• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New member in WA

yelloeye

Hi all. The name's Steve, I'm an Army infantry veteran, mechanically inclined (I do all my own maintenance, I've never owned a diesel rig though), and am looking at buying a mil truck in the next couple years (house first) as a truck to take camping and for winter duty. I stumbled upon this place while looking for CUCV info and figured I could learn a thing or two. Think I've narrowed it down to an M1028 because; while I would love to own an HMMWV, I doubt the son to be wife would approve, I remember how uncomfortable it was to sit in for extended periods of time, and I'm sure replacement parts aren't cheap let alone initial cost.

My main concerns with buying a mil vehicle are:
24v systems, what if the battery dies? Can't just flag down Bob for a jump.
Security, do these trucks come with ignition cylinders? I know the HMMWV I used in the service just had a cable lock.

I've been reading a little on the auctions and such, I'm hoping that when the time comes a local will have one up for sale.

Anyway I hope to learn a lot, which I guarantee will being on new questions.

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site! There are lots of folks on here with CUCVs. You can probably find a CUCV around here from a private party that has already been licensed and maybe improved a bit too.

I'm in King County too (up near the northern border with Snohomish County. I've got an old M-37 / M-42 so I'm not much help to you, but I'm sure others will be along shortly who will be much more helpful.

Again, welcome to the site!

Storm 51