• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Member from Fort Wayne, Indiana

The PIG Smith

Greetings!!

I just made it over from the IFSJA Forum just a few days ago.
Same screenname there as I have here.

I've used my J20 as a tow rig until the rust has it parked permanently.
Right now, I am using my '93 GMC 3500 series Diesel powered extended length cargo van as a tow rig.
It does okay.

Currently, I am lusting after a M-915 as the ultimate tow rig!
I would like to have a rig that I could travel from the Midwest to out West and haul back these rust free FSJ projects.
...like a FSJ Panel wagon, or a '91 Final Edition Grand Waggie or a Honcho Sportside.
Also, I am getting into Historic Construction Equipment and will need to rig to haul antique dozers.

The commercial requirements and commercial expenses of a 915 has me rattled as I am only a hobbyist.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bryan:
Hello! This is Marti from Warsaw, IN. Welcome!!
I am not sure I would recommend a 915 for long range road hauling. You might be better with a civilian tractor of some kind because it will give you better road speed at less cost per mile. I do not own a 915, so this is an opinion from other 5 tons we own, but they do not have overdrive transmissions. Guys on here with 915's can add their comments.
Regards Marti

The PIG Smith

Hello, Marti
I used to work in Warsaw.
I'd like to come up and visit with you someday, check out your collection.

I think maybe you are confused (or I am confused)
A M-915 is a line haul tractor.

While it is a custom truck built for the military, it is really a civilian truck and not a tactical truck like a 5 ton.
M-915 are powered by a Cummins 400 and the first models were backed by a 16 semi-automatic 16 Caterpillar transmission.
These were style rigs I rode in when I served in the US Army in the early 80's.
The M-915 that a person can see offered on GL are the A1 models.
These rigs sport a large Allison 5 speed automatic transmission.
I've been reading and studying what owners here say and most here claim they are really nice trucks.
With few exceptions, owners claim that with 400HP under the hood, they will run with any civilian truck on the open road.
However, for a hobbyist like me, the cost of commercial tags/license, insurance and a CDL maybe more than I can bare.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bryan:
You are right, I got my numbers wrong. I can understand you wanting to get one! A really nice way to go. I also understand your dislike of the government who wants to get into your pocket so deep for all of the commercial requirements. Just another tax in my estimation!
I worked at Sun Metal on 15 North for 32 years until it was sold to a company in Milwaukee. I now work for them out of my home as a design and testing engineer. I am very grateful to them for keeping me on as an employee. Where did you work here?
You are welcome to come down. You can send me a private email to work out the visit. You might be interested in the "Coyote Condo" on our M-139 5 ton bridge truck. You should find pictures of it on this site under those key words.
I find your interest in old construction equipment interesting.
Regards Marti

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bryan:
This is not my day! I meant to say I found your interest in old Jeeps interesting, not construction equipment! I had just read another post expressing interest in old dozers, etc. and got it mixed up.
We have a parts J-200, 1964 and an M-715 that is a good running vehicle, but needs a little care and paint on the body.
Where would you recommend one go for accelerator cables for the J-200 and Gladiator series with the 230 OHC engine? I took one off the J-200 for the M-715 when I heard Memphis Equipment wanted about $44.00 for a new one.

Regards Marti

The PIG Smith

Bryan:
This is not my day! I meant to say I found your interest in old Jeeps interesting, not construction equipment! I had just read another post expressing interest in old dozers, etc. and got it mixed up.
We have a parts J-200, 1964 and an M-715 that is a good running vehicle, but needs a little care and paint on the body.
Where would you recommend one go for accelerator cables for the J-200 and Gladiator series with the 230 OHC engine? I took one off the J-200 for the M-715 when I heard Memphis Equipment wanted about $44.00 for a new one.

Regards Marti
Yes, I am first and foremost a Full Size Jeep enthusiast.
I own a 1981 J20 3/4 ton pickup with a flat bed (avatar pic) and my current project is a 1982 J10 1/2 ton pickup.
I did own a 1986 Grand Wagoneer, but I sold that last year.
My goal is to get the J10 put back together to be able to take it to "The Dunes" at Silver Lake, MI.

My first introduction to FSJ was looking at M-715s at Clark Military Trucks when they had their shop on the NW side of Charleston, WV.
They have since moved to Poca, WV.

For FSJ parts, I would contact Zack at Z&M Jeeps in Toledo.
I've known Zack for several years and he hosts a FSJ get together a few times a year.
Without question, he will have what you need for your J200 and here is how to get a hold of him: Z&M Jeeps Ltd. Home Page
I would call him if you have $$$ to spend.

The second place I would check is BJs Offroad at Full-Size Jeep Parts (Wagoneer, Grand Wagoneer, Full-Size Cherokee and J-truck)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks