• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New member, looking to buy deuce to travel continent

ImONPoint.org

Hello all, just found this site and joined up. So far, found a lot of great info and wanted to post up a short intro and what I'm looking to get into.

I joined the Army Reserves right after graduating high school in 2000 and due to my high ASVAB scores was offered a position as a Civil Affairs Operator. Loved the job, with it's variety, small teams and ability to help others and make a difference. Went on a couple deployments before being put before a medical review board due to some medical issues. They ended up nixing the MRB and honorably discharged me.

I got hooked up with the VA and worked on my disability claim which took years but finally got approved. I moved to Arizona to get away from the Indiana winters, only to find the heat in Phoenix to be blast oven like. With no career or steady job, I moved back home and am almost done with my criminal justice degree.

Lately, I've had a lot of pain in both of my knees which has forced me to give up my lifetime passion of motorcycling. Now that I'm selling all of my bikes and gear, I had to find a new hobby. One of my friends introduced me to Adventure Racing (hiking, mountain biking, kayaking, orienteering) and it's been like crack for me.

I recently got in contact with ImONPoint.org and became a sponsored athlete. Their mission is to help disabled vets recover by getting them active in physical competitions. I'm just getting started, but have a lot of ideas of things I can do to raise awareness for the organization and help other vets like myself.

Finally, where the SS community comes in...my plan is to acquire an M35A2 in good condition and do all of the required maintenance to make it a road worthy and reliable vehicle. Logo it up with ImONPoint.org and other sponsor graphics and tour the country and then the continent. One question on that- how friendly are the Central and South American countries when they see a deuce in camo come rolling up? I lived in Belize before about a decade ago and have traveled the East coast of Mexico to and from several times but always in civilian vehicles.

Well, hope I didn't bore anyone with my intro. Hope to get to know some other vets and knowledgeable mechanics in this realm. Any and all help, tips or suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you very much guys[thumbzup]

Patrick

dozer1

Welcome to the site. Thank you for your service to the country. I don't know the answer to this question "how friendly are the Central and South American countries when they see a deuce in camo come rolling up?" but I have a question of my own. Is hiking, mountain biking, kayaking, orienteering easier on the knees then motorcycling? Must have been motorcross I am guessing. ImONPoint.org sounds like a great organization.

ImONPoint.org

I get that question a lot and so far the only thing that the doctors and I can figure out is the constant vibrations from the engine going through the foot pegs to my knees???

The only adventure 'racing' I have done so far has been on a short course of 4 to 6 hours and I usually take one or both of my Labradors and complete it at my own pace. Hopefully the MRI and other tests the VA is doing in the next month will lead to a more long term solution other than 'here, take these percocet when you have pain'.

Lex_Ordo

Welcome aboard!
This is really a great site for the Military Vehicle enthusiast. I have an M35A2, which I did an extensive restoration to, and if you get a hold of one like mine, you will have a blast getting it set up the way you want it.

nofearnohope

Welcome to the site and thanks for your service. I cannot answer your question about Central and South American countries, but would like to make a suggestion for you. If you are planning on traveling cross-country, you may want to look into an M109 instead of an M35A2 since it already has a prebuilt shop van on the back which can easily be converted to a camper. It also gives you a lot more flat surface for logos and such.

ImONPoint.org

That was definitely one of my next questions, whether or not I'd be better off with the big box already on the truck or if it would make more sense to convert a box truck box so I have a fresh start. The other idea I have is to make it so the 'camper' box is able to be taken off the truck if I'm at an area for an extended amount of time. The other option is to trailer around a jeep or some other small vehicle for running around in when I'm on location. I imagine these things haul a pretty good trailed load?

ImONPoint.org

Thanks for the idea, would towing it with or without a trailer be best you suppose? I'm also considering a water buffalo trailer or tank. Then there's the whole muti fuel capability that I'd like to take advantage of by installing a large tank for some mutli-fuel. I know there's a whole section about this part of these trucks and after I finish up some college work I'll be hitting that area hard.

Welcome aboard. I have 5 deuces, one of which is an M109A3, and it definately is a keeper. The only problem with it is the extra weight of the 12' box opn the back makes her a bit sluggish even when she is not loaded, and a definite pig when she is loaded. Another thing is the mileage, or lack there of. I think my M109 gets about 10 MPG tops, and that is empty with a strong breeze blowing from behind, and no hills. You will also slow down to about 30 MPH whenever there is a fairly steep or long hill, and she has a tops speed of about 56 MPH on a flat stretch.
Don't want to be a kill-joy here, just want you to have a realistic expectation of the payoff for your investment. One mod I would like to do is put a nice Caterpillar engine with the Allison auto-trans behind it. Another good point to make is the obvious benefits of 6-wheel-drive, and the fact hardly anything will stop her from a crawl in low-range and first gear. Hope this helps with your decision making.

ImONPoint.org

Thanks for your input akonitony, it sounds pretty much what I was thinking as far as the capabilities go. I can understand wanting more oooomph out of your rigs and Allison does make kick-ass shiftboxes. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to deal with the inadaquicies of the multi-fueler for the trade off in ruggedness and the ability to run it on most anything fairly flammable.
What would your suggestions be if I do want to make a heavy rig that is capable of being lived in and trailering a small jeep like vehicle?

Kohburn

side thought on the knees... have you ever been tested for Lyme? primary symptom is joint pain / arthritis.

ImONPoint.org

I'll have to check that out, especially with the excessive amount of time the dogs and I are in the woods. We usually spend the following days after our outings picking ticks off, fun fun. Thanks for the suggestion, research and test to follow...

maynard83

As for Latin American countries, it depends. No matter what, you are going to stick out like a sore thumb and everyone is going to know you are a Gringo. And they are going to automatically assume you are a rich American once they see you and your vehicle. It doesn't matter that you are just above the poverty line like the rest of us here, they will look at you as someone with tons of money. Why else would this Gringo Pendejo be driving down here?
Right now you definately don't want to be driving anywhere in Venezuela and even though Colombia is an ally and loves Americans, you have to worry about the FARC terrorists kidnapping you and adding your vehicle to their cause and holding you for ransom.
Mexico is dangerous depending on what part of the country you drive and the time of day. My father in law had run into real life "Bandidos" in the past where they set up improptu road blocks and steal everything you have and even kidnap you for ransom. If you decide to make a trip one thing I will tell you is to NEVER and I mean NEVER stop in the middle of nowhere to help anyone who is broken down and waving for help (they will use women and children). The best thing to do is to put the pedal to the metal and let the authorities know at the next town or city. Even if you speak Spanish things are difficult because hey, you are a gringo and have tons of money right?.
The best thing to do is to plan, plan, plan, and check out the State Department website for travel advisories. And do not carry a firearm, if they find weapons on you they will throw you in jail.
I am not trying to send negative or bash Latin America, heck I am Latino, it's just the reality of the times.

Heavysteven

First off I applaud you on your efforts.

Here are my thoughts on driving a M35a2 into south america. First would would need to buy a deuce. Then before you go off on a 2K mile trip you would have to rebuild it. I mean EVERYTHING not only to make it realible but to make you a deuce expert. Before i would consider driving that distance you would have be able to do it all, cause if you break down in mexico it could be game over. It took me 4 months to get my truck road ready.

Good Luck

gunner01

Welcome aboard. A deuce with custom tarp logoed would be a great benefit ie:eek:pen/close. Military trucks in Central America will gaurantee theft and ransom . I am on the board of directors for 2 foundations that serve in Central America. We can not have anyrhing that resembles military except camo shorts.If we have anything that represents Military.... Basically paint a bullseye on yourself because you are now the most recent target. As stated before (bandidos) will take it and you with ease. After all that feel free to purchase my deuce and decorate her however you want. But please no bullet holes

jesusgatos

I've spent the last year and a half building pretty much what you're talking about, and I'm still only about 80% of the way there. It's a BIG undertaking, but if you have the means, the know-how, and the desire, it can certainly be done. I decided to start with an M109A3 and I've done a full motorhome conversion, with all of the appointments that you'd expect to find in a motorhome, except that everything is extra-ultra-heavy-duty. I'm also building a small (10ft) enclosed trailer out of an M103A3 to tow behind Mah Deuce. That will full of all my dirt bikes and toys, as well as all my tools and other junk. Do some reading and let us know if/when you have any more specific questions.

Oh, and sorry to hear that you had to give up riding motorcycles. But how is it that you're on disability and yet you're healthy enough to be a sponsored adventure racer? I helped put on some of the first Primal Quest events, so I've got some idea of what you guys go through. Don't mean to pry into your personal affairs, I'm just a little bit confused.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to Steel Soldiers!

As a veteran with a disability (although not a "disabled Vet") I applaud your efforts to help other Vets and encourage them to remain active.

My personal opinion (and it is strictly that) is that you might get more mileage traveling the upper portion of N America (US, Canada, Alaska) to get your message to veterans and also not have to worry nearly as much about your personal safety or travel restrictions on your vehicle. There's plenty of adventure racing up here (and up there). Too bad the Eco-Challenge has died out since that seemed to have the biggest exposure and I would have LOVED to see a deuce parked around there.

Another benefit of sticking to the northern latitudes is folks like you'll find right here. You have a breakdown going through any of the 50 states and you're just one post away from finding help. If you were to break down in Cabo San Lucas I might be able to get there but doubt I could put a new transfer case in my carry-on.

Once you figure out the final scenario send me a message. I might be able to round up enough to buy a 2"x2" spot of advertising on the truck for my charity (see tag line)

What would your suggestions be if I do want to make a heavy rig that is capable of being lived in and trailering a small jeep like vehicle?
I think I would lean towards a bobbed M35A3 with a custom-made camper in the box. A couple of guys on here have put the portable shelters in the bed of their rigs. A bobbed deuce with a Caterpillar wouldn't necessarily be faster, but it would be able to keep up it's top speed more easily, and have more maneuverability off road as well. If you are not in a hurry to get anywhere, and plan on being on pavement most of the time, an M109A3 or A4 (Big bucks) with locking hubs installed in the front and middle axles would be a good option. None of my trucks have locking hubs yet, but I have heard tale they make a big difference in acceleration and mileage.

DJones

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Patrick,
Welcome Aboard! I live just east of Indy in Hancock county. If you ever have time you could come over and check out my Deuce and maybe take her for a drive.
David

goodguyzy

here is my 2 cents, drive a deuce that far and your back will hurt so bad you wont realize that you have knee pain. i have 3 deuces, driven 8 hours to get home with 2 and 5 with the other one. before you buy, drive one for an hour on the freeway and then you will see what I'm talking about. having said that, ill never give up my mv's just because they are uncomfortable, they just need some mods. my 2 cents on central and south America? BLEND IN, you stick out=
1: mugged
2: kidnapped
3: worse

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks