• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Member / New (to me) 1984 M1008 CVCU

mmcwill56

Hi my name is Matt and I live on the North Olympic Peninsula in the state of Washington. In December of last year I won an auction through GSA for a '84 M1008. It was/is a non-runner due to extreme noise coming from back of engine / transmission bell housing area. What was a good deal ($900) has been dashed away with transport fee's and what is to come to get the truck on the road.<br><br>I pulled the front inspection cover on the trans and found the 5 sheared off bolts that hold the front pump cover on laying in the bottom of it. Looks like I need to pull the tranny and assess the damage. I'm starting to get "eye rolls" about my "good deal" so I hope it is not to major of a repair but I fear it will be. <br><br> <br>

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome aboard friend. Even if you fail at getting her on the road. A little time and patience will get you $2500 in parts from it. Have faith and post pics. Rebuilding a TH400 is not that costly.

dependable

Yeh, $900 is not bad. If it is just a flex plate replacement, I'd count that as a medium repair, as opposed to 'major". If you lucky, it is the only problem, but I'd take a close look at torque converter mounts to plate also.

The transmission internals may be fine. If you drop the transmission pan and change the filter, you'll get a good idea of transmission condition by fluid color and any metal in it. Always a good idea to change the filter on these anyway, some are still running around on original one.

edit: Your post would get more responses if in CUCV forum. I don't think you are supposed to start a new thread on same topic though. But for next time, or ask a moderator to move your thread. Welcome to the site and happy wrenching.

Last edited:

dmetalmiki

Welcome to the site and the hobby. If that (A loose drive plate) is all it turns out to be, that is an easy (ish) repair. It does seem you have a good deal so far.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks