• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New member from Maine- 1972 M45A2

OhDuck22

I'm a new member and new to owning a military vehicle. Just bought a 1972 M45A2 with only 480 original engine hours and 6200 original miles. it came from the Maine Forest Service and according to the fire chief who maintained it, they rarely used it since 1996 when they got it, and when they got it, it had almost no miles or hours on it and looked brand new! I'm glad to be part of this site now and look forward to digging in to these forums and learning all I can

m715

Hi from western ma. That's a nice looking truck you have. I think I see The front axle covers with the tie down ring. I want to find that kind for my truck. Most fire depts. here took good care of these trucks and did not use them much. What are your plans for the truck? Restore and paint od green?

OhDuck22

I plan on restoring it and maybe making some modern improvements. Not sure about the color, but it won't be red. Right now I'm just doing fluid and filter changes and any maintenance that needs to be done, that way I know when it was done last. I have thought about making a camper. Not sure on that yet. The tank came out today and I like the truck even more now.

m715

What brand are your front tires? I have 2 tires kinda the same tread? How bad did the fd hack the wires, I have seen some real um custom wiring from fd owned trucks.

OhDuck22

What brand are your front tires? I have 2 tires kinda the same tread? How bad did the fd hack the wires, I have seen some real um custom wiring from fd owned trucks.
Surprisingly the FD wired their lights and siren in completely separate from the truck wiring. I have no clue how they made it work though, it was all 12 volt equipment with no converter present.

Jericho

I would offer that if the components were all strictly 12 volt and they didn't use a transformer , they simply tapped the battery bank on the 12 volt side. not uncommon ,the 931 and most 900 series do the very thing . works! Some would argue that this shortens battery life, I run my 12 accys off the 12 volt side all time, and have powered my entire home with a 6/12/18/24 DC to 120/220 AC system battery bank system for 23 years and routinely pull varying voltage and amperages at different points on the bank for different functions, Ive never had an issue, bigger concern is electrolyte levels and charging/. clean terminals. Sounds like an interesting Project!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks