• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

oldwildheart

Howdy:

I do not have a M1009 but think I want one. What I am looking for here is guidance on where to look and what to look for.

What research I have done says the price range is $3000 to $6500. Conditions vary.

I am not a mechanic but more a builder, as in home builder/handyman, so my mechanical ability is limited. I can do simple to moderate stuff. Removing and replacing components is definitely in my ability.

Since I just joined I will be nosing around to pick up tips and insight.

Any comments/suggestions?

I'm in the southwest.

Thanks ahead of time

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the Green Iron Laughing Academy!!! :mrgreen::jumpin::cookoo: You have been bitten by the OD Bug and will soon feel the full effects of OD Fever!!

The first thing I recommend you do before even considering cracking open your wallet is research. The CUCV Forum is here: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/forumdisplay.php?47-CUCV

Advice:
Read every Sticky. Download the TM's and study them. Read every thread, and take notes of what the most common issues these trucks have. Find a local military vehicle club and get to know people that own them. Blast them with questions. Call your local auto parts houses and make sure you can get parts for a 1984 K5 Blazer with a 6.2L diesel. Trust me, you WILL be on a first name basis with the guys/gals at the counter! (Be nice to them, and they will go the extra mile to get that part you need to get your truck back on the road.) Parts are fairly easy to come by. Amazon even carries a lot of parts for this truck. Before you post a new thread about a question you have, use the search function. Your question may have been answered before. There are archives of old threads on the server that the search engine crawls through.

Personal experience:
I LOVE my M1009. I've owned it for 7.5 years. In my opinion, it is one of the most practical MV's you can own. I get about 20 MPG. I regularly drive it to work, take it on long trips to parades and static displays. It holds a constant 75 MPH speed without complaint. I use it to run to Home Despot, the pool supply stores, etc. I transport my mountain bike in the back. It is my work & play truck. Best of all, my mechanic will fix just about anything that I don't feel like messing with!

DO NOT BUY THE FIRST TRUCK YOU LAY YOUR EYES ON! Make sure you are completely comfortable with the purchase of a 30+ year old diesel truck that will need some TLC. Take your time to find the right one for you. I know you have the itch, but refuse to scratch it until you are more comfortable with the journey you are about to embark upon.

T. Highway

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the OD addiction, take a deep breath, sit down and read the TMs. The electrical system on CUCV trucks are different than CIVY trucks, so if you are not comfortable with doing your own electrical work, you may want to seek a local shop or fellow SS member to help you out. Be careful to look over the truck you are looking to buy carefully.

Bert

FloridaAKM

Welcome from Sunny Florida, good luck with what you decide to purchase. The info from previous posters is very good to get you pointed in the right direction!

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
welcome from louisisana.. your hook for good.. more green will come your way.. that is written in the life tablet.. the trucks are not hard to learn and with the help and information you can get here makes it easier

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks