• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2

I would just like to say hello to all the forum members. I am a 36 year old guy from Oxfordshire, ENGLAND. I was a British Army Soldier for eight years and left in 2001. I am now a SEMI Truck driver. I own 2 ex military Land Rovers, an ex Army (Northern Ireland) series 3 109" GS Soft Top and an ex RAF Defender (Gulf War 1 veteran) 110 TUM FFR 12/24v Hard Top.

I have owned ex Military Vehicles for 17 years. I go to most of the shows throughout the summer in the UK. I am fairly well known in the show scene, as I have been doing it for 17 years now.

I am looking for an M35A2. This truck is my goal, and I have been after one ever since I was a kid. There are only about 70 in the whole of the UK, so they come up for sale very rarely. There is a dealer in Holland called Reomie. They have plenty of trucks for sale, so I might have to import one from there. I have come close to buying one on a few different occasions, but there has always been a problem.

You will find me more or less in this section all the time, as the 2.5 and 5 ton trucks are my main interest.

So once again, hello, and I look forward to speaking to you all in the future.

Cheers

Andy :beer:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Andy, welcome aboard Sir, we're glad to have you here on this site. The UK certainly has some great MV events. I'm sure you're already aware of it but the M621 trucks from Norway are great trucks and are modified M35A2 trucks. All came with cab heaters, super single tires, and air lock differentials in all 3 positions. I know they are for sale in Norway as well. Of course I realize that they would probably shipped across the North Sea but maybe a consideration. Again, welcome!

Armada

A hearty welcome to you Andy. :beer:
We would have the opposite problem here as the vehicles you speak of are few and far between on this side of the pond. Feel free to post pictures of your collection... hint, hint. :)

M35A2

Hey thanks for making me feel welcome guys.

I will have to check out the Norway option. The thing is, I think the trucks are in better condition coming from Germany, as they tend to be stored for years and not used much.

You guys certainly have a fantastic collection of vehicles. I would kill for Armada's M109A3.

Here are some pictures of my Defender I took this afternoon. I've only got one of my Series 3 109" GS.

Please let me know how many Defenders you know off that are ex-Military in the States?

I will post some more pictures in another post.

Cheers

Andy :beer:

Attachments

Welcome aboard M35A2!
Now you got us drooling about your iron. Very nice Defender.

There was a bloke over in your neck of the woods that "bobbed" a Deuce. He went by the handle "hummin2london". Had some great mods he did to his Deuce and some driving adventures.

That thread is here:http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=32189&highlight=#32189

He seemed like a very agreeable sort of chap but he has not been here as of late. Perhaps you could give him a ring and get together. If you do speak to him, tell him we miss his presence.

There is the slight chance that I may go to London to do a job this summer. If I do I hope to look up some "across the pond" members.
Again, welcome.
Cheers from a "Yank". :beer:

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M35A2,
I've got a buddy in Stuttgart. I'll talk to him. Maybe he can help. Maybe not, but I'll ask.

WELCOME to our little family. GREAT Defenders! I've always liked the 110 myself. Though that hardtop sure is SWEET.

Again, welcome.

jim

PS - maybe we could get an across the channel swap going. I know my buddy likes Defenders. They are called 'WOLF' versions with a circular roof opening? Don't know much else. But maybe if you scratched his back....

M35A2

Cheers Jim,

Thanks for your kind comments about my trucks. I'm selling the series 3. It's been dry stored for a few years now and I want to get rid of it. The REO is my priority at the moment.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For your avatar. Go up to the top right of the page under 'Profile'. Click that. Down at the bottom you can upload your avatar.

Way simple.

Now, about that 3. What's it worth? Not that I can afford it, but hey, I NEVER thought I could afford the deuce in my driveway. So I gotta ask.

jim

M35A2

It needs some work doing to it, but the engine is as sweet as a nut. In fact you can't hear it running. It has a full new clutch, new clutch master and slave cylinders, great running gear and a rust free chassis. I'm asking for offers, but I reckon it's worth about £1000 ($1,747.02 at todays rate).

I've had it since 1994 and was going to use it as a rebuild project. But if I can get my hands on a REO, then I will be spending all my time on that.

PS Cheers for the advise on the avatar. As you can see-uploaded.

M35A2

wallew said:
M35A2,
I've got a buddy in Stuttgart. I'll talk to him. Maybe he can help. Maybe not, but I'll ask.

WELCOME to our little family. GREAT Defenders! I've always liked the 110 myself. Though that hardtop sure is SWEET.

Again, welcome.

jim

PS - maybe we could get an across the channel swap going. I know my buddy likes Defenders. They are called 'WOLF' versions with a circular roof opening? Don't know much else. But maybe if you scratched his back....

The WOLF is the new Defender XD. I say it's new, but it's getting on a bit now. I know these Land Rovers very well. I was in the Army for 8 years and they were starting to come in about 1995-96. I've driven hundreds of them. They are a very good truck. They have the Land Rover 300TDI Turbo Diesel engine fitted. They are VERY fast. I once drove a Wolf 110" for 5 hours doing 90MPH all the way. She cruised at that speed very well.

Andy,

That's a neat trick putting the steering wheel on the right side (read wrong side) of the cab! :)

I notice a bolt on the side of the windscreen pillar next to the dashcover. Is the top removable?

Thank you for the pictures. We don't get to see many of those. Good price for the 3 series. Wish it was here and in my garage.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M35A2,
I spoke to my friend in Stuttgart. After a long talk, basically ALL European and MOST US deuces that were still available for 'active duty' are now over in the sand box and WILL NOT return.

When we leave the sandbox for good, expect part of our 'good will' to the region to be the donation of all military vehicles that the US military feels is no longer 'serviceable' (read out of date). That includes the deuce.

So I suggest that you get in touch with the Norway guy. Cause there are NO MORE deuces to be had on the continent. My guy said he has NOT seen one anywhere in Europe on active duty. They are all over 'dere'.

Hope that helps.

Oh, any idea when the 'wolfs' will be 'released' from duty. My buddy said whilst over in the sand pile, they had several 4 banger LRD's and they were absolutely gutless when the going got 'heavy'. He said on the straight and flat they were OK. But get up some silly goat trail and they were apt to stutter or stall. Which is a really bad thing when you are out on patrol.

He had NOTHING BUT PRAISE for the 300 TDI in the newer ones though. Said they kicked @ss.

jim

red devils dude

M35A2
This is a question I've always wanted to ask, In english car what order from left to right are the pedals in?
ie what is the far left pedal the clutch or throttle?

M35A2

red devils dude said:
M35A2
This is a question I've always wanted to ask, In english car what order from left to right are the pedals in?
ie what is the far left pedal the clutch or throttle?

Hi Red devils dude.

The layout of a right hand drive car is:

Left pedal = Clutch
Middle Pedal = Brake
Right Pedal = Throttle

I have a "normal" truck that is automatic. That's just got two pedals. Left is brake and right is throttle.

This is my "normal" truck. I imported her from Japan in August last year.

Attachments

Desert Rat

M35A2,

I'm just :drool: ing over the 'Rover!!!!! What a beautiful truck!!!!! I see you might be interested in selling it (for real?!?!?!?!?). I need to do some homework then! I'm getting ready to sell the '98 Explorer we have for an MV. That jewel would be an awesome one to have in the stables!!!! PM me and let me know how serious you are.

I can get ahold of a running REO easy enough. Even swap?

M35A2

Polverone said:
Andy,

That's a neat trick putting the steering wheel on the right side (read wrong side) of the cab! :)

I notice a bolt on the side of the windscreen pillar next to the dashcover. Is the top removable?

Thank you for the pictures. We don't get to see many of those. Good price for the 3 series. Wish it was here and in my garage.

Hi Gary.

In answer to your question. The bolt you can see by the windscreen pillar is for the "removable" windscreen. The Hard Top is indeed removable and can be interchanged for a soft top. If the truck is being transported by air and needs to be stripped for this purpose, then the Hard Top can be removed. If you slacken the nuts on the bolts, then the windscreen can be folded flat onto the spare wheel on the bonnet (hood). If you look at the outside on the pillar, you can see where the windscreen is fixed to the bulkhead, and you will see also how it would move in this bracket.

With reguards the steering wheel on the Right hand side. Well, you know the right side is always the right side!!! He,he :lol:

M35A2

wallew said:
M35A2,
I spoke to my friend in Stuttgart. After a long talk, basically ALL European and MOST US deuces that were still available for 'active duty' are now over in the sand box and WILL NOT return.

When we leave the sandbox for good, expect part of our 'good will' to the region to be the donation of all military vehicles that the US military feels is no longer 'serviceable' (read out of date). That includes the deuce.

So I suggest that you get in touch with the Norway guy. Cause there are NO MORE deuces to be had on the continent. My guy said he has NOT seen one anywhere in Europe on active duty. They are all over 'dere'.

Hope that helps.

Oh, any idea when the 'wolfs' will be 'released' from duty. My buddy said whilst over in the sand pile, they had several 4 banger LRD's and they were absolutely gutless when the going got 'heavy'. He said on the straight and flat they were OK. But get up some silly goat trail and they were apt to stutter or stall. Which is a really bad thing when you are out on patrol.

He had NOTHING BUT PRAISE for the 300 TDI in the newer ones though. Said they kicked @ss.

jim

Hi Jim.

Thanks for your message. Yes, the same has happened to all the UK trucks. In fact, the Army was selling off all the Bedford MK and MJ 4X4 4 ton trucks. But when Gulf 2 started, they re-bought all the trucks they had sold to dealers and put them into a service extension program, where all the trucks were sent to ABRO (Army Base Repair Organisation) and reconditioned.

The "WOLF's" are very rare in civillian hands, even over here. The only ones I know of that have been released (and that's only a handfull) have been written off in bad accidents in Bosnia and sold as scrap. Then the new owners have spent thousands on new parts getting them on the road again. In fact one of my mates owns one. They are going for muchos money about £12,000 ($21,034). They are not as dear as the Hummer though. An ex Military Hummer in the UK will set you back about £25,000 ($43,822).

The old Defenders are gutless, and mine is one of them. But like you say, the Defender 300TDI are wicked. They are a seriously fast vehicle, and are unstoppable off road.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks