• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Member - Columbus Ohio

RuhRoh

Hello All - New to SS and enjoy reading about the recoveries and success stories of bringing one home. Really love to see the youtube videos of the rallies and these big rigs off-road in the woods.

A friend of mine turned me onto the GL listings - he's been buying some generators and other items from the local depot. Well, he never should have done that. The other day we were looking at a listing for a M925A1 at WPAFB and I talked him into placing a bid. You can guess what happened next - he won. So now he's on me to help him recover the truck and bring it back to Columbus. It's a 2010 rebuild from Red River Army Depot with less than 1000 miles since rebuild so I'm hoping the drive back is smooth. But not sure what to expect.

So, I don't really own a rig but I'm probably in the best spot as I get to help him spend his money and have some fun while working on it together.

I've read some of the posts and will be looking for some tips from the group on driving this beast back to Columbus. Any help/suggestions/tips would be appreciated. The description says it starts with a jump. The video showed it running and moving on the lot.

Also looking for others in the Columbus area with similar trucks, knowledge and those who are interested in getting them dirty. Probably wouldn't hurt having the name of someone in the Dayton area with experience just in case we run into trouble getting it running.

Thanks to all the members who provide the valuable information on this site. Looking forward to contributing what I can.

Here are some images from the GL listing - will upload others when we get it back to Columbus:

View attachment 413171View attachment 413172View attachment 413173View attachment 413174View attachment 413175View attachment 413176View attachment 413177

Attachments

RuhRoh

Thanks ARYankee - seems like a great group to know and learn from. The truck looks pretty clean in the pics. We didn't preview so hope we aren't getting a basketcase. Can't image so with the recent rebuild. Any info on what is usually involved with a rebuild from Red River? Is it only mechanical or do they go through the entire vehicle?

jw4x4

Hello, and welcome to the site. Read all of the TM's you can, and soak up every bit of knowledge you can from the threads. Some of it may not make sense until you get the truck.

ARYankee

Thanks ARYankee - seems like a great group to know and learn from. The truck looks pretty clean in the pics. We didn't preview so hope we aren't getting a basketcase. Can't image so with the recent rebuild. Any info on what is usually involved with a rebuild from Red River? Is it only mechanical or do they go through the entire vehicle?
It just depends as far as rebuild goes. I would prepare for the worse. Do a search on here because there are a lot of recovery threads along with lists of what you will need and what to expect. Like everyone has said, study the TMs, especially the -10.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome aboard. Like Gimpy says, I'm close to the GL lot and many a truck and trailer have been driven or towed to my place from there. Andrew is good to work with at that lot.

Read the -10 manual. I can't tell from the pics if it is an ABS truck but if it is do not turn the battery master off until the engine has been shutdown and is no longer turning.

RuhRoh

Thanks guys for the warm welcome and helpful tips. Saved the TM -10 section to my pc and going through some of the sections. Haspin looks to be a blast - watched some of the years past videos on youtube. How far do most drive to come to the rally?

swbradley1 - how do we tell if it has ABS or not? Haven't looked through the TM to find that info as of yet. We did find something on the web about these having issues with the torque converter locking up and that it was a fatal problem resulting in the install of ABS. Is that of concern or hype? We will have a chevy 2500 for a chase vehicle - will that be sufficient to jump the truck to start? Or should we bring fresh batteries to install? All stuff we'll be looking for here.

thanks again for all the help guys.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guess I should have read your OP. It is an A1 so it probably does not have ABS.

By the way, that one starts but all of them in that sale were started. I just called and asked. :)

RuhRoh

Beautiful - One less thing to worry about on the recovery. Thanks for the help. [thumbzup]

Are these subject to the problems with the brakes easily locking up? I read a recent thread from a member in WA about his recovery of an A1 and he had ABS but the light was on and not working. Also experienced the brakes locking up on him although he mentioned they got better as he drove it.

RuhRoh

Lots of great people from the Cincy area. I'm actually in Northern KY about 20 minutes from Cincy but my friend who bought the truck lives in Columbus. I'll be heading up to help him bring it home in a couple weeks. Once we check it all out and get familiar with it we hope to head to Haspin or other rallys in the area. Thanks for all the tips.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wouldn't say great people. Maybe half-way decent.

Except Gimpy he is great and still needs to help me get my sheet metal back on.

:)