• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New member. Looking for a 5 ton

serv

Hello. I found out about this site from the guys at heavyequipmentforums and have been browsing around trying to learn about the different variations of 5 ton trucks. I'm looking for something that can haul a walking floor trailer that weighs between 50-60k pounds when loaded.

I operate a small landfill operation and we're getting stuck in our old cab-over KW yard tractor at least once a week out in the soft stuff. I also recently purchased a water tanker from the GL auction and would like to use the same 5 ton tractor to pull that as well. Whatever truck I buy will stay off the pavement so top speed isn't really of concern to me. Don't need a turbo and I'm not looking to win any races. This will be a ranch duty rig with a purpose that will be used daily.

Can a pto be installed on the 5 speed trannies? Can one be installed on a cat semi auto 16 speed like on the line haul tractors?

what series of 5 tonners would you be looking for if you were me? We are mechanically able so I can install a 5th wheel on any kind of truck. It doesn't have to come with one.

I really like the truck pictured on the following ad. I saw the ad in another thread that came up earlier today. It's kinda far from me as I'm in south texas.

1986 AM GENERAL M123 Cab & Chassis Truck For Sale At TruckPaper.com

Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any advice you guys might offer, :-D

Sephirothq

You are probably looking for an M809 series truck. the M818 is the truck with the fifth wheel setup for pulling a trailer.
you will want to change the tires to something with a more agressive.
it have a 250 cummins NTC engine.
5 speed trans
PTO on the trans.

rorybellows

id find a 916 (915 with front drive axle) with the 16 sp cat tranny. or a 931 series tractor, this has the allison 5 speed. they pull alright

mlwats1@hotmail.com

the truck in butler mo is a m813 with the winch and bed removed, i have driven this truck 600 plus miles and i built the tires up and installed the winch in my bobbed m35a2. it was a good running truck with a PTO the last time i saw it

serv

Thanks for the responses guys.

Sephirothq, when you say more aggressive tires, are you talking about 14.00R20 Michelin XL type singles or NDT's in duals?

rorybellows,

do you know if the cat 16 speed has provisions for a pto?

andy,

I'll check that pm, thanks

Sephirothq

I and a lot of other people here can tell you that the Non directional tires (NDT) are poor choice for traction. They tend to get the treads filled with mud or whatever you are driving in and just spin then. So a super single would e a much better choice.

either that or find a commercial tire that is a directional traction tire.

the 900 series would be a better choice in truck
automatic
air shift front axle

but are a little harder to find and cost more

rorybellows

i was lookin for more info, but couldnt find anything. these were used in dump trucks and the such, so im assuming that it has at least provisions for a pto

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks