• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

new member here from florida got some ???

muddmutt

:-D:-Dwell i am prior military . but this is my first ownership of a military vehicle . i wanted to ask some ?? how do i register the deuce w/o it having to be commercial ins. here in florida ... 2nd is the camo paint is faded i want to freshen it up .is there a certain type of paint i can use . will it look like crap rattle canned or will a military base do it for you . don't know asking ???

ajg6989

you can register it as an antique but it must be a military, fire or police vehicle for above 4000lb I forget the statue but I had to take it with me to show the DMW or they will argue with you and the computer does not reconize the statue.

Pinz25086

In order to register it as a military antique vehicle in FL, you must do it through the main office in Tallahassee. The local tag agency can help you fill out the forms needed but they can not process them. Their computers do not have the option needed to make it work. Once you send the form in expect about 2-3 weeks before it returns. After your tag returns, you only need to keep it in the truck but are not required to display it so that the truck still appears to be correct as a military vehicle. The best part is that it is good for the life of the vehicle and only costs around $30. I did not have a problem getting regular insurance as I have had many "weird vehicles" insured by my local agent over the years. They did not even blink an eye when I asked for coverage but all of the ladies in the office came out and got their picture taken in it when I was insuring it.

Are you planning to go to the Florida Rally next weekend? Lots of members will be there and will be able to answer any questions that you may have. It is always a great time and a great value for only $75 for the weekend including food and camping. Hope to see you there.

Wayne

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Registering it as an antique MV can put a lot of restrictions on what you do with it (as can insuring it as an antique vehicle).
I have farm tags on all of mine and a farm policy with Progressive.
It costs a little more but I can use them for their intended purpose without risking a ticket.
There are several members close to you that can give you the 411 on getting them legal as cheaply as possible.
Just my two Lincolns worth.....your milage may vary....other side effects include following big green vehicles around, maxing out your credit cards on GL, giving half your stuff to ex-wives, attending rallys with other deranged MV addicts and bad breath.

jimm1009

Not to mention all the dilated pupils, blank stares, stars in the eyes, and the endless gawking at bit green stuff with a little druel out one side of the mouth.
But, it gets worse...:beer: (according to my wife) :driver:

jimm1009

jimm1009

With regards to paint, you probably don't want to try the genuine CARC due to needing a fresh air breathing mask.
There are no cartridge paint masks to filter out the bad stuff that is going to damage your lungs without it.
Rapco Pats (www.rapcoparts.com telephone 940-872-2403) in Bowie, TX (N.W. of Ft. Worth) area has a really good replacement paint that matches the CARC and older versions of the olive drabs.
If you were doing a total repaint then you could buy a 4 gallon case which could have two gallons of green, a gallon of black, and a gallon of the earth brown if you were choosing US 3-color woodland camo scheme as an example.
I would suggest that you order a few rattle cans as samples and try them out to see if that is what you really want.
Then once you are statisfied, order the gallons or more spray cans.
I used the spary cans to top coat my faded CARC paint on my M1009 and it lasted for about 5 or 6 years. The ultra flat paint will simply not last too long on the Southern US because of the bright sun.

Side topic: For historical reasons, I would keep a really good color copy of your bill of sale, SF-97, and other stuff that comes from G.L. to help prove ownership down the road. Keep a copy fo the Floriday law that allows you to not instlal the plate too. Not all LEOs know each and every law (we are all human) and if you have it to show them if and when you are pulled over it helps get you back on the road quickly.
I hope other Florida residents will pipe in here and give you more state oriented intel.

jimm1009

Last edited:

1956_4x4

Registering it as an antique MV can put a lot of restrictions on what you do with it (as can insuring it as an antique vehicle).
I have farm tags on all of mine and a farm policy with Progressive.
It costs a little more but I can use them for their intended purpose without risking a ticket.
There are several members close to you that can give you the 411 on getting them legal as cheaply as possible.
Just my two Lincolns worth.....your milage may vary....other side effects include following big green vehicles around, maxing out your credit cards on GL, giving half your stuff to ex-wives, attending rallys with other deranged MV addicts and bad breath.
I just tagged my '56 with an "Antique" plate this year and was thinking about doing the same with my 1031. They never mentioned anything about restrictions when I tagged the '56, but it sounds like I might need to do a little more research...

Smitty

Green_gator

You may not have to do the Tallahassee route any longer. My last two new registrations were taken care of and the plate issued at my local DMV office. The first time with a trailer took a bit more time but since then never an issue. The permanent antique route which allows for a one time registration does limit your driving but it is in line with what my insurance allows.

cessnatwin

Get a hold of me I just register six of them, I have the exact paperwork, phone number names and address's of the people who do it, it is so easy to do. You have to mail off for the plates. You never have to renew them and they are cheap. I found the easiest way in the world!

1956_4x4

Get a hold of me I just register six of them, I have the exact paperwork, phone number names and address's of the people who do it, it is so easy to do. You have to mail off for the plates. You never have to renew them and they are cheap. I found the easiest way in the world!
What type of restrictions are imposed upon you for registering them with "Antique" plates vs "Regular" plates?

Smitty

phil2968

The 2009 Florida Statutes

(3) The owner of an ancient or antique firefighting apparatus, former military vehicle, or other historical motor vehicle 30 years old or older which is used only in exhibitions, parades, or public display may, upon application in the manner and at the time prescribed by the department and upon payment of the license tax prescribed by s. 320.08(2)(a), be issued a license plate as prescribed in subsection (1) or subsection (2). License plates issued under this subsection shall be permanent and valid for use without renewal as long as the vehicle is in existence and its use is consistent with this subsection.

(5) A former military vehicle that is used only in exhibitions, parades, or public display is exempt from the requirement to display a license plate or registration insignia if the exemption is necessary to maintain the vehicle's accurate military markings. However, the license plate and registration certificate issued under this section must be carried within the vehicle and available for inspection by any law enforcement officer.
(6) For purposes of this section, "former military vehicle" means a vehicle, including a trailer, regardless of the vehicle's size, weight, or year of manufacture, that was manufactured for use in any country's military forces and is maintained to represent its military design and markings accurately.

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

just a portion of the full thing, follow the link for a full read.
BTW, the form( HSMV 83045), you fill out to to send to Tallasshee has a misprint saying the MV must be 30 years old, a condradiction of the statute stated above.

Last edited:

phil2968

Until they make the statute more specific, me driving my M109 down the road qualifies as public display IMO. Your mileage may vary and warranty may not apply if modified!;)

yetti96

I was reading the FL Statues today. Being new to SS and seeing all of the great trucks has given me the bug to get a MV soon hopefully. I read the part about it being registered as a MV will put it into a category where it is virtually useless as a vehicle and made into a show piece. I want to get a truck to own, drive, and show off to the local neighbors and family. So could some FL owner give this newbie and others some incite as to the process. I have done some searching and have time on my side but maybe the info could be helpful for all Floridians.

On that note, upon my first skimming of the statues with non-legal mind, I saw that to actually use the truck and not be limited to weird laws, one would have to register the truck as a private "heavy truck". [SIZE=-1]FL s. 320.086, states the [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]ancient or antique[/SIZE][SIZE=-1] vehicles:
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1](2)(a) The owner of a motor vehicle for private use manufactured after 1945 and of the age of 30 years or more after the date of manufacture, equipped with an engine of the age of 30 years or more after the date of manufacture, and operated on the streets and highways of this state may, upon application in the manner and at the time prescribed by the department and upon payment of the license tax prescribed by s. 320.08(1)(d), (2)(a), or (3)(e), be issued a special license plate for such motor vehicle. In addition to the payment of all other fees required by law, the applicant shall pay the fee for the issuance of the special license plate prescribed by the department, commensurate with the cost of its manufacture. The registration numbers and special license plates assigned to such motor vehicles shall run in a separate numerical series, commencing with "Antique No. 1," and the plates shall be of a distinguishing color. The owner of the motor vehicle may, upon application and payment of the license tax prescribed by s. 320.08, be issued a regular Florida license plate or specialty license plate in lieu of the special "Antique" license plate.

So the way I read it, if you register your MV as an antique, and get the cheap plates, then you cannot use it for everyday stuff. I hope I am wrong, but this section below describes the private use of a heavy truck. If this is the case, what weight category would you register your M35 in? It weighs under 15k, but can have a GVWR of 23k. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]

[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1](2) AUTOMOBILES FOR PRIVATE USE.-- [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1](a) An ancient or antique automobile, as defined in s. 320.086, or a street rod, as defined in s. 320.0863: $10.25 flat, of which $2.75 shall be deposited into the General Revenue Fund.
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1](e) An ancient or antique truck, as defined in s. 320.086: $10.25 flat, of which $2.75 shall be deposited into the General Revenue Fund.
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1](4) HEAVY TRUCKS, TRUCK TRACTORS, FEES ACCORDING TO GROSS VEHICLE WEIGHT.-- [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1](a) Gross vehicle weight of 5,001 pounds or more, but less than 6,000 pounds: $60.75 flat, of which $15.75 shall be deposited into the General Revenue Fund. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1](b) Gross vehicle weight of 6,000 pounds or more, but less than 8,000 pounds: $87.75 flat, of which $22.75 shall be deposited into the General Revenue Fund. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1](c) Gross vehicle weight of 8,000 pounds or more, but less than 10,000 pounds: $103 flat, of which $27 shall be deposited into the General Revenue Fund. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1](d) Gross vehicle weight of 10,000 pounds or more, but less than 15,000 pounds: $118 flat, of which $31 shall be deposited into the General Revenue Fund. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1](e) Gross vehicle weight of 15,000 pounds or more, but less than 20,000 pounds: $177 flat, of which $46 shall be deposited into the General Revenue Fund. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1](f) Gross vehicle weight of 20,000 pounds or more, but less than 26,001 pounds: $251 flat, of which $65 shall be deposited into the General Revenue Fund. [/SIZE]

Any-who, sorry for my long first post but if I put some info in, then people might be able to comment or give some helpful information. Thanks for listening to my rambles. :driver:

Last edited:

Dodge man

FNG here. This is my first posting on SS! I live in Orlando and I was in the county tag office this past week talking to them about tagging an MV. They were VERY helpful. If you haven't talked directly to them you should. Briefly, in Florida there a number of ways you can tag an MV, including as a private vehicle or commercail vehicle but the best ways are as a "Horseless Carriage", "antique" or with "Authenticated Plates". It has to be 1945 or before to be a horseless carriage. Fla Statues do provide a way to register a vehicle that "are used only in exhibitions, parades or public display and are exempt from the requirement to display a license plate or registration insignia" but the requirement that it be for only in exhibitions, parades or public display was a no-go for me and the only apparent benefit was that you don't have to display your tag. I HAD an impending purchase of a Deuce so I choose to register it as an antique. (Antiques must be at least 30 YO AND use a 30 YO engine here in Fl.) The "title fee" would have been $78 and the cost of a plate would have been $28. "Authenticated Plates" are license plates that are STAMPED with the same year that the vehicle was made. They can be sent to Tallahassee to be "authenticated" and are then PERMANATELY assigned to that vehicle. You need ot get a copy of Florida DMV Procedure RS-25 (the co tag office printed one out and gave it to me). It goes into a lot more detail.

OK that was easy but here's where I ran into a snag! In my county (Seminole) you can not have a vehicle with a payload capacity of two tons or more or that has more than two axles in a residential area except for deliveries! So no Deuce for me :-( So I'm back to looking for an M-37 unless I can get the county to back off of this. I've talked to the inspector from Code Enforcement and to the people in Planing and Zoning and there is no way to request a variance. They were all sympathetic* and said that they wouldn't enforce it unless someone complained but I have a whinner in my neighborhood that complains about eveything so I KNOW that I would be busted! The ordinance is not part of the regular zoning but is in the "supplemental zoning" and clearly intended to apply to commercial trucks and not necessarily to collector vehicles. I've already contacted my county commisioner to see what can be done. I suspect other counties may have a similar ordinance. Orange county is notoriously restrictive!!

*Anyone that's been in the military knows what they say about "sympathy"!

lavarok

The best part is that it is good for the life of the vehicle and only costs around $30. I did not have a ...
Per the form: HSMV 83045 (REV. 09/09)

"Application for Registration of a Street Rod, Custom Vehicle,
Horseless Carriage or Antique (Permanent)"

The fee for a firefighting apparatus/military vehicle 30 years old or older is $56.60 (add an additional $10, if the GVW weight is 10,000 lbs. or more).

So, perm antique plate in FL will cost you $66.60 for a M35. For a CUCV, $56.60.

RAYZER

i went down to the seminole cty ( sanford ) dmv yesterday to ask some questions about this subject and was told i can get a antique tag at at that office without sending anything off to Tall. dont know about restrictions though, i did however buy commercial ins. through statefarm , $560.00 a year for pip & lib, no restrictions like the collector ins. i looked into.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks