• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New member, new m1008 extra battery wire?

Texar2

Hello! First post here. I bought a m1008 and it came with no batteries. So I placed two new batteries in it and hooked them up according to the TM. I hooked up the small red wire from the engine wiring harness block and the black one from the body ground. There is an extra red wire coming off the battery cable that is about 4 feet long and has the plastic clip on it like it was secured to a body panel. The end of the wire has a small post attachment. Does anybody know where this extra wire goes? I say extra because it does not appear to be on the TM. Thanks for reading!

sneekyeye

If you could post a picture of it, that would help. It could maybe go to the bus bar, might be the cab power supply line. Could be custom, who knows. With a pic, it might be recognizable.

Texar2

Ok. Let me see if I can get a picture. Also the gen 2 light does not come on but I’m working on that as there are some great threads about that. Thank you for your help!

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to Steel Soliders.

As mentioned, a pic would really help.

Don’t guess and possibly hook up batteries wrong!!!
Lots of problems can happen.

Texar2

Thanks for the welcome! I think I am addicted to mil trucks now. I’m not real high tech so I’m waiting on my wife to upload the pic. The batteries are hooked up just like the tm shows. The dash lights work except for the gen 2 light. I haven’t tried the starter yet because I’m wanting to prep the engine first. Maybe I don’t need it. I will keep you guys posted. Thanks for the replies!

Texar2

It looks like it has another wire. run there already, so you might just ends up removing a duplicate wire.
I think that I have two of the same. The one I thought was extra is actually a new one to replace the beat up original one. Thanks for the help. Now I just have to figure out the gen 2 light.

Texar2

Are the glow plug resistors hooked up? Maybe it was used to bypass them.
You know. I did not check that. I connected the wire to the 12 volt power point and now the gen 2 light works. However when I turn the ignition key all I get is a click from somewhere in the engine bay. The starter has no response. The engine appears to be new with a new label and new looking starter with fresh bolts. The starter wiring appears correct. Any ideas on why it won’t turn over? The batteries are new. I also pulled the glow plugs so I could prime the oil and fuel without compression. Crank turns easily by breaker bar. Thanks everyone for your help.

sneekyeye

Might need to make sure that a 12v starter wasn't put on by mistake and immediately burnt up. If you could find that out, and check if it's even getting voltage when your turn the key to start you'll be a step further.

Texar2

I though I would try to jump the starter. Ut I have to work for the next three days. The starter is the huge direct drive with correct brace. I have the old one too.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks