• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New member from NWF

Peterbilt88

New member from Destin,Fl. I currently do not have a MV, but I'm hoping to one day. What I would like to know is, if your were to buy one turn key from a dealer and not GL who would you recommended? I've looked at four different sites: Eastern Surplus, Memphis Equipment, White Owl and Oshkosh Equipment sales. The M813 and M818 are the two im interested in.
Thanks for the help

Digger09

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those are both nice choices. There are nice trucks on this site in the classified section. Good luck with the OD addiction. Just my 2cents

SixSpeed

Banned
Welcome to Steel Soldiers! Hope to see you in a MV soon! What are you planning on using it for?

Check out the Florida Member Database here: LINK

As far as a truck, most of the major dealers sell a very nice product. Just depends on how much you are willing to spend. Usually you can find a nice truck from an SS member. 813's are a bit harder to come by.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Welcome to the Green Iron Support Group (our motto...... "we don't need no stinking twelve step program").:cookoo:

Green Iron is addictive....."Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated".

You have fallen into the bad company of good people.:mrgreen:

If you buy from the "usual suspects" you will pay premium but the trucks will have been serviced (in most cases) and supposedly checked out.

If you buy from a dealer you will have to factor in shipping....the 813 will take a whole stepdeck to transport....the 818 could share a trailer with a partial load.
I paid over $1200.00 to move my wrecker from south MS to north AL.

You are fairly close to Ted's Trucks in Dothan, AL '- Teds Trucks N Stuff Store - Military vehicles and parts, milirary surplus items'

I would check with him first....he has a yard full of stuff to pick through.

There are several members that buy to resell......they will prob let you test drive and compare.

Your screen name leads me to believe that you have experience and maybe a CDL.

Unless you are very mechanically inclined or have experience with military vehicles I would do a lot of research and try to make a rally or two before commiting.

We are here to help and you can't find more MV knowlege and expertise on the web than here.

Peterbilt88

Thanks for the welcomes. I was first looking at the 818 but thought for a first truck I would have more fun and get better use out of a 813. My plans for the truck are to use it on the farm, run up to Home Depot and play in the mud.
After seeing what trucks go for on Gl and paying to have it shiped I was looking at roughly 5k before anything was fixed. Thats what led me to look at a dealer for a little more it would be ready to roll.

Peterbilt88

Thanks for the info wreckerman. Yes I do have my cdl and have had it for 11 years now. I am mechanically inclined and can figure some things out. Im sure a MV is a totally different beast. A friend of mine owns a diesel shop and has worked on some MV from EAFB.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks