• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

surlyanddogmatic

I just picked up a 1986 1031 this week.

This site has been a tremendous help already. Thanks!

Sounds like I have "death wobble" so I'll follow the advice I've picked up so far.

Also Gen 2 light is coming on and 4WD light isn't on eventhough 4wd is engaged in working.

The generator works and so does the air compressor.

Where is the best place to pick up the 50 amp plug so that I can attach generator to my house?

burbn10

When is the Gen 2 light coming on? Is it just at startup for a short time or is it staying on? It is normal for the Gen 2 light to come on for a short time until the self-exciter on the 12v alternator kicks on. Now if it is staying on, then you have other problems. If it is staying on, I would take a multi-meter, rev up the engine a little above idle and check the output on the driver's side alternator. Should be between 12.6 and 15v. Also check that your ground wires are attached. If you are getting good voltage out of it and the light is staying on, then I would take it in to be tested. When I got my M1008 it was doing that and it ended up being a bad diode in the rectifier bridge.

My M1008 has the same exact thing with the 4wd light. There is a switch located in the floor shifter for the transfer case. Mine didn't work for probably 2 weeks when I got the truck and then suddenly started flickering and working sometimes. I traced it back to the switch being bad. I haven't changed mine yet, but I know that is what it is.

Hope this helps! Best of luck to you!

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Graybar Electric will have the plugs you are looking for to hook up a generator.

They carry just about everything you could ever want for electrical needs.

And welcome to the site.

sw

surlyanddogmatic

burbn10--thanks for the input. The Gen 2 light does goes off after starting. But then it "fades" on and off as I drive. I'll hook up the meter and see what I'm getting. Might be as simple as a loose belt. I'll check out the switch on the 4WD light. I know it's not needed, but it might as well work.

swbradley1--I'll check Graybar out for the plug. My problem will be that 3 phase power coming off that plug and I want to hook it up to my single phase plug on the house for backup power. I just have to figure out what the best solution is to make sure I don't fry anything.

Yes-I know I need to get pictures up. It's been too cold or too wet. As soon as I get a pretty day I'll get to it.

burbn10

burbn10--thanks for the input. The Gen 2 light does goes off after starting. But then it "fades" on and off as I drive. I'll hook up the meter and see what I'm getting. Might be as simple as a loose belt. I'll check out the switch on the 4WD light. I know it's not needed, but it might as well work.

swbradley1--I'll check Graybar out for the plug. My problem will be that 3 phase power coming off that plug and I want to hook it up to my single phase plug on the house for backup power. I just have to figure out what the best solution is to make sure I don't fry anything.

Yes-I know I need to get pictures up. It's been too cold or too wet. As soon as I get a pretty day I'll get to it.
You are probably going to need a transformer to step down the power to 208v like your house uses. If it is a 480v 3-phase only generator, the closest you can get by direct hookup is 277 volt, which will fry everything electronic in your house. I know my 50kw tow behind civilian generator has a transfer switch on it to switch from 3-phase to single-phase output. I switch it to 208v Single-Phase and then tune it in with the fine adjustment knob. Works great for the house. But if you don't have that option, you will need a transformer.

Last edited:

Ken_86gt

Usually the generators are capable of 120/208, so a transformer is not needed. Some generators can be configured for 120/240 single phase, I don't know if yours can. Tell us what generator you have so we can better help.

lavarok

"IF" I had to use the M1031 PTO driven generator for a power outage at home, I would use the 208vac single phase outlet and the six 110vac outlets already on the panel. A few extension cords and I wouldn't have to worry about the 3phase to 1phase at all. I would just leave the 3phase outlet unconnected and the breaker off.

surlyanddogmatic

The generator is a Lima MAC self regulated dripproof synchronous alternator.

I know it will run both 120 and 208 based on the plugs on the panel.

I hadn't thought of using the 15 amp plug--I could try that. But I probably have too much on that sub panel and wouldn't be able to power them all up. But in a pinch certainly could do it.

I had seen that wiki but it's been 20 years since my last electrical engineering course. It's all doable, just have to find the right way to get it done.

zout

better late than never - welcome to the site - glad to have you here & you are amoungst the sickest individuals in the world that love MV"S
:deadhorse:

lavarok

Lima Manual Attached ( right click and save-as below - its a pdf )

I am fairly certain the unit is wired as shown in diagram C on page 10.

In theory you can tap into any two phases for single phase power.
Tpub article here: Summary

Rewiring the alternator as shown in diagrams B or G may be another alternative. However, you would loose the 3 phase needed for the on board air compressor motor and you would also need to make sure the control panel and regulator will work with any rewire scheme.

You could always change the 3 phase motor on the compressor to a single phase motor.
However, it might just be easier to leave it as is and get yourself a MEP-003 for those pesky power outages.

Oh yea...post some pics!

Attachments

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Welcome to another Georgia member.

Most likely your alternator is in the process of failing. It's always good to have a spare from a parts truck. Get it rebuilt and on the shelf for when it happens or go ahead and swap them out now and have the failing one rebuilt. That might save a battery.

Also, there is at least one thread on here about generators powering houses. I recall you have to put in a switch that prevents the power from feeding back up the line. If you don't, you could shock and kill someone working on the line.