• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Member from MT

406Matt

Hello All,

My name is Matt. It's very exciting to have joined this forum. Over the course of the last three weeks I have registered on the GP auction site, won an auction, and picked up my brand used 1997 M1097A2!

I took a chance on this puppy as it was not running. But upon returning home, and installing new batteries, she fired right up. Now I'm a huge believer in these trucks, and I have bet my life on their durability time and again. But to be honest I didn't expect this unit to run so quickly and easily.

With that being said, it's not without some issues. The trans control module, and trans relay, are both missing. So it only drives forward in second (I think??) And it's missing some body panels. But overall I think it's a solid starting point for my first HMMWV!

My family and I are very excited to go down the path of turning this beast into a dependable rig to bash through the mountains of Montana. First things first will be to address the missing items, and to replace all the fluids and commonly worn components (perusing this forum has already been a huge help). From there it'll be time to start the laundry list of modifications that I'm sure we'll think we want.

Again, truly excited to be here! Thanks in advance for all the knowledge and guidance. Looking forward to talking with you all soon!

Matt

P.S. Anyone have a TCM lying around...? Haha

20230604_114436.jpg

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hello All,

My name is Matt. It's very exciting to have joined this forum. Over the course of the last three weeks I have registered on the GP auction site, won an auction, and picked up my brand used 1997 M1097A2!

I took a chance on this puppy as it was not running. But upon returning home, and installing new batteries, she fired right up. Now I'm a huge believer in these trucks, and I have bet my life on their durability time and again. But to be honest I didn't expect this unit to run so quickly and easily.

With that being said, it's not without some issues. The trans control module, and trans relay, are both missing. So it only drives forward in second (I think??) And it's missing some body panels. But overall I think it's a solid starting point for my first HMMWV!

My family and I are very excited to go down the path of turning this beast into a dependable rig to bash through the mountains of Montana. First things first will be to address the missing items, and to replace all the fluids and commonly worn components (perusing this forum has already been a huge help). From there it'll be time to start the laundry list of modifications that I'm sure we'll think we want.

Again, truly excited to be here! Thanks in advance for all the knowledge and guidance. Looking forward to talking with you all soon!

Matt

P.S. Anyone have a TCM lying around...? Haha

View attachment 898867
Welcome to the Outfit!

Wow. Really happy to hear that your New-To-You truck was able to be cranked off and move under its own power! If you haven't already, drop down on the concrete and check out your gearboxes for proper amounts of fluid in them. Grab hold of the drive shafts and push up and push to the left and right - expecting no motion. There are little things at the brakes and wheels that appear to be drive shafts - and give them the same treatment. Snap up some pictures while you are down there and post them. Extra eyes will be useful here...

There will most likely be cut wires that were part of the D-Mil process. Radios and such were often powered all the time, so prepare for "hot" wires. Chances are that there will be valves that are missing under the hood as well.

I'm sure some of the guys will pass by here and offer up other suggestions.

Again, congratulations on your Auction Win and again, welcome to the group.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks