• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

new member sort of

Subdood

Hello all from Alabama! I am sort of new to the forum. My Son David joined several years ago when he purchased a 1985 M1008 M1009 running gear and an SM 465 transmission with an NP 208 transfer case). He loved the truck, my wife cried and promptly named it "Big Ugly". In 2011 he was called to his eternal home shortly before graduating from high school. A case of youth, inexperience and too much speed in a vehicle, my wife's mini van. We kept the CUCV and in the past i used his account periodically. I felt it was time to start my own. It is still ugly, but we realized he saw it as it was in his dreams, not what we saw. So the tag says "BGUGLI", and the front windshield has a decal that says "David's Dream". Regardless of what I may do to the truck, those shall remain. Since I have had it I have installed yukon 3.42 gears, 31 spline axles and a detroit locker in the rear, and converted it back to an automatic, installed the doghead starter relay mod to it and went to 31's from the 33's he had on it. I haven't done much else yet, but plan on making it the way he had talked about it. My next big challenge is the heater, keep burning up fuses, no blowing them, melting the case. I have already replaced the resistors, blower motor and switch (not just throwing parts at it, they all failed at different times). The wiring is of course old, and it looks like a high resistance connection at the fuse block. May just jumper it out and install a new separate fuse holder for it and see what happens. Attached is a picture of the BGUGLI.

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Our rules request a state listed in your location.

zout

Have to remember - he is from Wreckerman's territory !!!!!

But Alabama does need to be added to your location just like the Moderator and site requests it as a rule to help us.

ANYHOW - now that you have been spanked - put down the last Sat in April on your calendar and watch for the ZOUT cookout thread - your not that far away and excuses are not allowed. Come and have some fun (even Wreckerman seems to find fun here)

Another Ahab

Hey Alabama, welcome from up here in the grand old commonwealth of Virginia.

I hear your weather's kind of special lately; you taking the family sledding outside later today?!

Subdood

Hey Alabama, welcome from up here in the grand old commonwealth of Virginia.

I hear your weather's kind of special lately; you taking the family sledding outside later today?!
It has been something. I was driving home in the Big Ugly Tuesday when my blower stopped working. Of course I was stuck on I -20 trying to get home. Fortunately it wasn't that long and I was just a few miles from home. So this afternoon I finally had a chance (and the weather was warm enough) to work on it. My Son Dave who had the truck before hadn't put the heater core in correctly, so all the air bypassed it. Upon further investigation the blower fuse had melted again. Not blown, melted so I need to figure that out, but I'm pretty sure at least I can get some heat now, if I can get the blower running!

Last edited:

123mack

We have some members in our club here in Alabama who are good troubleshooters. You can meet us at one of these events (the next local is the AGCA show in Birmingham) or I cam PM you a phone number. One other thing, no one will give you a hard time for a modded vehicle, we're not that kind of a MV club. http://www.ddmvpa.org/?p=events

Another Ahab

We have some members in our club here in Alabama who are good troubleshooters. You can meet us at one of these events (the next local is the AGCA show in Birmingham) or I cam PM you a phone number. One other thing, no one will give you a hard time for a modded vehicle, we're not that kind of a MV club.
We even got a Hot Rod forum if you want to consider Krazy:

- not everybody goes wild about it (and that's ok too), but there is genius among us

Like check out JerseyHick's Deuce. If it's your thing: go for it.

hot rod.jpg

roth.jpg

Last edited:

Subdood

Very cool. My Truck is the way my son left it, and for now I am just going to do some basic stuff. Needs new doors, and a left front fende, some interior work. Thanks for the info.

dependable

Welcome to forum. A fact that does not show up very well in TM circuit diagram is that the heater blower circuit is tied in with alternator 1 circuit and light on cluster. Try checking output voltage on that alt, also for short in cluster harness.

Subdood

Thanks Dependable. I just finished messing with it, and the heater switch was burned up. I think I will see if I can find a female connector for the switch as the existing one is sketchy i appreciate the heads in on the TM drawings. I will annotate shortly. I make notes on mine as to when / what I replace, rewrite etc. I have cone the dog head starter relay mod and it is on there, also Blower motor, and blower motor resistors.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks