• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Member w/ New M1009

LeutDan

Hey guys,

I'm new to the M1009 and I just bought one Last Friday. Just wanted to say hello and ask a question about my rig.

First of all I drove 3 different ones at a local dealership and picked the best running one. It fires up really easily every time, all the lights work, it only has a bit of rust is in the bottom of the tailgate and my rear bumper is bent a little. Maybe I can get some pictures up on the forum soon to show ya what I got.

Now for my question... Dealer swore to me it has 7,000 original miles on it but that seems very strange to me and I think it probably has 107,000 on it. It does drive very easily and straight and all of the rubber seals around the truck look new. Normally I check the brake pedal for wear but there was no rubber, just a metal pedal and the gas pedal looks unworn. Any way for me to tell the exact mileage?

Sorry for the long post, but I am excited to have this thing and look forward to getting to know you all an my truck better.

Thanks!

19kilo

Welcome and congrats LeutDan.

For the most part, you can not trust the milage on any ex military vehicle unless you personally took care of it while you were in the Military and knew it's history. Basically you just give it a good going over like you would any used vehicle and as long as YOUR satisfied, thats all that matters. No way that I know of to check the EXACT milage since the odometer is most likely not correct.

The bottom of the tailgate is a problem child for most M1009's. Dirt and mud get down in the bottom and plug up the drain holes, and then the plugged up water and air do the rest (rust it out).

We are a picture interested group, so take some pictures of your new sweet ride and share them with us all. Here you'll find a great collection of knowledge in the minds of many. As well as many diverse opinions. :twisted:

If you don't mind me asking, what are the dealer prices?

Well just from the description, it sounds like you got a nice M1009!!
Welcome again!

USAWEAPON777

Welcome to the CUCV club!!! [thumbzup]

and yeah you can't really trust the odometor on miltitary vehicles. By the sounds of it though it seems in good shape. There fun trucks to drive and work on.

LeutDan

Dealer was asking $4,995 for blazers and $3,995 for trucks. I walked in w/ cash and they acted like they had never seen it before. I paid 3K for mine and think I could have got it for cheaper but I am ok with that. I will go take some pics right now!

This was a little car dealership that nomally does not get military vehicles. I have been looking for a m1009 for a while now only to find them in california and other places very far from me. This dealer had 9 and I went today to get my tag paid for and he only has 2 m1009 and a m1008 left. Had all 9 on friday!

Shop Rat Fab

Welcome, local small car dealer by me had 6 in the fall and sold them all is a week. Funny thing is I never see them on the road. Dealership and private purchase is easier than dealing with the waiting game through Gov. Liquidation. Anything you need just ask, someone on here will have the answer. :grd:

LeutDan

Here are some pictures. I have not washed it since I bought it so it is kinda dirty. I bedlined the interior and only have the door panels left to do if I can figure out how to get the window crank off. Only other thing I have done is tint the rear glass.

Shop Rat Fab

There is a tool you can buy at the auto parts store to push the clip off the back the clip is just a bent wire that goes on 90 degrees to the crank post. All I do is push in on door panel next to the crank and remove the clip with a wire pic that bent at a 90 or needle nose pliers. To install just put the clip back on the window crank and push it on.

justinwregier

Now for my question... Dealer swore to me it has 7,000 original miles on it but that seems very strange to me and I think it probably has 107,000 on it.

Thanks!
:shock:??? used car salesmen will say anything to make a sale 2cents

M1009s are rad! I hope you have a blast in your new CUCV. 7k or 107k, either way the truck can last and last if taken care of. I cannot trust a used car salesman but the photos of your truck look good for $3k and if the M1009 runs as you say thats a huge head start.[thumbzup]

brackecw

Hey guys I am new m1009 owner as well just picked mine up in MI probably the same ones Shop Rat is talking about, so far I love it 28k no rust and got it for 3k cash. Shop rat you will see mr driving mine around, I live in Livonia new to the area just moved from KY.

zyrtecx

LeutDan, where or what dealer did you get the M1009 from? Just interested because it looks like one of the M1009's that were at a dealer in North Wilkesboro, NC...

Marty G

on the original mileage i would look at the wear on the steering wheel and the shifter nob Thea should have a textured pattern at 7k miles be worn slick almost shinny at 107k

great find buy the way ill be looking for a m1009 for a dd soon myself

I happen to have a crank out of one of my 1009's at the moment, the pics should show you what you need to know, even though one pic is kinda cruddy!

Cheers
as I was shown by my friend who owns a custom shop, a shop rag works great for getting the clip off. I've had the crank on and off so many times now it only takes a second. It's the easiest part of the door, wait till you try to change locks or my favorite replacing the window runs and all the seals. It's a B*&^%

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks