• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Member from Oregon/ Just Bought M923A2 First Ever, Advice?

poppypizza

So first off Im from the green state of Oregon, wet, rainy, and chilly most of the time. Anyways my brother and I are defiantly into the outdoors and things that survive the outdoors well such as a 5 Ton. He served on tour over in Iraq back in 09' so he saw these and drove these 5 Tons from time to time. He unfortunately didn't fix them and neither of us are by any means Diesel mechanics. Anyways long story short is he wants one to add to his daily driver vehicles. We bid on a M934 up in Washington which at the end of the auction we got outbid on, so we started looking to see what others sold for in California and came across a much cheaper M923A2 in Fontana that was ending within 10 minutes, that looked awesome and watched the video which showed it running and driving around the lot. Acting on impulse we both agreed to bid on that, which we won. We plan to take a train down there and drive it back, I understand its not the smartest idea but we aren't exactly the smartest of people:idea:. My question is (IF) needed would someone around that area that knows about them maybe be able to schedule in a quick check up on it if something doesn't seem right(not for free of course)? I have been doing my research on these rigs a little, but any advice on a stupid drive like this is appreciated. Shipping is a little steep for us plus we get to drive past our moms place which isn't something we can always do. Here is a picture of her! Hopefully we will have it in the driveway next week/end.truck.jpg

Last edited:

goodguyzy

Welcome, im here to answer any questions you have. My advice is not take a train but drive a chase vehicle in case of any problems on the road, you have your own taxi. No one especially in California is going to stop and give you a ride. You need to take a full set of sockets, wrenches, screwdrivers, channel locks, vice grips glad hand air hose......check all fluids. Make sure your tire pressure is good. Do a walk around, check everything just like you would on any pre trip inspection. A2's have CTIS and leak all the time. I've recovered trucks from bases that were listed as doesn't run and fixed them with a basic set of tools and drove them home. If you need any special items let me know ill let you borrow what you need.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good Luck - your on to Adventure now. Once you get her running, get on Hwy 395, and go straight North, rather then the traffic side of the Sierras. It will lead you into the SE corner of Oregon. Much more scenic too.
The down side of that route is, its more remote, if you need help, but I would chance that, versus the traffic. Just take a laptop.

poppypizza

Glad to see such helpful people here! Thank you goodguy for the kindness, and for the advice and thank you rosco for the goodluck wishes (im sure we will need it:) As far as disconnecting the CTIS I have been trying to find a step by step on doing it, Im more of a picture guy does anyone have some of basic disconnection? Another question of mine is,, When looking at GL if the truck starts in the video should that make me feel a little more confident that its gonna start without a jumpstart? Im so stoked about picking this truck up, trip permit and current insurance on my current vehicle and I should be okay? Than you again for all of the advice/help everyone I appreciate it very much!!!
Karl

poppypizza

Invoice paid,, euc not required, waiting for monday to call them and hopefully setup a appointment to pick it up. Gonna take your advice Goodguyzy and rent a car for a chase vehicle to bring tools, oil, coolant, air hose, and plenty of other things. Been reading some peoples thoughts on GL and looks like back in the 07-09' time people didnt like them to much, Im hoping we didnt make to stupid of a move and everything comes out fine and dandy.

poppypizza

THank you goodguyzy, I will defiantly be saving your number for the trip if you get a 971 number this week you know who it is :) Gonna call the Fontana Location tomorrow and hopefully make a pickup appointment this week! Not looking forward to the drive both ways tho, oh well a small price to pay for such a cool rig!

MtnSnow

Is your truck coming from Fontana or Barstow? You mentioned Barstow earlier but now you say your calling Fontana??

If Fontana you will have better luck getting a jumpstart by the GL folks....in Barstow nada..

poppypizza

Fontana, I thought it was Barstow because of how many I've been looking at. Im glad to hear that they will at least consider giving a jumpstart. Got tools and such laid out, gonna rent a car tomorrow (hopefully) then leave ASAP! Im stoked!

MtnSnow

Since you have won your auction...you can post a link to it. Also with it being out of Fontana you will have a better chance of none of the fluids having been drained and might only need to be topped off if at all.

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome!! Way to jump in with both feet! I wouldn't worry about the CTIS during the trip home unless it gives you a problem. Read the -10 TM completely several times before you start it up. Flip the two switches on, wait 3-4 seconds for the ABS check, then crank. To turn off, flip the bottom switch, wait for the engine to stop completely, then flip off the battery switch.

Post lots of pics of the recovery trip for our fix!:drool:

MtnSnow

Truck looks good (other than the tweaked tool box). I say congrats and enjoy that bad boy! I will be willing to venture a good guess that none of your fluids are drained but of course double check ALL levels!

Yes please read the -10 operators manual and pay close attention to the startup and shutdown procedures as it will save you headaches and money!

Last edited:

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Using Hwy 395

Good Luck - your on to Adventure now. Once you get her running, get on Hwy 395, and go straight North, rather then the traffic side of the Sierras. It will lead you into the SE corner of Oregon. Much more scenic too.
The down side of that route is, its more remote, if you need help, but I would chance that, versus the traffic. Just take a laptop.
Hwy 395 is a great route. If you use 395 and are within reach of Bishop, California you can call me for any assistance you need in the event of trouble. Or, stop by for a rest on the way back to Oregon. PM me if you want my contact information for your trip.

poppypizza

Okay awesome I've been reading about the CTIS a little been kinda worried but hoping for the best. I have downloaded a couple TM's and just downloaded the 10 TM I think.. I see some people get lucky and find tools and such in the truck,, is this a common thing to find tools with it? We leave here Wednesday Night and have a pickup time at 9:30 Thursday. Got a duffle bag of tools, glad hand with air hose, bringing a impact just in case sorta thing, fluids, gonna bring my computer with manuals, a little diesel, multimeter, jumpers I think this will be a good start to thing, at least I hope! I dont have a Digital camera unfortunately but my brother has a Iphone so I will tell him to take a lot of pictures. Torisco- I think we are staying on I-5 because we are trying to get there and back as quickly as possible, Its a little to far out of the way or else I would love to stop and show it to someone that knows what they are looking at :) and of course look at your rigs. Boy these next couple of days are gonna be hard to sleep, Im excited about hearing that 8.3L beast run.. Anyone have any tips on dealing with the Fontana Location? Thanks guys all of the support:recovry4x4:

MtnSnow

Don't plan on tools being present in the trucks but at times some are found. Before heading out on the road make sure you have a 10 ton or better choice is a 20 ton bottle jack and 1.5" lugnut socket and breaker bar so you can change a tire if need be.

Another Ahab

So first off Im from the green state of Oregon, wet, rainy, and chilly most of the time. Anyways my brother and I are defiantly into the outdoors and things that survive the outdoors well such as a 5 Ton. My question is (IF) needed would someone around that area that knows about them maybe be able to schedule in a quick check up on it if something doesn't seem right(not for free of course)? I have been doing my research on these rigs a little, but any advice on a stupid drive like this is appreciated. Shipping is a little steep for us plus we get to drive past our moms place which isn't something we can always do. Here is a picture of her! Hopefully we will have it in the driveway next week/end.View attachment 475445
Hey that'll make the trip extra special, that's great. And that's a nice looking rig, too.

Not here to offer advice on the recovery, but telling you welcome from out here in Virginia.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks