• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New member, new truck

D'cheat

m139h2otruck said:
Having worked on these trucks for the last 2 years, the most important thing I can warn you about is the size and weight of the various components! The rear hubs w/ brake drums take two men to remove and replace without a crane. The engines weigh over 2,000# w/o the transmissions and the transfer case (our next problem) has to weigh at least 800# and needs the truck to be jacked up if removed from the bottom.

We thought about cutting the spare M139 down to a 4x4 with gas power, but after looking things over, one of the other shorter trucks would be a lot easier. Not trying to be a sour apple, just be careful and forewarned.
wow. o_O
You are in no way a sour apple. This is great information to know. I thank you very much for the warning about the heft of our trucks.

Recovry4x4, gearing also has allot to do with it. I have seen unimog 404's pull some very, very heavy loads. All be it very, very slowly. 600+ ci. of engine helps out a hell'of a lot on our ends though :D

You know, i just read the replies to this thread again. One thing appears over and over.
I can see by all the replies here that this community has a great love for these trucks. And you may well never forgive me if I take a torch to this near perfect example of a bridge truck.
So, Ill go ahead and bring it to running and highway driving condition and offer it for a trade. Heh, anybody have a tractor that they want to trade :wink:
It is a bunch of work to make it the way I want it to be. It is ashame to ruin a perfect example of our heritage.

d'cheat

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks