• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Member from South Dakota

The Hammer

Hey fellas, I'm new to your site and excited to be in the company people who love old Military Iron like I do.:mrgreen:

I live in south Dakota and have been here about a year and a half. The Army retired me early due to an accident and I moved here for more freedoms.

When I lived in MN I used to have 2 old M38A1 Jeeps and sold them to move out here along with my old K5 Blazers.

My wifes Great uncle has about 16 WW2 Jeeps. He belongs to the Red Bull Vehical Society(I think that is what it is called :mrgreen:)

I now have 4X4s I bought in this great state.:grd:

I intend to buy some old iron someday so me and my little boy can restore it.

Just wanted to say hello fellas.:-D

KsM715

I grew up in the Black Hills back in the 80's. I wish I could convince my wife to let us move back there.

Welcome to the site.

The Hammer

Welcome "neighbor"!
Tie, my wife grew up and lived her whole life in Blaine Minnesota.:mrgreen:
I lived in Elk River my whole life. Grew up on the Mississippi.:jumpin:

We left there because of the political atmosphere. There are alot more freedoms here in South Dakota. The people are alot nicer too.
I really like the trees and snow in Minnesota but I had to leave because I wanted more freedoms for my children.

bigkaiser

Welcome to you in SD. I have been seeing a gal in Rapid for a year or so and have been back there a number of times (including a couple of weeks ago)already and have seen some great potential projects around that area....in fields, barns ,etc. I am still looking for an elusive halftrack rumored to be in the area....:confused:

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A very big welcom to the SS site, what part of SD are you from, the reason I ask is I am from ND and spend money in SD buying parts for my M35, When you get around to buying some old iron it would be fun to meet you and visit about it, and of course I always need a new escuse for a road trip with my 35, Welcom again!
Karl

The Hammer

A very big welcom to the SS site, what part of SD are you from, the reason I ask is I am from ND and spend money in SD buying parts for my M35, When you get around to buying some old iron it would be fun to meet you and visit about it, and of course I always need a new escuse for a road trip with my 35, Welcom again!
Karl

Thanks Karl, I live by Sturgis.:driver:

The Hammer

Nice to see other people from SD. I'm currently in Rapid City.

Cool, do you have old Military trucks? I don't right now but I hope to soon.rofl

I have acouple of 1 Ton Chevy trucks and a 1/2 ton with a lift kit.

I plan on making a 1 Ton 4X4 Dually with a lift kit this summer.

We'll see how it goes.:driver:

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
about 10 years ago I had a very nice M-37 and kind of got my feet wet with that, ended up selling that one a few years ago Dont regret but still miss it. This Fall I found a Very nice M-35, it had the good engine and was in 100% working order, not to mention the price was right, I bought that and have installled a block heater, a Military issue in cab hot water heater, Have refinished and replaces all the troop seating in the bed, Changed all the fluids and I do mean ALL the fluids, my next move is to mount the 5 ton fender mount Air cleaner canister on the fender will start that this weekend, THEN I bought a Garwood 10,000 pound winch and all the assundry items that go with it, I will have that in a week and half. Finally will come the new paint then re-stencil all the writing on the truck and the stars on the hood and doors. GREAT fun and a very rewarding project!! You know there is going to be a lot of m35s for sale very soon, the US Military has officially decomissioned them as of early last year and they are auctioning them all off, if you can get to a post or base acution they seem to be going for anywhere from 1500 to 2000 dollars, its a **** of a LOT of truck for that price. Do you ever get over to the Fargo area? I live just south of town and would love to show you my truck and all I have done to it so far, let me know if you are going to get this way??? Good luck with your project also sounds interesting!!!
Karl

The Hammer

about 10 years ago I had a very nice M-37 and kind of got my feet wet with that, ended up selling that one a few years ago Dont regret but still miss it. This Fall I found a Very nice M-35, it had the good engine and was in 100% working order, not to mention the price was right, I bought that and have installled a block heater, a Military issue in cab hot water heater, Have refinished and replaces all the troop seating in the bed, Changed all the fluids and I do mean ALL the fluids, my next move is to mount the 5 ton fender mount Air cleaner canister on the fender will start that this weekend, THEN I bought a Garwood 10,000 pound winch and all the assundry items that go with it, I will have that in a week and half. Finally will come the new paint then re-stencil all the writing on the truck and the stars on the hood and doors. GREAT fun and a very rewarding project!! You know there is going to be a lot of m35s for sale very soon, the US Military has officially decomissioned them as of early last year and they are auctioning them all off, if you can get to a post or base acution they seem to be going for anywhere from 1500 to 2000 dollars, its a **** of a LOT of truck for that price. Do you ever get over to the Fargo area? I live just south of town and would love to show you my truck and all I have done to it so far, let me know if you are going to get this way??? Good luck with your project also sounds interesting!!!
Karl

Hey Karl, I would love to see your truck. My wife and I might be headed out that way this year sometime. I would like to try and see if there is any land cheap way up by the Canadian border. I miss Minnesotas scenery but don't ever want to go back there. I would think ND is just as beautiful and wouldn't mind having some land there.:mrgreen:

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Keep me poster Hammer if you get this way on your land quest. I do understand you MN feelings, I grew up ouside of Detroit Lakes and I miss a lot about it but to be honest none of it is anything like I remember it to be, WAY TO many people for my tastes, ND is wonderful just in a different way than MN!! Take care and talk later Hammer!
Karl

SoDak

Cool, do you have old Military trucks? I don't right now but I hope to soon.rofl

I have acouple of 1 Ton Chevy trucks and a 1/2 ton with a lift kit.

I plan on making a 1 Ton 4X4 Dually with a lift kit this summer.

We'll see how it goes.:driver:
I don't own any military trucks myself (college student), but there's an old crew cab dodge on my family's ranch that was used in the Airforce. I like to see someone else interested in old chevys. We've still got a few on the ranch, but they're slowly dying off or just get put away. We don't really have an immediate use for the old trucks, but they aren't worth selling, so we keep 'em. I got onto steel soldiers because as of late, Ellsworth has been auctioning off stuff that's actually worth having and I wanted to learn about this stuff.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All I can suggest is learn all you can about the old stuff, its really VERY interesting to see how it was done back then and how it compares to Now, you can then come to your own educated ideas as far as what is better or worse, it truly is a very great hobby!
Karl

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks