• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New member from the Netherlands, Europe

ShimShon

Hi all, my name is Harald. I'm new here and I'm from the Netherlands in Europe. Of course, you all know where that is. :doh:

I've been reading these forums for a while now, so I thought it's time to join SS and become a more active member of the MV community.

I recently bought a 1977 Dodge M-882. It was used in Germany by the US military during the cold war era and eventually it was sold and imported to the Netherlands around the mid '90s. It's not really original anymore, no camo colors or US army green, no 24 volt, no 60-Amp Generator Kit anymore. But that's fine with me, I just want a nice looking (ex-military) truck.

The truck runs great though, starts right up at the first time, is still a permanent 4x4 (sometimes they put freewheel front hubs on Dodge trucks in the Netherlands).

It also has dual exhaust pipes directly behind the B-pillar next to the cargo box. It's painted matte black and it has 36' hummer tires (36x12.50x16.5), a rollbar and pushbar. The Dodge has a body lift, not sure how much though. This was all done before I bought the truck.

As most American V8-engines in the Netherlands, it runs mostly on propane (LPG), because this is much cheaper here than gasoline, but I can use gasoline as well. I usually start the engine on gasoline and switch after a minute or so to propane.

I've done some minor things so far, and also installed a CB radio (Cobra 29 LX EU) with an Ab-558 base mounted on a CUCV side mount and M-116, M117 and AB-24 antenna assembly, which is about 108" in length. I attached the coax cable with PL-259 connectors to the antenna and the radio, and used a ground strap from the bottom of the antenna to the cargo box. Works like a charm.

Things to do:
1) power steering (I already have a complete power steering assembly from a Dodge W200)
2) making a bigger pushbar
3) painting it with camo color (I'm thinking of urban camo)
4) fixing some electrical issues

Well this is about it for now. I know I will learn a lot here, but if you have any questions feel free to ask. Thanks all!

Last edited:

Woodsplinter

Welcome from the dry desert of Arizona! Lots of good folks and information here.
Post some pics of your truck when you can.
How much propane do you carry and how far will it take you?

Mark

ShimShon

Welcome from the dry desert of Arizona! Lots of good folks and information here.
Post some pics of your truck when you can.
How much propane do you carry and how far will it take you?
Thanks Woodsplinter. I wish my Dodge came from the dry desert of Arizona. It's a constant battle against rust in our rainy climate. aua

It holds about 21 US gallon, but I'm only allowed to fill it up to 80% which is about 17 gallons of propane. This will take me about 150 miles before I've to refuel, but as mentioned before, my Dodge still runs on gasoline (so I always keep my gas tank half full as well).

I've uploaded some pictures. You can see the antenna assembly on the last picture.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks