• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New member from Yukon, Canada

Yukon Russ

Good day all.
Recently purchased a '53 Reo M35 Gasser.
Looking for an engine for it. The current engine has been "worked on" in the past and is missing a few items like the head and pan.(among other parts).

I want to keep the gasser , Comet 331, in it as there is a possibility that this truck saw action on the ALCAN hwy ( yet to be proven) and I would like to preserve it.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Russ

IMG_3027[1].JPG
IMG_3028[1].JPG

Last edited:

V8srfun

Welcome. I don’t know anything about the older gassers or have any parts for them but someone here will be able to point you in the right direction. Is the engine still serviceable or do you think it will need a rebuild after sitting open.

Yukon Russ

Welcome. I don’t know anything about the older gassers or have any parts for them but someone here will be able to point you in the right direction. Is the engine still serviceable or do you think it will need a rebuild after sitting open.
By the looks of the open cylinders I'm not giving much hope for a rebuild without some major time and $$.
There seems to be a lot of missing pieces as well. Hope to find a cheap running engine or at least a decent rebuildable core.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Good day all.
Recently purchased a '53 Reo M35 Gasser.
Looking for an engine for it. The current engine has been "worked on" in the past and is missing a few items like the head and pan.(among other parts).

I want to keep the gasser in it as there is a possibility that this truck saw action on the ALCAN hwy ( yet to be proven) and I would like to preserve it.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Russ

IMG_3027[1].JPG
IMG_3028[1].JPG
Welcome to the outfit! I see that you have joined up with the rest of us owning a "little green monster".

Not sure what may be possible for an engine - but there are guys here who are pretty good at finding things. She should have the word "Comet" on the intake manifold. It's a 331 Reo and it is a tough old motor. Finding parts for them - especially rebuild parts might take quite a bit of effort. Maybe you can find another truck that has a running motor and bad off fenders and doors or something similar. White Owl in North Carolina (guy named George) used to sell parts to us at RH Bouligny 30 years ago. Maybe he can help.

If you end up doing a motor swap, a 300 ford industrial six will fit the bellhousing and only minor adjustments are required for the motor mounts. Haven't looked in years, but for all I know this motor is out of date and old by now too. :-(

HDN

Welcome to the club! I'd check with any nearby antique truck clubs for parts and/or advice about the old gas motor. There might be some folks here too that may be able to help :)

Jeepsinker

Get on Facebook and contact Jeremy Bellois. He has whole engines, piston and liner sets, overhaul kits, bearings, absolutely everything you could possibly need. The 331 is his specialty.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks