• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Member. Detroit Rock City

UncleCumpy

Hello I am a new member. I have been reading up a few years since back when the site was all green and yellow. Thought I created a member but I guess that was years and years ago.

Im joining now because I'm thinking about building a 109 camper or maybe buying somebodys already done. If I build it I want A2 if I buy it I want A3. I'm going to check out the truck "derby" has to start. He is nearby.

I also want to gain knowledge and make connections with other members around the country. I'm a member of expo portal,ih8mud,advrider and when traveling around the globe it comes in handy having like minded friends willing to help in need. So now that I'm planning a bunch of crosscountry trips in a old MV and setting up some land with as much government surplus as I can I wanted to join and be a part of this community.

I have not been in the military but thank you to all that have. I have a lot of respect for placing yourself where I'm not interested. I get to live my life with no worries so thanks for that. The "politics" around the military is a lot different than the "people" if you know what I mean. So thanks for your service. My girlfriend is a REDHORSE at Camp Perry. She likes big trucks too! So shes excited to own some of the things she has used in the ANG.

Once I learn more I will be able to help anybody. If people in the area need help I'm more than willing to be the "wrench grunt" so I can learn and get hands on time with these big trucks. My grandfather ran the bus garage so I'm familiar with big diesels and I'm a huge dieselhead. My user name is DetroitDiesel on those other sites!

People like Lotec and a few others on expoportal are my inspiration to using MV instead of fancy earthroamers. So now with the forum help I can build my take on old MV camper and motorcycle trailer. Look forward to it. Cheers
Lane

FloridaAKM

Welcome from Florida & to the Green Iron Addiction, this is your warning that the addiction is not curable. Most of us do not want it cured, just increased in how much stuff we can get & keep it running... ;-)

m109a2

Welcome Detroit I have worked in your neck of the woods and got treated well by I.B.E.W. L.U.58 . I wanted a m109 ,m185 or something like that,But what I ended up with is something did not look for,but I am very very happy with.A m35a2cw/w and a m35 frame mated with a 105 pintal with a 109 box.I still have my house and a truck.Al.

UncleCumpy

Lane,
Welcome to the Green addiction.
Welcome from Florida & to the Green Iron Addiction, this is your warning that the addiction is not curable. Most of us do not want it cured, just increased in how much stuff we can get & keep it running... ;-)
Welcome to the hobby and the people in it. Now shop for something green use, and enjoy it.
Welcome from southern Indiana.
Welcome from Texas.
Welcome from Louisiana
Hi Lane. Welcome from Washington.
Welcome from Virginia Beach
Thank you gentleman. Glad to be here. I am certainly a prime candidate for the green fever. I currently suffer from Subaru and idi and psd fever. Recently caught a case of the Land Cruiser fever which led me to needing a truck big enough to make a camper to get away from obsessing lol!!! Take a break from one fever and catch another!!! Now I need some land and I'll be that old guy in 30 years with a big field of military trucks that all my neighbors think is "weird".

UncleCumpy

Welcome Detroit I have worked in your neck of the woods and got treated well by I.B.E.W. L.U.58 . I wanted a m109 ,m185 or something like that,But what I ended up with is something did not look for,but I am very very happy with.A m35a2cw/w and a m35 frame mated with a 105 pintal with a 109 box.I still have my house and a truck.Al.
That's a good local I have lots of friends there. I am Local 25. Ironworker. Haven't been taking jobs in a few years though. Had a knee injury led to a new career.

So let me try and follow along I'm new with the nomenclature. You have a deuce with dropsides (c) and a whistler (w) and a winch (w). And you tow a custom made thing. The thing is made from a deuce frame? And you used the trailer hitch off the front of a 105 trailer. Then you mounted a 109 box on the frame. How many axles?

That's right along and idea I had of taking a service bed truck like a power company uses on f450 and taking the f450 and remove the engine and front axle, trans, drivetrain etc and welding a hitch to it. Lifting the rear with air bags and towing it behind a school bus. The cab on the f450 would be aerodynamic as opposed to towing an enclosed cargo trailer like a wind sail. If you are saying the 109 box can be removed that's a whole nother dimension opening.

I'm going to have lots of questions and look forward to building something off all the insight. I heard I could find an "officer quarters" 109 and it may be already a camper inside. Gotta research.

m109a2

No dropside standard bed two axles M35 frame with 105 lunette ring.I can not claim fame on this build that goes to Mr Neil Hendricks.In fact if you look on show us your trailer my rig is on the first page of the thread.Al

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks