• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Member Pensacola, Florida (Born/Resident)

DangDang

Hello SteelSoldiers. Thanks for having me. New CUCV owner here. This forum is an unbelievable wealth of knowledge from members posts to TM’s, so… Thanks again. My CUCV is a 1986 M1028 that the local fire department had after being relieved of its military duties.

The FD used it as a brush fire truck, but from what I understand the truck hasn’t seen any action at all for 10+ years. (Trees down, subdivisions up.) I even have the Requisition and Invoice/Shipping Document that shows Beulah FD purchased it from Navy Coastal Systems Station in Panama City, FL in 2002 for $23,000.

Current Mileage is under 17k. I am obsessed with it. A lot of good changes on the way. Gotta get rid of the fire engine red and go back to OD Green. Gonna go with 6” Rough Country springs in the front, blocks in the rear. Hopefully find some good 37” HMMWV tires/wheels that won’t break the bank. The rest is just cosmetic. (New dash, lights, panels, bed liner, etc)

Attachments

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very nice , Welcome to the site ! Lots of good info here . Your 1028 looks pretty complete . Is it still 24 volt or did they do a hack job on the wiring ? There is a LOT of parts availability for the square bodies on line both NOS and repops Cucvrus is the man on CUCV's . He is a wealth of knowledge . Good luck on your project.

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hello SteelSoldiers. Thanks for having me. New CUCV owner here. This forum is an unbelievable wealth of knowledge from members posts to TM’s, so… Thanks again. My CUCV is a 1986 M1028 that the local fire department had after being relieved of its military duties. The FD used it as a brush fire truck, but from what I understand the truck hasn’t seen any action at all for 10+ years. (Trees down, subdivisions up.) I even have the Requisition and Invoice/Shipping Document that shows Beulah FD purchased it from Navy Coastal Systems Station in Panama City, FL in 2002 for $23,000. Current Mileage is under 17k. I am obsessed with it. A lot of good changes on the way. Gotta get rid of the fire engine red and go back to OD Green. Gonna go with 6” Rough Country springs in the front, blocks in the rear. Hopefully find some good 37” HMMWV tires/wheels that won’t break the bank. The rest is just cosmetic. (New dash, lights, panels, bed liner, etc)
Welcome to the Outfit!

Definite plus that you have already "cracked the books". You should get an attaboy from @Guyfang for doing that. Have to agree with @kendelrio - That is a sharp looking truck. Even in red she's "purty". Snap us some more pictures when you have a chance. Heck, maybe even create yourself a new thread so you can take pics of your progress.

DangDang

Thanks guys! @rtk Yes it is still 24v. I plan on keeping her that way for a while, but the Vintage Air conversion is pretty damn tempting living in Florida. Not a daily driver so I will manage. I couldn’t believe the amount of extra crap I pulled out of this thing! One thing I will have to replace is the front bed panel. I assume the FD didn’t secure the water tank down properly and slammed the brakes. Besides that she has some dents here and there that can be popped out and a few that aren’t gonna look like new again. But it’s a truck and that’s totally ok with me. Biggest plus is No Rust. Only some surface rust underneath.

@Mullaney thanks for the idea about starting a tread. That’s actually a great idea the more I think about it. I’ll be able to share it in one place with others instead of flipping through all my photos.

@kendelrio So I have to come clean about the TM’s. When I look at them I sometimes feel like I’m staring at ancient hieroglyphics. (Like yeah they killed a mammoth. I see it. But idk what just happened next.) That’s when I call my 70+ year old dinosaur dad in to translate for me. He‘s a lot better at those than me, but I’m always trying/willing to learn.84D8FEC0-AFE8-4379-AD1F-DD9566514166.jpeg402F16F2-A11F-4DD6-9460-B736DF46AFB5.jpeg

Attachments

87cr250r

If you can get an accessory rack from a 1996+ 6.5 engine it has dual alternator brackets AND an A/C compressor mount. This let's you keep your wiring harness unmodified. There are plug in adapters for the SI to CS alternator conversion.

PXL_20230212_021736804.jpg

Downside is that I haven't been able to find an isolated ground alternator for that rack. I had to isolate the entire alternator.

For your lift, consider using springs that the front axle 1.5 inches forward. This allows the 37 inch tires to clear the back of the wheel well without trimming, even at stock height.

16.5 inch rims are hard to come by, nowadays. that makes using HMMWV tires difficult. I suggest getting some steel 17 inch rims from a late model truck. That opens up a whole lot of options for tires.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks