• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New member in Vermont

Jake0147

Hello to all. I'm a little new to this whole MV thing, and I can't figure out why, but somehow I've decided that it might be a good idea to have a deuce (more than I'll ever need) or a five ton truck (bigger is better, but again I don't know why). I'm sure some of you can relate. I hope I'm in the right place, as this is the first place I've found that wasn't all about quarter to three quarter ton stuff.
I'll be looking for an OK looking truck, but not a museum piece. Definately a "user" maybe not 100 percent authentic, but at least reasonably close. I don't intend to butcher it, and I'd like as little butchering as possible on the one that I find. I have plenty of questions, and I look forward to asking them, but for now it seems that there is a wealth of information here to browse through.

Just one thing to get me started- There are lots of designations for different but similar trucks (obviously), and I'm not really up to speed. The general "shape" that I'm looking for in deuce or five ton is pretty much like THIS ONE that was listed on eBay. In particular, the cargo type bed and dropsides is nice, the dual rear wheels, not singles, manual shift, long or short wheelbase, and a winch would be cool but really not a deal maker/breaker. So, is there a system to these numbers to figure out what to search for? What would be a starting point to find a similar looking truck in the five ton size?

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Welcome to the group! There is a fellow here (Jeff) who goes by the handle VTdeucedriver or such that has some very nice trucks in VT that he is selling.

Here is a thumbnail description of the trucks. Keep in mind that a LOT of people (including the seller in the ebay auction you link to) get this wrong - so even though with this info you will be right, there is no surety the person you talk to is right.

Listed below are 2 1/2 ton trucks.

M34 - long wheelbase single rear wheels, powered by Reo OA-331 gasoline engine
M35 - long wheelbase dual rear wheels, powered by Reo OA-331 gasoline engine (Note, there are no "short" wheelbase cargo trucks, only short wheelbase trucks are dumps and tractors).
M35A1 - longwheel base, dual rear wheels, powered by LDS-427 Multifuel engine - truck is scarce, engine hard to get parts for.
M35A2 - longwheelbase, dual rear wheels, powered by LD-465 or LDT-465 Multifuel engine. Most common

on any of the models above replace the 35 with 36 and it becomes an extra long wheelbase truck

M35A2C - just like M35A2, only dropside.

All above have five speed manual transmission - overdrive in the Multifuel trucks.

The M35A3 is a result of a rebuild, and has a Cat engine and automatic transmission.

Five tons are much more complicated. I've done a couple of books on this, advertised on this site, that explains them.

HTH,
David

papercu

truck

Hello and Welcome While not implying ANYTHING about this truck I would be very carefully about buying anything from any forestry dept. their trucks are rode hard and put away wet. I would have to see it before any bidding was done. As always your mileage may vary. As DDoyle said find one close to home.
BTW I'm partial to the 5 ton (power steering RULES) Wayne

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: truck

Welcome aboard. On the lower left side of your screen there is a link to Technical Manuals. Go there and right click on TM 9-2320-361-10 and save that to your computer. That is the operating manual for the deuce. There is tons to learn in there so read that every chance you get and soon you will be telling us the model numbers for certain trucks.

xm708

welcome aboard

I am also from Vermont. Also Ross is vermont he goes by acetomatoeco I am xm708 and just to let you know VTduecedriver has a nice truck like mentioned plus it is in the state. $3.15 a gallon diesel will cost alot to drive a truck home or haul it home for that matter. there is also one in Maine on craigslist for $2500 with a winch that runs and drives thought about it but funds say no right now.

anyways welcome aboard

ed

vtdeucedriver

Welcome to the group!!!!! Yea I do have a deuce for sale here in VT. Its a 1970 M35A2C, which means that its a dropside. I have the troop seats and its a turbo. Its a strong runner. Its only down fall is that it has weather checked tires. I have ran them on them since I have owned it and have had no problems since I have not worked the truck and I usually run empty. I do have tires that are unmounted that go with the truck. At the time, I had 3 deuces and my 5 tons. I am moving to TN and deuces are plenty so I decited to just buy one here and unfortunatly do it all over again!!

its listed here in the classifides in here and on craigs list for pics. If you want more, send me a e mail
vtdeucedriver@yahoo.com

vtdeucedriver

www.gmmvc.org

that is the vt military vehicle club.........................join up and have fun with the club and comraderie..........I will be a member still fromTN. Still flying up for the rally in July and hopefully taking my freshly restored 1951 M37

acetomatoco

I have 40 years of deuce experience and a lot of parts for you, right here in Northern VT...Shipping is cheap when you pick up your stuff here...be sure to join our group www.gmmvc.org we have monthly meetings and rallies all year round..

acetomatoco

RE: A Ross by any other name......

Must be some form of disease only prevalent in the south..and I am not privy to that.... oh oh, can I say privy on this list? Sometimes referred to as RAM and EWE

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks