• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New member from va

truckdude22

Have a 1966 deuce. Have had real struggles getting accurate information, quality parts, information on new parts and upgrades versus old stock standard etc.
Paid 2,000 dollars for fluid change and filters with filters supplied, brake hose, relined brake pads and cable for emergency brake, replaced master cylinder part supplied, almost all parts were supplied besides emergency brake components. Feel violated.
Hard to find people who know what they're doing and charge reasonable rates.
Need all pertinent tools intermediate level, technical manuals, and maybe a basic list of spare parts. Hate being stuck at that side of the road slime shop. Would rather limp, do a hundred dollars damage and make it to a good shop than eat another 1000 dollar basic labor charge. Can't stand the lies and deceit.

These things are the only heavy duty awd vehicle in this country of any real quality. They're about as American as it comes. Basic components fix anything. It's a shame not to put them back together correctly and in the best possible way. Comparable trucks would easily sell for 70k today, even if international or freightliner built the exact same truck without computers and amenities.
Any information will be appreciated. Please note whether it's speculation or fact and where you found it. Not much of a gambling man. Both types of information are appreciated, but only facts with sources can actually be utilized. If I can't find it then I can't use it. As I do research, and get quotes on work, figure out what needs what ill do what I can to share any information I have.

Need a new tie rod.mine is bent. Chromoly cut new metal or pull of? Same price. Anybody know what metal the stock ones are? Iron?
Need information on rims. Mechanics get weird about split ring. Not sure if mine are the old version or not.apparently they were made illegal?
Would like to reduce black smoke. Can't find a turbo. Would like to run dual exhaust with high flow cats if possible? Do not want to impede flow however.
Wiring harness needs work. Wondering if I can run new wire in its place and any technical manual information would be helpful.
5th gear or overdrive sounds different than other gears. Would like to know trans swap cost and find out if anyone else has experienced it. Trans was worked on or replaced in the 90s I believe.
Read over locking hubs. Are they worth it and is there a brand that will not leave you stuck? Not sure I trust avm due to reviews on here and price.
Have oil in air tanks. Sludge. This isn't a great sign I know. Usually happens after sitting for long periods.
Engine seems fine.
New tires and brakes seem fine.
Bed sides and cab only surface rust.
Frame is good. Lights all work. Hoping suspension is just the tie rod and the transmission is just like that. Between the wiring work, trans and possible compressor issues am I looking at a serious project? Truck has impressed me so far.

All the best

dmetalmiki

Welcome to the site hobby and events to come. You seem to be disspondant? over the issues past, and future ones you have found. It might have been better on aquisition to Lay the truck up, and then call out for help or assistance from other people in the hobby in your area who might then have done a full inspection go through, (with you) and then helped or advised you how to choose tasks to start on and work through one by one. That way you would have saved dollars And learned a bunch. And for for sure you would have been in a better state of mind and satisfied with with the (your) acomplishmets. Do keep us posted on your progress, with pictures, Good luck. ......(you CAN do it).

theeDIZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are mechanically inclined you can repair everything yourself and you will learn about your truck which comes in handy if you do break down. It can feel overwhelming so it helps to focus on 1 project at a time but with all the help here you should be fine! Welcome from MD

RodUSMC1962

Welcome and congrats on your truck! Buying a deuce is an intiminating and a huge event , especialy if you are not a big truck person . Remember you are working on a 50 year old vehicle. If you could hook up with a local member it would help very much. I have been working on my truck for over a years and still have to take it to a local shop some times, I`m older now and can`t do the things I You have to talk to people and try to find a shop that will treat you fairly.used to do.

truckdude22

I've had diesel and automotive training. It was just limited. Any northern va members that want to link up would be great. It's tricky because the literature is extensive whereas newer trucks have clear part numbers and literature. It should be easier to work on. And if it were an emergency, duct tape and steel can fix probably anything, but for safe highway travel around the prius with the "b clean" or whatever plates waving his hand in front of his nose it becomes trickier. Haha really happened. Driving up from the south it becomes increasingly less friendly.

They (fire dept) sprayed paint over without prepping so original green paint is pristine but not sure how to remove without damaging the paint underneath. It's beautiful. I've seen birds with more uniformity in their nests than my wiring harness. I want to do some noise insulation but not sure how to retain the deep water capabilities without trashing it if it gets wet.

I don't want to alter it anymore than absolutely necessary, but its harsh. It's like trying to take a log cabin and trying to make it more comfortable and modern without losing any of the attributes that make it what it is.

Tired of watching these things get cut to pieces by kids and people who think they have a better design, but in some ways I'm trying to do the same thing. As a utility truck it doesn't matter. As anything more, ease of operation becomes a little more important.

Finding shops that can make fixes true to original design is tricky. They just don't know. The air vs brake vs fuel lines can be anything from plastic to rubber to copper to steel. If I use a more modern parts will it be an upgrade or could it create risk?
I don't have the tools to easily do most of it either. Diesel snap tools on even at student rates are still very expensive. They take up a lot of room.

NovacaineFix

Welcome from Very Southern California.

Good Luck on your truck, love to see some pics.
Trust me, when I bought my 5-ton, I was slightly intimidated when 1st trying to find the right parts and actually start working on it.
The way I look at it now is,the parts are just bigger and heavier and more $$, but they work the same as the little ones.

tommys2patrick

Howdy and welcome from Colorado. Take one thing at a time is good advice. Looking at the whole picture can be overwhelming. Once you get past the heavy and cumbersome part, it is rather simple. Don't set hard and fast time lines for each issue. Just go until you get tired/frustrated or run out of the right parts. Sometimes you don't know what you will need till you get into it. Lots of parts are available but shipping can sometimes cost as much as the part. Best wishes.

truckdude22

Nice, lots of va people! Thanks for the advice and best wishes. I plan to visit colorado again on my way out specifically to southern California. I've been chasing a surfing pipe dream. Virginia is getting tough. Mosquito muggy summers and gloomy cold winters.

Ill keep working it. I hear what you all are saying.
Patience is tricky.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks