• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New member looking for CUCV addvice

AgeOfDarkness94

Hello everyone, my name is Tyler and I finally joined SS (after months of browsing). I appologize in addvance for my noobishness/ignorance of this forum.
Anyway, I'm finally ready to kick the old habbit of being a city slicker and get some mud on my boots. Namely by getting an offroad vehicle of some sort. After some searching, I came accross the M1009 CUCV as a cheapish 4x4 project. However, I am very new to this hobby and am enstranged by the older hardware. Now I've worked with cars in a tranny shop with my dad my whole life (so I know a liitle), but never on anything military, let alone a diesel.:lost:

Now that I'm ready to hop on the band wagon I have a LIST of questions so please bear with me

what I plan to do is build a 3/4 ton 4 passenger 4x4 with at least 250hp by the end of the build and able to still be used as a daily driver with a simple tire change
I'm not completely dead set on the CUCV idea but given it's my cheapest option I'd like to start there.(10,000 budget)

1) I would like to have a turbo/supercharger (or both) put on my rig is there anything I need to upgrade from stock to make this possible (rods,rings,pistons,crank,plugs, exhaust etc?)
2)power steering?
3) AC?
4)rear doors?
5) snorkle(s)?
6) lift kits?
7) brush gaurds/body kits?

Thank you for your time and any addvice you can offer would be very much appreciated.

-AOD out

Last edited:

watkinssr

They come with power steering, no rear doors, ac is doable, comes with a brush guard.

Best advice I can give you...SAVE YOURSELF. RUN AWAY. get into a cheaper hobby, like heroin, and polygamy.

AgeOfDarkness94

Yeah well I considered that but none of them were as much fun as gettin covered in mud and sand lol

Wow fast repies too thanks a bunch guys

I've been hearing rumors that the 6.2L has issues with high ammounts of boost from turbo/super chargers. Is there any truth to that? I figure 10-12 psi) shouldn't be a big deal but I'm not familiar with the 6.2. I know a few People have done turbos here but what about twin charging?(turbo+supercharger)
I am aware the 1009 has no rear doors OEM but I was wondering if anyone had maguiver'd a set for the 1009 before.

watkinssr

THere comes a point where customizing a something gets so extreme that you would have better been served starting with something different.

Adding a 6.5L diesel to a four door Tahoe and painting it green maybe...Just my two cents.

If you strip away all the things that make a cucv different from a civy truck, then it would probably be cheaper just start with a civy truck.

Personally, I became obsessed with the m1009 for two reasons.
The simplicity/utility of it.
I've been obsessed with military stuff since I was a kid reading CB Colby books.

K9Vic

Best advice I can give you...SAVE YOURSELF. RUN AWAY. get into a cheaper hobby, like heroin, and polygamy.
Sorry, I had to LOL on that comment knowing your unfortunate struggles with your M1009. But yes the repair cost can be expensive, but much cheaper if you do it yourself.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, the Detroit Diesel 6.2L engine (when NEW) produced approximately 135 hp AT the flywheel.

Getting that particular engine to produce 250 hp WILL be a challenge.

If this is what you are set on, read this thread. Because Devilman DID all the things you are talking about. AND THEN SOME.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/27571-cucv-build-here-we-go-again.html

You will spend WAY MORE than $10k to produce the truck you want.

But most of what you want to do (no rear doors, no place to mount the 'upper hinge' as it were) IS possible.

It just costs money.

Hope that helps.

AgeOfDarkness94

Like I said I'm not DEAD set on the 1009, I just would like to keep It in than family (easy access to parts and their simplicity mostly.) basically what I need is something that can handle some abuse (I don't too much tree trimming and climbing lol, have enough umpf to get me through the thick mud and sand, and has enough room for a couple friends some gear and a cooler, all for around 10-12k if it's managable.
Any suggestions, or should I turn tail and run the Heck outta dodge?

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Geared CORRECTLY this will do most of what you want. If you are attempting to go offroading and mudding, then you COULD buy the pickup M1008 but it would eliminate the ability to carry FOUR people. OR, just swap in a different set of gears or swap in the axles from a 1008 under a 1009 and then swap the TH400 for the 700R4 (w/OD) and you will meet MOST of your requirements.

Perhaps swap the NP208 transfer case in the 1009 out for an NP205, which is all but bullet proof.

Hope that helps.

This IS doable. But it is NEVER cheap.

CycleJay

Hello Sir,

No offense and I am not trying to burst your bubble, but...

Turn tail and run...
You should have respect for the original design and intended use of the M1009.
To keep it original and stock.
You can get what you want just by buying a civilian SUV as cheap as possible,
and then use the rest of the money on the customizations you need to get what you want
out of it.

I have an M1009, and I have enough respect for it, that I plan to restore it to full military condition eventually as time and money permits.
And when I am done, it will serve my needs perfectly, as it already pretty much does.

Good luck, have a good day,

CJ

AgeOfDarkness94

Geared CORRECTLY this will do most of what you want. If you are attempting to go offroading and mudding, then you COULD buy the pickup M1008 but it would eliminate the ability to carry FOUR people. OR, just swap in a different set of gears or swap in the axles from a 1008 under a 1009 and then swap the TH400 for the 700R4 (w/OD) and you will meet MOST of your requirements.

Perhaps swap the NP208 transfer case in the 1009 out for an NP205, which is all but bullet proof.

Hope that helps.

This IS doable. But it is NEVER cheap.
Good advice, thanks I hadn't thought of that yet. I am considering taking the engine out of an older model tahoe so I can have the 6.5L power and then running a 205TC from a 700r4 tranny to the 1008 axles. Seems like I'm building Dr. Frankenstien's weekend express lol. According to my research though, it seems that the 700r4 was OEM for a 2WD? Will that present some problms inning it to the NP205?
Also, will the 6.5L fit inside the engine housing of the blazer without exensive mod work? It's just an idea for now I think I'll sick with getting it geared right.
Well, minus the new engine, how much would I be looking at for:a set of m1008 axles, 700r4 trans, a 205 TC, and a running m1009?. I would also like to insulate the cab with spray foam/bed liner and run an ac unit so I need that factored in as well. Sorry for the bombardment of questions guys I really do appreciate the help and oppinons EVERYONE has been giving (including the die hard enthusiasts who hate seeing spinners on an MV lol)
I'll post updates ASAP on my build I'm working on a deal right now with a friend of mine who owns a private MV junkyard in FL

-AOD out

Mudstone

Well i'm kinda in the middle of what you are planning. I payed 3g for my truck. it had 92k on it or so and was already titled and whatnot so i didn't have to deal with GL.

First i took it out bone stock and beat the **** out of it off road. Went through some deep water and mud. Got it stuck. Got it un stuck. Repeated met people talked to people. Got addicted.

So far. I have replaced batteries and mounts, brakes, harmonic balancer, intake manifold, crossover, thermostat, coolant, trans fluid, differential fluids, oil, rear tailgate window assembly, belts, passenger a frame window that ran me a bunch of money just to get the truck mechanically solid. Which i feel it (knock on wood) is.

My first trigger pull to make it more off road capable was a 4inch shackle flip from ORD with a 4inch leaf pack of HD springs up front. I would recomend the B52 but i didn't have the time ot energy to source another set of rear springs. CVCT did the whole install for me and they are awesome.

Then i bought a set of 37" humvee tires and rims recentered and powdercoated. Mounted those and drove it to maryland from CT. Truck does fine on the 37s but the gearing and 10 bolt axles are crap.

I bought a Dana 60 front axle in its original crate still covered in sealant no rust rotors calipers and pads everything there but hubs. I am currently searching for a 14bff for the rear and both will be 4.56 gears. When i do the axles i will crossover steer, clock transfer, flat belly the truck.

So far... here's how the numbers look.

Truck- $3000
Repairs-$2000
Suspension-$3000
Rims and Tires-$1000
Axles-$400 with another 2-3000 to spend

Basically what it comes down to is this. When i first got into the M1009 i wanted to just restore and roll it forever.

After i took it wheeling and realized it was a pretty **** tough truck, I wanted to make it the mother of all off road cucv. In time it will be. If you are just starting out wheeling i recomend the cucv bone stock. It'll do more than i thought it could. Learn it build it work on it etc. I think my M1009 has and will continue to grow at a faster rate than i. The truck is currently more off road capable than i am. That can be dangerous.

my 2cents hope it helps. I love my 1009 just wish it had A/C... 1000$ in parts from odiron i believe. best of luck and keep us informed on how you progress regardless of decision.

Oh and thanks for making me realize with the money i've spent i could have bought a dodge 3500 with a cummins lightly used.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's kinda funny. I was getting in a buddy of mines truck and started to roll the window down. He said, "I got AC". It literally cracked up. I mainly just drive my CUCV'swith NO AC so the first thing I do is roll down the window.

Mudstones original part of the story parallels mine. Bought a 60k 85 Blazer. I've had it for three plus years. It's currently got about 66K miles on it right now.

BE VERY CAREFUL. THIS STUFF IS VERY ADDICTIVE.

I bought an M1028A2 dually last year. And used it to drag back my SECOND M1009 (HONEST DEAR, I'm trying to sell the first one). http://www.steelsoldiers.com/military-vehicle-road-trips/54383-m1009-recovery-success.html

So, be VERRRY CAREFULLL.... I'm kinda in the dog house right now, but I'm sure the wife will calm down eventually. In three or six months or so.

Hey, IT IS ALL MY FAULT. I even ASKED IN ADVANCE with the boss if I could spend the money and got the green light. But by winning that auction I put a dent in our monthly cash flow for a month that kind 'irked' her. LIKE I SAID, ALL MY FAULT.

That she lets me collect and keep these trucks at all speaks volumes. The fact that she gives me the money TO DO all this is beyond all comparison.

NO, they broke the mold after she was made, so don't even ask. And like I told her. Hopefully one day (about twenty years from now) when she takes my keys away from me, I'll hopefully have a complete collection of low milage CUCV's from the 1980's era of military life.

And either a collector or museum is going to score big. And I'll sit back and just smile...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks