• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Member. New to me M1028. Knew that a picture would be requested.

GreenBull

I wanted to first say thanks for SS then say hello. I've learned much from the site already.

Purchased my M1028 from GL Wright Paterson 12/29/08 (no preview). Picked it up Thursday 2/12/09. My plan for recovery was to bring batteries, fluids, and tools.

Dead batteries, LR tire needed changed, and a 'mildly' GLed rear driveshaft.

The spare was dry rotted pretty good although not deformed and holding air.

Fluids acceptable levels and no major fluid leaks.

Installed batteries and the WAIT indicator was on constant at key on. No glow plug cycling. It was sunny and 40-45 deg and the engine started within 3 cranking cycles.

Came up to high idle and warmed up nicely while I mounted the spare. Battery gage in the green and nothing spewing. Both tailpipes gone from the rear exhaust hangers. The driveshaft was dented but fairly straight.

Signed out and hit the road. Found the sweet spot speed to minimize the vibration and drove it to metro Detroit. No problems but the left bank extension pipe broke at the muffler 50 miles from home.

I'm an ASE certified master car/HD truck technician and did warranty work on these trucks while at the first Chevrolet dealer I worked for. I wanted one back then and this thing is sweet. I was lucky. Not one cupholder but it does have 2 rifle mounts.

I'll be ditching the cap and someone got one of the bumper shakles between pictures and pickup.

When I get done with my current home improvement projects I'll get to work on it.

My intention after refurbishment/servicing/shakedown is to install a two tank coolant heated WMO fuel system. I plan on ordering a stock fuel tank and sending unit and modifying the current left side tank for oil heating prior to installing it at the right side location with fill arranged at the wheel opening. I'm going to do line in hose with a flat plate heat exchanger, and fuel temperature gage.

This is my first MV but I see a bobbed WO/W Deuce in my future.:-D (I've got a plan for an electric power assist steering column)

Attachments

BobM

Looks like you got a good one also. Mine had the GL modified driveshaft and tranny to t-case adapter. I want to install a 700R4 for better cruising speeds and engine life.Mine has already paid for itself this winter.:-D