• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

new member looked at possible buy have concerns

dkeven

looked at an AM Gen deuce here in Tennessee today for possible buy, had to be pulled to start batteries were dead dead. Started within 30 ft ran like a top, no gauges or lights just air pressure, even with batteries dead would not the generator/alt give me enough for gauges? No brakes seller said he has gotten lots of them that need to be bled before they work after sitting so long? Aside from that ran well, parking brake worked all gears and air switch for front end work. soft top on cab has heater no top on rear but has troop seats 2500 to my door with govt cert. Alt or generator is an expensive part? Brake master cylinder could be bled only or other problem likely? Would like to make a decision soon. thought data plate said 80 for date of mfg. any input appreciated

midcounty

I am no expert, but just had an alternator issue on my new purchase. I did alot o research and found that most alternator failures are just the voltage reglator. They can be had for 60 bucks at Erik's. I have talked to a number of people about brakes, and it seems that all the sitting they do leads to bad wheel cylinders and sometimes master cylinders. I wouldn't be overly concerned about alternator, but would want charged up batteries so could check out all the electrical stuff. If you do have to replace alternator, all wheel cylinders, master cylinder, ect. you would be looking at over 3k invested in the truck. That seems to be an average price you could buy one ready to drive for. It would sound to me like a little bit of a gamble.

dkeven

as in accessory switch tried it on both ways I assume the seller and his mechanic who pull started the truck had switches correct, would dead batteries cause no gauges even while running?

midcounty

would depend how dead. I would think if it had enough juice to attempt to turn the starter it should have enough to cause gauges to move. You may want to check again on that switch. It's possible the didn't bother turning it on, as there isn't a need if pull starting.

Heavysteven

Buyers market, why not wait and find a truck that's road worthy?

I don't like the fact the brakes do not work. Could mean problems with wheel cylinders, mc, and air pack. Pull starting could mean there is an electrical problem. Bad starter or generator.

I think it would cost less to buy a running truck than a fixer upper.

RAYZER

if they knew that the batt's were toast,they may have kept the switch off to keep from causing possible damage to the alt.

dkeven

nice thing about this truck is its 150 miles from me, does run well, as far as batteries could not get a voltage reading on either one with a meter. could not get a voltage reading on anything coming form alt either but wondered if batteries were no load so it doesnt charge. would like to fine a good running stopping one for $2500 I am pretty mechanically inclined and have the tools etc. so a little tlc is ok

RAYZER

i bought mine for $2500.00, every thing worked,had 10 brand new tires and was in real good condition, it took me about 2 mounths to find her but i was in the right place at the right time! drove her 200 miles home.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
nice thing about this truck is its 150 miles from me, does run well, as far as batteries could not get a voltage reading on either one with a meter. could not get a voltage reading on anything coming form alt either but wondered if batteries were no load so it doesnt charge. would like to fine a good running stopping one for $2500 I am pretty mechanically inclined and have the tools etc. so a little tlc is ok
I just sold one for $2,500 that would meet your needs. I'm not too far from you but don't know of any other trucks in the area for sale at the moment. It sounds like $2,500 is a little high from all the problems you mentioned but who knows. I've seen deuces sell recently on GL for more than that and it's mostly unknown to the condition they are in (or what the condition will be at pickup).

What do you mean when you said in your orginal post "govt cert"? If you're talking about a SF-97, you could have problems getting a title. The SF-97 will be in the name of the person that bought the truck from the government and TN won't accept a SF-97 if it dosen't have your name on it.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wouldn't touch this truck without a title. There are ways to obtain a title in TN if you don't have one but it's a real pain to get the clerk's office to do it. My local county clerk is not any help at all but he got replaced in the last election (aug 5), we will see.

It sounds as if the truck in question is straight from GL with nothing done to it to get it road ready and legal to sell. I sell a few trucks myself and this kind of stuff agravates me. If you're going to "flip" trucks, atleast go to the trouble to get it operational before you put it up for sale.

I've got a friend that has had a M35A2 for some time but recently bought another one. He commented awhile back that he really didn't need two trucks. I'll call him and see if he wants to sell one of them.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No title makes it a really cheap truck. I have seen trucks that the gauges won't work if the batts are that flat, Bkubus tan M109 is the one I was dealing with like that. Brakes can be anything. More often than not a fill and bleed will get you going. Amateur mechanics often make the mistake of pumping the pedal to the floor when bleeding though. What this does is push the piston too deep in the bore of the master cyl, into an area it's not travelled in some time. Once you do that, if there is any funk growing down there, it can score the primary cup and lead to master cylinder failure. As Ty said, this is a GL truck with nothing done to it. I'd bet Beavis and Butthead didn't know what they were doing and bid too much to fix it and make a profit. Without a considerable price adjustment, i'd let them keep there problem.

Scarecrow1

Now under stand its just my own opinion but It should be easy to trouble shoot the alternator's output with the meter being placed on the wiring harness on alternator out put ...... If your handy with tools and like to tinker with engines then it sounds like you could use the minor problems to lower the price to make it worth your time ...... I hand a chance to buy one with some problems last year ' But passed due to fact that a running one could be found for the same price from other members ..... I'm still holding out until this economy takes a upward turn .... But I hope you luck with your hunt....:-D

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Running a truck with dead batteries is a sure fire way to kill an alternator (ask me how I know).

The seller prob had it jumped off at GL and drove it home....sometimes you will get a surface charge and not kill it but it is asking for trouble.

I now take hot batteries with me when I do a recovery and replace the TLs if they are dead.

Keep looking and you will find a keeper in good shape that won't be a money pit.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks