• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New member, looking for my retirement project.

jcee

Recently joined, about two weeks ago and couldn't be enjoying this site more. Absolutely everything you need to know is as simple as a search. Thanks to all of the members! What a wealth of information on everything.

What I'm looking to find is a project for after my retirement in about two years. My intention is to purchase either a M-1078/M-1079 or M-1088 to convert into a fully self contained camper/RV. I've been to the local NG motor pool nearby and have talked to the mechanics and a few drivers and all have expressed how well these vehicles perform off road and on the highways. If I can find an LMTV or FMTV in great shape I'm going to remove the cargo bed, place a cargo box off of another truck and install all I need, shower stove, fridge etc. I'm also considering the 1088 and removing the 5th wheel and associated equipment and place the cargo box on it. Question on the 1088, what is the cooling system that resembles a radiator and fan on the rear passenger side. What does it cool?

To owners of these trucks what other issues do you see as I plan this project? What advice do you have for a future owner? Would I be better off buying a 5 ton and converting it?

Again, thanks to all for the mountains on info on this site. I'm sure I'm going to be posting question after question so if I'm headed down the wrong path or simply need an explanation feel free to shoot me an Email or post it on site. I'm here. ALOT!

Thanks!:beer:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome and good luck with your search!

Something to consider with the 5 ton is the need for a Class A or B license and just the fact that it's a bigger vehicle so has all the obstacles of such when off road. Personally I'm thinking of building (or having built) a metal framed slide in camper for my M1078. I've been designing it in my head with the idea of hydraulic or manual powered cranks in each corner so when on the road it would be as low as the cab top but when camping you could crank it up similar to a pop up camper. I've seen Expedition trucks built like that with the section between the sides and the deployed top made out of canvas with windows sewn in. That way the sides are simply flat but you get a lot of light when the top is up. With something like that you could still pull it out and have the full use of the bed when not traveling.

The other idea was to get one of the LMTV trailers and build the camper in the trailer. Then I could haul it to Moab or Big Bend, drop the trailer, do trail rides and have the camp already set up when I got back.

jcee

Thanks for the welcome.

In Pennsylvania I have found that a class B, Non-Commercial license is required to drive any of the vehicles I want to convert. This is due to the air brakes.

I also have given consideration to the pop-up type simply because of the height problems but I have found several cargo boxes 15' l x 8' w and with a 7'6" ceiling. With the LMTV already at 9' plus and the underpass minimum at around 13' my absolute height has to be under 13'. I measure from the frame to the top of the cab at around 5', the cargo box at 2' above that that leaves me little for the roof AC, vents and an antenna.

Yea, lots to think about.

jcee

Something else I've considered is using a truck bed camper for a pickup and sliding it into the cargo bed. Granted the overhang that's normally over the pickup cab would be too low to clear the LMTV cab but the area under the over hang could be used for a separate slide in module housing a larger fresh water tank, generator, solar storage batteries and anything else that would fit. It would take considerable amount of design and planning but that's part of the enjoyment of a project like this.

Also, since most truck bed campers hang to or below the back bumper you would have a reduced step up space. Don't know how that would affect your departure angles though.

Shark Bait

Welcome from West Virginia. I can't answer your 5 ton MTV questions but, I've had my LMTV for a couple years now and love it. The ride is comfy and not too bad on the highway. A little under powered but a Cat dealer can probably fix some of that for you and the mountains here in WV doesn't help that either. Good luck and welcome aboard the green addiction.

Dave

Lmtv772

Banned
welcome from Florida, sir. Let me know If I can be of assistance in finding your project.
depending on the Year a M1088 might be more of a suitable candidate. The engine , likely a c7 has about 100 more HP , the brake system is upgraded.
many components are of higher quality. Our 2004 M1088 is a lot fast than my 1993 M1078 for instance.
I was going to say that the weight of an M1088 might require you to get a CDL, but that may not be the case if you turn it into an RV.
Like i said, feel free to PM me. I'll see that I can help you as good as I can.
~michael

Last edited:

jcee

Thanks Michael!

Per the DMV, in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania anything with air brakes constitutes a CDL. It may be a non-commercial CDL but they are one and the same. I tend to agree with you about the MTV. Bigger motor, more speed, 6x6 equals much better traction when you need it. Two questions, do the diff's in any of these trucks have locking center sections or is there another method of full 6x6 drive. Other question, what is the fan assembly on the passengers side platform ahead of the 5th wheel?

Jim

Lmtv772

Banned
Thanks Michael!

Per the DMV, in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania anything with air brakes constitutes a CDL. It may be a non-commercial CDL but they are one and the same. I tend to agree with you about the MTV. Bigger motor, more speed, 6x6 equals much better traction when you need it. Two questions, do the diff's in any of these trucks have locking center sections or is there another method of full 6x6 drive. Other question, what is the fan assembly on the passengers side platform ahead of the 5th wheel?

Jim
Sorry, no locking diffs standard on any FMTV
the radiator you see is an auxiliary radiator especially for these trucks to keep them cool when towing heavy loads.

Johno176

To answer the question about the M1088's auxillary radiator, it is actually a transmission cooler. All of the 6x6 MTV's have them. They are located between the frame rails just ahead of the middle axle. The M1088 is mounted just behind the spare tire and is larger then the rest of the MTV's.

1951M1078

Welcome to the dark side.

The cooler just ahead of the 5th wheel is for the trans on the M1088. On the stake bed 6x6 its under the bed. My plan was just to move it.

M1088 with box.jpg

aleigh

Welcome,

If you want a camper you might look more towards the flatbed trucks like the 1087 and the M1083;

More than a few people seem to have gotten things like the Alaskan Non-Cabover and slid them onto the back of the truck. A couple points. The original bed is heavy - like I've heard 4000# heavy although I have not weighed it myself - so if you take it off you are looking at some serious weight savings which might translate into fuel econ or that much more weight you can put into a battery array or white/black tanks. The other thing about these trucks is that the bed is raised on another frame. It's kind of bed on frame on frame if that makes any sense. So you can get the height lower. I could go measure mine but a guess is the second frame is maybe... 6 or 8 inches? My guess is 8 since that translates to a 52" ride height on the main frame.

I plan on setting up a camper on mine for an Alaska 2017 trip but I will leave the original bed, so, the thought is to build a skid with a camper on it of one kind or another. I'm leaning towards from-scratch but I've been also looking at the alaskans and the knock-off pop-ups. There are the radio shelter boxes but they are pretty high and by the time you modify one enough it seems like you ought to have just made the shell from scratch since it's not - persay - that difficult for someone in the fabrication arts.

I don't know about PA but generally the moment it is an RV, and each state defines that differently - here in WA I think you need a bathroom and a pass-through from the cab but don't quote me - then they pretty much throw all the licensing out the window and you can drive it on an ordinary license. How that makes sense I have no idea, but there it is. So ignore the fact it's the truck and look into the RV license requirements and you might get a pleasant surprise.

Last edited:

jcee

Thanks for all the info and suggestions. There's so much to consider any input is good input.

I do have a request...I need the frame width off of an LMTV and an MTV. Outside to outside measurements, end to end. Basically looking to replace the cargo bed on the LMTV or using an MTV, remove the entire 5th wheel assembly and relocate the tranny oil cooler. On the LMTV I would mount the new box exactly where the cargo bed is and on the MTV it would be as close to the air intake/spare tire mount as space will allow.

My intention is to mount a dry cargo van box on the frame to use as an RV. Finding a frame width match between the truck and a cargo box could be a big issue. I want to be as close as possible to ensure stability.

Thanks, Jim

Lmtv772

Banned
Thanks for all the info and suggestions. There's so much to consider any input is good input.

I do have a request...I need the frame width off of an LMTV and an MTV. Outside to outside measurements, end to end. Basically looking to replace the cargo bed on the LMTV or using an MTV, remove the entire 5th wheel assembly and relocate the tranny oil cooler. On the LMTV I would mount the new box exactly where the cargo bed is and on the MTV it would be as close to the air intake/spare tire mount as space will allow.

My intention is to mount a dry cargo van box on the frame to use as an RV. Finding a frame width match between the truck and a cargo box could be a big issue. I want to be as close as possible to ensure stability.

Thanks, Jim
Tracking

Lmtv772

Banned
From the end of the frame on M1088 to air filter it is 14'
from the end of the frame on M1078 to air filter it is 12' 10"