• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New member, New truck, lots to learn (4x4 and plow Q's)

kraut83

Hey guys, First I want to say that I've been reading for weeks now and have learned quite a bit. Thought I'd share my new buy and ask a few simple questions. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I feel a bit overwhelmed with the vast amount that I've been taking in. The wealth of knowledge and help available here is astounding. You guys have a great community here.

I just bought a m1008, It used to be the radio truck with the troop seats. It now has 2 large toolboxes in place of the troop seats. It looks to be almost entirely stock set up. Had 25k original miles on it when I bought it from my buddy who bought it from a movie prop company with 22k miles on it. Hardly any rust or damage at all, except a big dent on the passenger side bed from when he got to close to something and the old antennae mount rubbed on something he hit. It starts and runs fantastic, shifts a bit hard with no load and like a dream with even the slightest bit of weight on the back. So far the only thing I've noticed wrong with it is a fuel line that needs replacing and it will shift itself from 4H back to 2L while driving. It doesn't make any noise or anything it just very gradually lowers the lever back to 2L. I'm assuming its just a spring gone bad somewhere, I've read a bunch of different things at this point I believe I just need to get under it and investigate some once the snow is gone here. However if anyone has an idea of what this might be right off hand that would be great.

Now after this last snow I've been debating getting a plow for this thing. From everything I've read these things make beastly plows :) I see 2 set ups on CL here in the area and since I've never had a truck like this or a plow for that matter I could use some advice. One set up is a Meyer 8ft angling plow with electronics, pump and mount for 1400, the mount came off a k20 I was told. The other is a 7.5ft western with an isarmatic mark 3a pump and mount for an 85 Chevy for 850. supposedly both work. I'm mechanically inclined enough to install a plow I believe, however Id prefer to not drill any additional holes if I can help it. Also other than the truck I have nothing to haul the plow with, can 2 people lift all the gear into the bed or will I have to install the mount on site to drive away with it? either way ill be installing it in a driveway, I have tools just not garage. If I have to install it on site how difficult is the install and how long will it take for the average person? What all should I be looking at when buying a used plow?

I know somewhere on the forum I read that the western mounts are direct bolt on parts which makes me lean more towards the western. I've read absolutely 0 about anyone using a Meyer or how easily/well it installs. I also recall someone saying an 8ft plow works great, will a 7.5 do as well? or would this leave too much of the windrow in the path of the tires? I would be using the plow mostly for driveways (mostly friends and family with some income potential if I don't have to work, maybe even plowing my road because the county usually wont) I'm big on "efficiency" and things lasting a good long while, I don't mind maintenance so if one requires a little more than the other that is not an issue. Also a biggie for me since I want to keep it close to stock, I want to keep the bumper and brush guard on the front after the plow install with minimal to no alteration necessary.

Thanks again for reading and any help/suggestions.

Last edited:

dependable

They are good plow trucks, the locking rear differential is a plus. Like all pickups, they benefit from added weight in rear for snow driving, with plow or not. Remember plowing is pretty tough on a truck, and will usually 'use up' a truck sooner, unless you are careful about maintenance, especially rust control.

I have mostly used a heavy old 8ft Fisher. It is fine but sometimes a narrower plow is more nimble in driveway and traffic situations. Unless you are plowing a lot of road, the smaller plow might be better. A lighter weight plow will cause less wear and tear on suspension and front end.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
I've got an 8ft fisher plow on my m1028 so I can't comment on the Western or Meyer. I put the truck together for cheap just to plow the yard and 2 other driveways, and this setup was the cheapest I could find. You'll definitely want some weight in the back, it will get real sketchy with an empty bed on the road. Even though I don't use the truck for work I wouldn't go less than an 8ft plow, at full angle the width is not much more than truck.
IMG_3425.jpg

evldoer

Go with the wetern. That's what I have on mine. The Meyer pumps can be more problematic to deal with. 2 guys should be able to load that stuff in the back of a truck, as long as one of them isn't carrying a purse!

Attachments

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Go with the wetern. That's what I have on mine. The Meyer pumps can be more problematic to deal with. 2 guys should be able to load that stuff in the back of a truck, as long as one of them isn't carrying a purse!
Meyer pumps are not anymore problematic than any other pump if maintained properly and you use the correct fluid.
The old cable operated Western controls always seemed more of a problem to keep adjusted . I have no experience with the detach Westerns . Older Fishers clean nice but can be hard on the truck frame since only the cutting edge trips .

nyoffroad

I've got an old Western on my truck, it started out as a 7.5' but had 6" added to each end and I love it. It's a PIA to mount up until ya get the hang of it. The cables can be and usually are a pain to deal with but once adjusted I lock em down tight and forget em.
Don't even try mounting the plow where you buy it, that will be more hassle than it's worth. I've taken this plow frame off one truck and put it on another and somethings always off a bit.

snowtrac nome

in the guard we had Meyers plows they seemed to work fine with a cucv, I had to build up the return stops a bit the plow started leaning backward. my dodge ctd has a frink commercial style plow now. On the westerns I broke a lot of older proplow A frames the fishers lasted longer but my cummins found weaknesses in them to, I've had the frink trailblazer for years now maybe 12 and it's still going strong. the frink will squash a chevy spring pack with out some adda leafs. My vote goes for meyer now over an older western the new westerns are owned by fisher essential the same plow and controls now. I'm also no fan of trip moldboards, I like trip edge plows better

dougco1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unless you plan on plowing commercially for 4 months a year like a lot of guys do up north here. I would put a smaller lighter cheaper plow on. Not knowing what part of Virginia your in, how often do you need a plow anyways?

kraut83

I decided against the plow for now. After reading more and everyone's replies it seems like I would be better off saving the money and working more on the little things on the truck. Id only be plowing 2-3 times a year at most and never more than a couple hundred feet of drive way. Ill never get stuck even if I don't plow, so the money might be better spent on something else. At least for now :)

On the upside, I replaced a vacuum line and smoothed out the shifting significantly. Had to replace and put an alternator bolt through backwards because someone at one time put the wrong threaded bolt into it and stripped the threads out of the alternator, Was a PITA because I was testing the 4H adjustment but couldn't start the truck. Found the alternator belt super loose after I had tightened it last week... so had to make a third trip to the store for something simple that day. Went through the lube order again while I was at it. All in all a good weekend tinkering.

I wanted to get to the window crank gearing and lube it too but I couldn't quite get the door panel off and didn't want to break the old plastic. Going to have to do some more reading on how to get that off all the way. The only part still stuck was the part running along the window.

Does anyone have any suggestions for tightening up the steering a bit? Even though there are only 26k miles on the shocks would it be wise to replace them considering their 32 years old? or are these things pretty much tough as nails like the rest of the truck?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks