• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New member from Montana

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
My name is Scott, I'm in southern Montana. I have had a M1008, for a while. Unfortunately the que has prevented much from being done. It needs a little cut and weld, body work, and I'm planning a power train upgrade on it.
Like @Guyfang said - Welcome to the Outfit!

Jump on in, post us up some pictures and tell us all about your new-to-you truck.
Technical Manuals (TM's) are here too if you need troubleshooting help...

And, if you just plan to rework it to your way of thinking think about her as a 1983 Chevy and go find yourself a Chiltons manual and you will have a lot of useful information.

45 Scotty

After purchase I found a cheap 97 k3500 to use as a donor, but then I got what I hope was a good deal on a 94 6bt, which I haven't torn into yet. Current plan is to use the 4L80 and it's TC, out of the 97,married to the 6bt

45 Scotty

These are the poles for the top, which are rusted together, I'm at a loss for how to separate them. A couple days half a can of liquid wrench, torch, improvised slide hammer, haven't budged. Thinking about splitting the outer tube with a thin Dremel disc, then welding the tube shut. I am open to suggestions

Attachments

45 Scotty

These are the poles for the top, which are rusted together, I'm at a loss for how to separate them. A couple days half a can of liquid wrench, torch, improvised slide hammer, haven't budged. Thinking about splitting the outer tube with a thin Dremel disc, then welding the tube shut. I am open to suggestions
Maybe this should be in the CUCV threads? If so, feel free to move it, or I could just repost it there?

45 Scotty

Then my wife might have seen your son as she works there too with the USDA. Yeah I can see your location right outside of Billings.
He commutes from Billings to Miles City everyday?
No he works 4/10, unless he has overtime. He drives out early on Monday, heads home Thursday night. He gets per diem, he's a IBEW Journeyman, an electrician. Currently with Yellowstone. He thought he was done there a while back, he even released his crew, then they added a few more little contracts, but he might be all done there now.

45 Scotty

So I went ahead and split the outer pole, welded one side up, I found I could use a .015 brass shim between the two poles, with my miller 210 turned down all the way I didn't get much burn thru. I got one end, on one pole done, 1/6. But now I'm out of shielding gas, it always something. Living in the boonies is great, until you need something, going into Billings takes up half your day.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks