, except the summer blend fuel which I promptly replaced. The CTIS doesn't work (I couldn't care less) and the ABS doesn't work (this I will fix). other than that it runs great. I replaced the front drivers seat with a much more comfortable one that has armrests and adjusts. and when it was time I climbed up in and started out on my 900 mile trip home.

No problems on the long trip home except that I once again froze my ass off until I got 3/4 the way to south Dakota and the weather improved to above 0 ( then the heater actually kept up with the leaks in the cab). I did notice the truck shifts rather hard from 4th to 5th ( I will investigate this). but all in all it was an enjoyable trip. I stopped in Minot for some fuel and a service station to check a leaky tire (turned out to be a valve stem core) , some friendly guy stopped by to say hi and mentioned he was a member on steel soldiers (he asked my handle and I couldn't remember it ) .

I have many plans to modify the truck in a few different ways. I have already turned up the fuel screw and backed off the full fuel nuts on the pump which gives it a dramatic increase in power. Its still very slow to start out from a complete stop ( I think this is called "spool up") I know its not a race truck but it seems to me it should not be that slow, but once its gets moving and the turbo gets turning the acceleration is more than I would expect by far.

Here are some pictures because I know how much everyone loves pictures.. (btw .. the little guy is my nephew and he loves big trucks) the truck and trailer are both really dirty, the trailer doesn't have a lunette eye on it yet and it only chained to the truck for now, I am going to install a cot and heater and hardware to make a little camper out of the CBC.

Anyways.... ALOT of great info on these forums and I want to thank everyone here for all the great threads, I have relied upon them and appreciate it !!!

M923a2.jpg M923a2_2.jpg

Last edited:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Every person that drives a car should go on a ride along with an adventurer like yourself. Basic Peary survival adventure, Great story!

Can you tell us how you got the background on your photos to blend like that. Makes the truck stand out and there are no distractions, beautiful pics and I want one of my truck like that. Thanks for sharing.

Tmadsen

Every person that drives a car should go on a ride along with an adventurer like yourself. Basic Peary survival adventure, Great story!

Can you tell us how you got the background on your photos to blend like that. Makes the truck stand out and there are no distractions, beautiful pics and I want one of my truck like that. Thanks for sharing.

that photo did come out pretty neat, I wish I had a secret but it was just a very cold day, there was new snow on the ground and there was a heavy snowy fog-like cloud out that day. I didn't do anything to the picture, if you look really hard you can see a fence in the background. it was just a lucky day and the cold foggy sky was the same color and the snowy ground. this photo was taken 2 days ago in Gillette Wyoming (on my way home)

the photo in the grass was just taken today at my place in Laramie. just another cold dreary looking day in wyoming

lindsey97

Cool pics. Welcome to the forum. That is pretty cold up there, and the wind chill makes it even worse.

To adjust your shifting, there is a cable hooked to your injection pump with your throttle cable/linkage. The end of the cable has a clevis, and shortening the cable raises trans pressure, shift firmness, and the rpm at which gears 2-5 upshift at.

There is a thread on here about my transmission shifting habits and my end results. lots of good info from members here in that thread.

When offroading or driving on gravel county roads with lower speed limits than a paved highway, I have found that my truck likes to have its gear selection limited manually with the shifter. Example: if your top speed is 40mph, use 1-4 on the shifter. Or if you are only go to travel 30mph or less, use 1-3 on the shifter. My truck likes to be warmed up, running approx. 170F on the trans temp. I feel that trans temp does affect shift characteristics somewhat. An aggressive driver isn't a bad thing either for consistent upshift patterns. From a stop, accelerate using 50% throttle and hold your foot still until you reach your desired travel speed. Drivers that use 100% throttle and let off to 0%, using the throttle like a light switch will not be pleased with how the trans acts.

There are two transmission filter on this truck: one in the trans pan, and a spin-on, on the right side near the splash guard by the wheel well. Some folks run motor oil in the trans as the military did, and others on this forum use a full synthetic trans oil that is thinner. thinner might be better in your often cold environment.

Enjoy your big green monster!!

todds112

Having flashbacks of driving a Pinzgauer back to Jackson, WY from Iowa. It was -15, no heat (air-cooled engine, soft top). I stopped in Cabelas in SD and only bought hand/ foot warmers and earplugs. Man that was a long ride. I've never been so cold in my life.

Good job on the recovery! Have fun with the truck.

Tmadsen

Nice truck, I live in wyoming and work in killdeer North Dakota. North east ND? Not oilfield work I assume.

I drove through killdeer, that's when things just started warming up. Actually yes.. I am a drilling consultant for Enduro Operating, we aren't drilling the bakken shale (though that is what I did the past 5 years), the bakken isn't the only oil in ND . I am currently drilling up around Bottineau.

It was so cold my long johns and jeans didn't keep me warm I had to have a second coat over my legs.

R Racing

Welcome to the SS. If you do anymore cold weather driving place a good size piece of cardboard over your radiator to block about 3/4 of it. It will help keeping the engine temp up and warm up the cab a good 20 degrees warmer or so.

Tmadsen

Welcome to the SS. If you do anymore cold weather driving place a good size piece of cardboard over your radiator to block about 3/4 of it. It will help keeping the engine temp up and warm up the cab a good 20 degrees warmer or so.

thank you, that is exactly what I did, you can even see the cardboard in the pics, at first I had only a small 6x8 inch opening of the radiator, the rest was covered, but by the time I got to Wyoming I had to stop and remove about half of the cardboard due to engine temps.