• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New member with 1st HMMWV. Trying to get oriented.

CLP

Hello,
I just took receipt of a 1986 M998 in 2-man configuration. Looks like it was primarily used in the AL NG. Cranks right up, no visible leaks, nothing missing other than the actual vinyl top for the cargo portion. The vinyl top for the cab is sun beaten and the stitching has come loose in many parts. It's going to be garage kept which will prevent further damage to the top, but I'd like to find a replacement for the cab and cargo if possible. To look at it, the thought that goes through my mind is that it could be repaired/resewn. There aren't any tears, just the threading has deteriorated. The auction site stated the left mirror was damaged but that was incorrect and just swung in. The headlights need to be sourced and I'm debating between incandescents or the more expensive LEDs. I've downloaded a bunch of TMs and plan to give it a more thorough going over PMCS-wise in the next few weeks. Any advice/tips would be appreciated, especially with regards to things to look out for, particular parts to have on hand which require frequent replacing, etc. Incidentally, I used to be my COs driver and drove a 4 man soft top in the Army 23 yr ago but don't recall having to do much in the way of maintenance- Just had to keep it topped off, backed into the parking space, and cleaner than any other vehicle in garrison. Guys at the motor pool did all the heavy work.

Attachments

seca954

How much did it cost you? I'm leaning toward a two man as opposed to the four man. It's comforting to know you drove one in the military and still bought one.

chickenbutt

As for as the canvas, there is a recent thread from a place that still makes them
here http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...Soft-Top-Cargo-Cover-Manuf-Interchangeability
here is a link to the site http://www.bretonindustries.com/
You may get lucky and find a cheaper deal. Brenton Industries does look a little pricey.
For the headlights, I found replacement headlights at Wolfer for $40 each and new trims & screws at Kascar for around $17 each. They are brighter that my 2015 Jeep and a whole lot cheaper than the LED's!

And of course go through the sticky at the top of the HMMWV forum Sticky: LEO/FD HMMWV Check List & Part Numbers

Looks like a nice ride, good luck with her!

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am in New Orleans and have a new 2 man camo top. I also have a used tan cargo top in great condition. Pm if interested.

Welcome to the club!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks