• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New member considering a cooler tow rig

lotero

hey everyone, i am from NM and recently checked out a duece that was on gov liquidation recently and now want one! i am the type of guy who gets a project, puts 110% into it, gets bored, finds a new one and moves on... that being said i want to sell my highly modified cummins tow rig/race truck to fund a duece project that will tow my rock crawler to events and off road locations. am i crazy?? thanks in advance..

L

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Top speed about 55. Hearing protection required. Leg room, non existent. 2 passengers max unless kids. Cool factor, high. Consider an M923 or M925 for your toter.

lotero

i am lucky enough to be within about 100 miles of very good wheeling in each direction from me. i am 5'8" so leg room isnt a huge issue. hearing protection is also not a problem as it will be the occasional weekend jaunt. thanks for the suggestions so far.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If non of those considerations are a problem then I think it would be a good platform for your needs.

lotero

sorry if i implied i wasnt worried about my ears, i will wear double hearing protection. i am an F-16 crew chief so double hearing protection is second nature to me, my main question is other than minor stuff like that is there any reason not to?? i am getting excited to finally own a duece that i have wanted for a long time!

kipman

You will love it, it is a truck that was designed many moons ago, very simple, low power, it is all in the gears. The deuce will slow you down and make you take your time.

littlebob

And if you're going to use it and depend on it to get you 200m round trips, make sure its up to the task. don't get the fever too bad that it clouds your vision, and buy something that takes to much money/time away from you to do the rock crawling you like to do.

area52

Like the others have said, compared to your Dodge the deuce is slow, loud and underpowered for a tow vehicle. No power steering unless you put the air assist kit on, no A/C and if you break down and can't fix it, you are looking at a very large tow bill.

But they are cool to drive around!:p

area52

Also forgot to add, that if you are gonna put a crawler in the back, it had better be under 12 foot long cause that is how long the bed is.

If you are ever up in Farmington to crawl around the glade, give me a shout and you can come over and drive my deuce and see how it is.

lotero

Also forgot to add, that if you are gonna put a crawler in the back, it had better be under 12 foot long cause that is how long the bed is.

If you are ever up in Farmington to crawl around the glade, give me a shout and you can come over and drive my deuce and see how it is.
awesome! i might just take you up on that!! thanks! my crawler is only about 9.5 feet long at the most so it should fit just fine

lotero

thanks that is a great link. in my career field hearing conservation is a growing concern. it used to be that the old timers just accepted hearing loss due to the fact that we work around running aircraft all day but it is now being stressed that it is avoidable and preventable. thank you for the concern..

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
I am not sure about how you plan to tag it, but there are limitations in my state, and plenty others, as to towing and recreational use of a retired MV. Historic, antique and classic tags have limitations. There are plenty of threads on this site that deal with disgruntal members who get caught towing or hauling items with "collector type" tags. So if you plan to tow an RV please verify that you have the correct tags. Just my 2 cents!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks