• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New member, introduction

FLINT

Hey guys, I just joined steel soldiers. I became interested in military vehicles about 10 years ago now (time flies) when I was doing some archeological surveys at Fort Pickett in Virginia. That base is pretty big and has some really remote areas and they issued us a couple of trucks, one of them being a CUCV pickup (probably a m1008), the other vehicle changed from time to time from a jeep cherokee to a newer ford f250 super duty, etc. But, holy crap was that cucv tough! we affectionately nicknamed it the bivwacker and that thing with its small bald tires, would put that new ford with big oversized mud tires to shame.

anyways, fast forward, to now, I'm 32, have a home and a family, and I really need a tough work truck. We burn wood exclusively for heat and haul LOTS of firewood and also dirt and rocks and mulch and lumber, etc, pretty frequently. I work my poor 1985 nissan 4x4 to death (although that thing is crazy tough for its size!).

I really need a full sized truck, and I've never forgotten that CUCV that would do anything we asked of it. So now, I'm saving money for a full size work truck and my vast preference would be to get a m1008 or m1028 CUCV.

I thought I would join this forum to further educate myself as I prepare to hopefully own one of these tough old vehicles. So thanks in advance, and I hope this wasn't too wordy,

Flint

firecontrol86

Welcome to the site! I joined the site first and learned about them too. Picked up a m1009 in february. I get a lot of crap about it at work(I'm navy and the truck still says "US army" on the side), but it's been a reliable daily driver. The FAQ and wiki will give you plenty of info about these trucks. And if you pick one up and have issues the search on here as well as the great bunch of guys on here will help you out too. Good luck!

HeadWizard

Welcome from the other end of the state! I spent a lot of time down in Christiansburg / Blacksburg - where are you?

Lots of info on CUCV's here - lots of opinions too :D

I have / had a bunch of them and am happy to help when you need it.

Don

beanman1

welcome to the club even if you dont get a cucv soon we still will help you with anything you would like to know about these trucks i have a m1009 that is my daily driver and my brother has a m1008 that he uses as his work truck

1986Blazerk5

Welcome to the site!!! I bought a M1009 awhile ago and use it as a daily driver to get to and from high school, as well as off-roading, my Friends are surprised how good these trucks do off-road. If you have a problem just do a search and if you can't find your answer start a new thread.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd like to add my welcome as well.

You can't go wrong with an M1008 as a work truck. My M1028A2 dually is more of a collectors truck than work truck, but she DOES get the chance every once and a while. At 57 year old I just don't use it to haul nearly as much as you would. But realize the M1008 is geared at 4.58 so it won't get great MPG (10-15) unless you change gears. But for a towing vehicle or a hauler, you just can't go wrong with an M1008. Top speed will be around 60 - 65 mph (unless you change out the gears).

Now if you want to haul PEOPLE? Go with an M1009. Higher top end speed an a shade better mpg, but it won't HAUL or TOW nearly as well.

FLINT

Hey guys, thanks for the kind greetings

I live west of Harrisonburg, at the bottom of shenandoah mountain in a little hollow up against the George washington national forest.

Yeah, I need a truck that can tow and carry a lot of weight - as a truck load of green oak or hickory or locust can weigh a LOT. Not as concerned about mileage as it will used almost exclusively for work and not commuting. even if the top speed was 50mph that would be perfectly fine with me. The low gearing will be great for dragging logs out of ravines and such.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks