• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New member in the UK

markheliops

Hi all.

My name is Mark and I live in the UK.

I have served in the forces and now work as a Fire-fighter in Kent Fire and Rescue Service.

I have been interested in Military vehicles for as long as I can remember.

This is my pride and joy.

War and Peace 1st Prize.jpg

It is a 1943 Ward La France M1A1 Wrecker.

I have owner it for around 5 years. I purchased it in Holland and have been restoring it ever since. It's almost 100% completed now. I have fitted a Cummins 6BTA diesel engine to increase power and have better reliability. The old R22 Continental was okay but under-powered.

Anyway, reason I have joined SS is due to a recent new purchase.

pics 002.jpg

pics 004.jpg

Chevrolet Blazer K5 / M1009
Date of manufacture - 15th June 1985.
Produced at the GM plant in Flint, Michigan, USA.
Served in Germany and with SFOR in Bosnia.
In the same condition it when released in August 2005.
Dry stored in the UK since release date until registered October 2009.

I served in Bosnia with SFOR so I'm not intending on doing anything to the appearance as I like it the way it is.

I brought the K5 for what I thought a very reasonable sum. It needs a new rear silencer (drivers side) and a couple of areas require welding. It needs a replacement dash (one came with the vehicle but it's grey and I need a maroon one). Also needs a rear tailgate winder mechanism.

I must admit to knowing nothing about this type of vehicle, hence joining SS.

I have one issue in that the gearbox (transmission) seems to take for ever to change up from 2nd to 3rd gear. It will quite happily go through the gears on a motorway when speed isn't an issue - however when on a 30 or 40 mph road the vehicle will not reach a high enough speed to change up to 3rd gear so you end up driving in 2nd gear at high revs. Can't be good for the gearbox!

Is this normal?

I did speak to another K5 owner and he told me the transmission is adjustable but I can't seem to find out how. I have a 900 page manual but can't find it in there either.

Anyway - loving the new purchase and looking forward to being part of SS.

Markheliops

Last edited:

123mack

Hi and welcome. The gray dash is a legitimate replacement. My M1009 came direct out of U. S. Army service, and it also had a gray replacement dash. I found some paint of the propper maroon color in spray cans at an automotive paint and body supply store. I painted mine and it's still holding up after three years.
as for the hard shifting, I suspect a vacuum problem. Mine was hard shifting, so I first replaced the vacuum hoses. Problem cleared up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks