• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New member from Salina. KS

91W350

Hello from the Kansas prairie! I just bought a M-1008, not my first military vehicle though. I had an old 42 Jeep, three M-715s, and previously another M-1008. My last one was totalled by a nurse that did not think the red light meant stop and she plowed me a good one right in the driver's door pillar with a Suburban. Anyway, I am back to rattling around in a retired truck. This one had 25,000.2 miles on the odometer when I picked it up and it drives like a new one. It has a few small dents, but I was not in search of a cosmetic show truck anyway. It works grest for me. Glen

tsstout

Hey Glen,

Welcome...

I'm from Salina... Now, just down the road.... I've been threatening to bring the 109 to town, 'cause SPD loves me so.... :)

Terry

91W350

I need to grab some on the ground photos, we stopped at the museum in Lexington, that was sweet!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvAU3_7cgxk[/media]

There are some photos from our trip in a slide show. I would have gladly traded for a number of the vehicles in that Military Vehicle Museum! Glen

Attachments

91W350

Hey Glen,

Welcome...

I'm from Salina... Now, just down the road.... I've been threatening to bring the 109 to town, 'cause SPD loves me so.... :)

Terry
Hi Terry, you may have seen my Kaiser at one of the Kansas Crawls. Mine was OD green with a canvas top. My brother had a red camo Kaiser (715s) with a hard or bikini top, depending upon the season. We both had Warn 8274 winches on the nose. I had a 10,000 Warn under the bed and he had a Ramsey under the bed of his. We were both running small block Chevrolets, Detroits in the rear and Lock Rights in the front. We spent a lot of time bouncing around the off road park at Randolph. Come on down, I have some connections on the PD, when you get close to town, I can drive. :-D Glen

tsstout

:)

Yeah, fortunately any of the PD I knew, have long since retired... but it made me sound like I was a bad a$$ ;) gotta keep the mirrors up and the smoke a rollin'

No i havent participated in the crawls... Always wanted to... But my Kaiser is a 'lil much for me to attempt to much craziness... and I've only had her for a little over a year... I took it 6-wheelin' in MO and buried her in a creek bed.. Fortunate there was another beastie there to yank me out.... She's a lot of truck...

I'm a tad old, so everything takes forever to organize nowadays... So I do less.... but I do make it to town occasionally.. My oldest daughter lives there....

Randolph huh?? I can't say I knew there was a offroad park there.... I might be convinced to run her wild there if someone has a winch... but she's a biggun... 16k empty....

Glad to meet ya....

Terry

91W350

Thanks for the welcomes guys!

If you go to YouTube and search for Kansas Krawl, you will see the limestone ledges and probably the rock garden. It is an interesting place to go. The guys with the 48 to 54 inch tires have chewed things up where some of it is very hard to navigate without lockers on both ends and a lot of ground clearance. There is almost always and alternate trail that is not quite as severe. The park is in the west side of Tuttle Creek Reservoir and south of Randolph. I have seen dueces in there churning around before. They make some of it look too easy, but on a lot of trails they just cannot cut the corners. They are also belly vulnerable on some of the bigger ledges. Personally, I would think a duece on the trails would be a whole lot more work than fun.

The Unimogs are just flat amazing. There is a guy with 52" tires and hydraulic rear steer. He has an extra transmission and has taken a lot of weight off. The things he can crawl over are sickening. It is all slow motion for him, really slow.

I will be 54 in September, so I am no spring chicken either. I still enjoy working on the old turds and rattling my way around the state. Those bobbed 5 tons look like fun to me! I had been talking about taking a tractor and converting it to 4x4 a long time before I ever saw one done. Glen

This video has some stills of the park and a few photos of my old white M-1008... it was serving as a jail maintenance truck when I bought it for 700 dollars... wish I could have found another like it in that price range!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xKgZYo4moc[/media]

KsM715

The ORV at randolph is really no place for a deuce. The trails in the bottoms are really tight and twisty. I have a hard time getting my civy TJ thru them with out getting smacked by tree branches if I have top off. It is a fun place to go watch the guys with big Jeeps and lots a $$$ play on the ledges. You can get around in a stock Jeep with open diffs if your carefull.

tsstout

yeah... no cliffs for me in the big girl... I got plenty puckered in trees, and creeks and mud...

I got stuck because I had to make a fast turn going up the the other side of a muddy creek... She decided straight was the way she wanted to go... And I couldn't convince her otherwise.... everyone got a kick out of it except me...

The last thing I want to hear as I tumble down a cliff with 8 tons strapped to me, is giggling... just inappropriate ;)

So is this place on the east side of the lake?? I can't seem to visualize where this place is... Seems like there were horse trails somewhere over there... Is that the place

Glen, Did you go to school in Salina?? I went to south about the time you were in highschool too....

I'm racking my brain for Glen's now.....

Terry

Last edited:

91W350

I went to Central, class of 1973.

Yes, you would want to avoid a lot of the trails. That open area at the south end and the trail that goes north then up the west slope would be fun for you. I would imagine the ridge above the ledges and the ledges would be Duece country. The ones that run through the trees and creek bottoms were too tight for my M-715, we bumped a lot of trees around with it and had to winch it sideways on more than one occasion. The M-1008 was much easier to get through, but like the man from St. George said, there is a whole lot of tree slapping going on.

DyoMikeR

I live in Salina and am looking at getting a Deuce. Whats involved in tagging one of these in Kansas? Ive already checked into insuring it. Not a problem there. Any info would help. thanks. Its tagged now, but in another state.

trentM37

DyoMikeR, Tagging is not a problem. just that county clerk will only find Hummer under American General. Tagged M-109,and M-37 as antiques. And Duece being a 87 under regular pickup tag. Insurance through progressive was easy and cheap for all. Little county were everyone knows everyone. Take a photo with you, it helps. Tagged M-37 1st time in Ford county. Helps the blank stare go away faster from the clerk.

trentM37

Remember for sheriff's inspection, if data plate is unreadable/missing. I.D. # is also on frame rail between motor and steer tire. Already tagged transfer is simpler for clerk, OK was very close to our registration process.

tsstout

Find out where and who your area's VIN inspector is... Go and sweet talk him/her into coming to see your truck... Otherwise take it to him/her... Ours is downtown and not easy to move around down there, so it was easy getting him to my truck...

He will look at the data plates to get the VIN number and a general look see if the truck is what you say... He'll want your title and a sales receipt... It will cost $10.. he'll give you a inspection form...

Take all three (title, sales receipt, form) plus your insurance card to your county clerk... They will ask the weight you want... Mine is 20k... 15.5 for the truck and then cargo I anticipate to carry.... They will give you a registration and a tag... Mine was about $97 (I think)....

They then took me to the assesment department to charge property taxes... because of the weight I think.... That costs me $12 a year.....

end of trauma.... really not too bad

Terry

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks