• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New member - Need generator advice

parrothead

Hello. I have an old military generator, stock # 6115-627-9031. It is a 15KW unit with a Hercules 198 c.i. diesel engine. The mfg. date is 5-25-60.
This thing has been sitting since the military sold it. We've had the thing since around '84, and it was idle for years before we got it.

First of all, is there a different identifying name / nickname/ number for this unit for ease of parts sourcing?

Secondly, I have experience reviving old tractors, but what should I do before attempting to pour in fresh fuel and cranking this thing up? I've never messed with a generator before. Do the generator bearings require any lube?

Finally, I'd like to use this as an emergency power source for my home. This is a 3 phase generator. Can I run this on 2 legs for single phase power?

Thanks!

Ray70

Welcome Parrothead! Hopefully some of the fine members here will be able to help you identify what you have there, maybe a picture would help??
Once you identify it, maybe you can get a TM or service manual to get more detail as to how to prep it to attempt starting.
In general the things you are going to want to do is first try turning over by hand to ensure everything moves freely. Then you will want to drain and change any and all fluids and filters, flush the fuel system, prime the fuel system and get fully charged batteries ready. Before attempting to start do a thourough visual inspection of EVERYTHING to look for obvious problems. Then do the inspection again to be sure you caught all the obvious stuff!
Once you know what you're dealing with you will be able to research to determine what other items will need to be addressed on a unit that old, such as any other lube/grease points that need to be checked and most of all, make sure you fully understand how to operate it and hook up the unit before attempting to start it!
The other guys will soon jump in with much more detailed info for you, but I can at least give you the basics. The more you can learn before attempting to start it the better. Some of the old units have quirks that you might not think of if you are only used to dealing with newer generators. For instance, if I recall correctly, some old units ( small ones) were not designed to run without at least a small load on them, like at least a light bulb.

Once you get it operational and all the bugs worked out, then you can deal with how to run single phase off it. I'm sure it can be done, but there might be more to it than just loading 2 legs. There might be a distribution board that can be reconfigured or you may have to do a little load balancing. Worry about that once she's operational though.
Post some pictures.... the're worth a thousand words, and we love to see this stuff! :popcorn:

Isaac-1

Unfortunately there is likely not going to be a lot of information out there due to the vintage, in the early 1960's the DOD did not have a clear procurement approach to generators and as a result there were many models out there, during the Vietnam era they found support logistics were a nightmare, so the MEP generator program was started in the late 60's to standardize military generators.

o1951

Well, it ain't that old, says a guy got a 1951 mil surplus generator that was built on a 1938 design. It is my backup.
Since yours has been sitting a long time, after installing fresh fluids and filters, I would look hard at pulling injectors and pouring motor oil in cylinders. I usually pull the oil sender unit and hook up a pressure oiler to prelube something that has been sitting a long time. I oil it up, give it a turn or 2 and oil some more.
Then I run the starter with rag over injector holes, and injectors secured so the spray goes in a safe place - not at you. If I see a bunch of rust in the oil on the rags, then I know cylinder walls are rusted, and I think about a teardown. This is critical on a diesel, because it will run off crankcase oil if enough is getting into combustion chamber.

If it rolls good without bad noises, put injectors back, and fire it up. I keep the air cleaner OFF, and have a board right handy in case the rack sticks or something happens and it starts to run away. Shutting off the fuel may not do it, stopping the air always does.

o1951

Thanks! Will it be ok to run the generator with no load / nothing connected?
There is an end bearing on the generator that should be repacked before running for an extended time. Grease gets old. When you have the endcap off, you check that the brushes move freely in their holders, connections good, no corrosion or loosies, that the commutator/ sliprings are clean. You clean with scotchbrite, and then clean any residue. Do not use emery or sandpaper - leaves grit and since emery has aluminum oxide - conductive particles.
You check wires are still ok, controls, circuit breakers function.

Yes, it is ok to run without a load for a bit. It takes a while to wet stack.
Turn all breakers / switches off. Your first priority is to get engine running stable, then you work on the generator.

dlsacco

0CSK6
[HR][/HR]WINCO INCORPORATED
225 SOUTH CORDOVA AVENUE
LE CENTER
MN
507-357-6821
[HR][/HR]​
[HR][/HR]​
[HR][/HR]​
Reference Numbers (Part Numbers)
D15H18M
D15H18M
MILG10327TYPE2CLASSA
Required Categories
CURRENT TYPE
AC WATTAGE RATING
FREQUENCY RATING
PHASE
LINE TO LINE VOLTAGE I
Required Description
AC
15.0 KILOWATTS AND
12.5 KILOWATTS
60.0 HERTZ NOMINAL AND
50.0 HERTZ NOMIN
Not a lot of info...but

PeterD

White Hercules D198

Google brings up some info
Did the MEP 04's use these?
Yes, but there were differences in how the injection pump was mounted on the early D198 engines and the later MEP-004 ones. But basically the same engine. This generator appears to be two generations before the MEP-004, based on some experience I have with the one that was used after yours, and before the MEP-004.

dlsacco

To clarify..the generator belongs to new member parrot head. I was just filling a few idle moments researching it for him.. Sounds like a Mep 004 manual might work as a general rough guide, and I've located sources for the real manual for him above..Thanks PeterD

Yes, but there were differences in how the injection pump was mounted on the early D198 engines and the later MEP-004 ones. But basically the same engine. This generator appears to be two generations before the MEP-004, based on some experience I have with the one that was used after yours, and before the MEP-004.

Ray70

Good work guys!
I assume you will be getting a hard copy since it doesn't look like they have a PDF listed.
I don't know what the rules are for posting TM on this site, could it be scanned and posted here on SS in the generator TM section?
Or are there any copyright restrictions on these purchased manuals??

dlsacco

...and you may be able to search for the D198 Hercules engines for parts...though there have been variants of that basic engine over the years...it has been used in all sorts of equipment.

parrothead

I removed the crusty oil filter lines and fuel tank - to - filter line tonight. I'll make up some new ones tomorrow. I inspected the fuel filters, and they are both very clean and look new. For reference, the fuel filters on this D198 Hercules are AC # TP525 for the top filter and AC # TP511 for the bottom. If I can nab a tech manual, I'll scan and post it here.

parrothead

I'm still waiting on my TM from MILRADIO in England, but I did get the new fuel and oil lines installed, along with a new set of fuel filters. I bled the fuel system and repaired wires on the engine panel. Curiosity got the best of me, so I jumped across the starter solenoid to see what she would do. It turned over fine, but it didn't try to start. There doesn't seem to be any power to the panel, so the fuel solenoid on the injector pump can't be activated. I'm assuming that this is the reason. It was good to hear the thing turn over, anyway!