• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New member from MN

HKCOLTSIGGUY

Hello everyone! I joined awhile ago and am finally getting the chance to begin perusing the Steel Soldiers website. I do have a question regarding a Humvee on Gov't Planet that was selling as a buy now for only $3500, just this week. It looked like it was in good shape however the Humvee was a non starter. I was curious if these Humvees had some serious problems with them if they are selling for only $3500?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hello everyone! I joined awhile ago and am finally getting the chance to begin perusing the Steel Soldiers website. I do have a question regarding a Humvee on Gov't Planet that was selling as a buy now for only $3500, just this week. It looked like it was in good shape however the Humvee was a non starter. I was curious if these Humvees had some serious problems with them if they are selling for only $3500?
Welcome to the Outfit!

The thing to do is figure out what kind of wrenching skills you have and then maybe how deep your pockets are. Meaning do you really expect to put batteries into a $3500 truck and drive it home or not. Are you a gambler maybe? It could be a good deal in every way. OR it could be missing half of the parts you need for a running truck.

Not always, but a "Non Starter" could mean that the starter isn't there. The alternator might be gone too. Walking slowly through the pictures will help educate you. Missing belts or hoses might tell you that this particular vehicle was cannibalized while sitting in the "Dead Line" at the motorpool. Who knows what might be missing.

On the other hand, if the body and wheels look really good - that could be a good buy. Then you become the cannibal - after you find another truck that runs.

Just remember that if the deal seems too good to be true chances are - unless you fall into a pile of crap and come out smelling like roses (always and often) you won't be smelling real good.

Welcome to the group for sure...
Start saving your money now.
Follow auctions to the end and see what it sold for.
Remember the fees too!

HKCOLTSIGGUY

Welcome to the Outfit!

The thing to do is figure out what kind of wrenching skills you have and then maybe how deep your pockets are. Meaning do you really expect to put batteries into a $3500 truck and drive it home or not. Are you a gambler maybe? It could be a good deal in every way. OR it could be missing half of the parts you need for a running truck.

Not always, but a "Non Starter" could mean that the starter isn't there. The alternator might be gone too. Walking slowly through the pictures will help educate you. Missing belts or hoses might tell you that this particular vehicle was cannibalized while sitting in the "Dead Line" at the motorpool. Who knows what might be missing.

On the other hand, if the body and wheels look really good - that could be a good buy. Then you become the cannibal - after you find another truck that runs.

Just remember that if the deal seems too good to be true chances are - unless you fall into a pile of crap and come out smelling like roses (always and often) you won't be smelling real good.

Welcome to the group for sure...
Start saving your money now.
Follow auctions to the end and see what it sold for.
Remember the fees too!
Great advice Mullaney and thank you for the reply.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Great advice Mullaney and thank you for the reply.
And if there is some time on an auction, you might paste a link here and ask questions.

Don't post up a what do you guys think, but more like "I spotted something" missing or extra on this particular truck. That will get something you can use to learn about the auctions and the trucks. And somebody will eventually step in and say that at the moment it is a heck of a price - or not.

Another thing to consider is buying something from a reputable dealer. We have a few guys (I am not one!) on here that make a living buying, repairing and selling auction vehicles. You might at least consider that path for yourself.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I forgot to ask you what the term 'Dead Line" means?
The "Dead Line" are the trucks that have failed in some form or fashion. Something dramatic like an IED hit or as simple as the starter going "click" when you turn the key gets them in that line. The Motorpool guys either fix what is broken or they shove the disabled truck over to the far corner of their lot and they pirate parts as needed. Generally the senior NCO will decide what is and is not Dead Lined. Nothing will be labeled as from the dead line (generally) but it happens regularly.

Hope that helps.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks