• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Members Truck (m37) and some general questions

Greensteel37

There isn't a "Civil Defense" per say any longer. One of the FD in Helena had some military equipment they got from Civil Defense. When they tried to return it to Uncle Sam, they were told to dispose of it however they wished. Many people get trucks this way. My new M37 was a fire truck after it's service with the USMC. Then it wound up in a junk yard and them my yard!!!

We are having a show in Kennesaw Georgia on the 18th of this month if you are interested. Our big local show is November 5th and 6th at Tannehill State park.

pwrwagonfire

There isn't a "Civil Defense" per say any longer. One of the FD in Helena had some military equipment they got from Civil Defense. When they tried to return it to Uncle Sam, they were told to dispose of it however they wished. Many people get trucks this way. My new M37 was a fire truck after it's service with the USMC. Then it wound up in a junk yard and them my yard!!!

We are having a show in Kennesaw Georgia on the 18th of this month if you are interested. Our big local show is November 5th and 6th at Tannehill State park.
Yup thats correct! No worries about what the tag says...those trucks are so long off the books, and due to the agency not existing anymore as you say that it isn't a big deal

ke6rwj

creating havoc one broken bolt at a time...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, the later trucks had them in the tank. The bed has a panel that is removable for access to it. A common service item? The manual pretty much says the filter is inspected every 1000 miles (Crew C interval), which wasn't very often for a tactical vehicle, or when troubleshooting fuel problems.

I just remember having to replace filters all the time while I was in ft Irwin, California. Was kind of a pain.

Oldfart

You didn't necessarily make a mistake here!

Before the federal excess property program for fire departments/USFS; the distribution of surplus government property was administered by the Civil Defense. Vehicles were given to fire departments, police departments, and local civil defense organizations for emergency use. Many of the vehicles have these yellow stickers on the door, which says "This vehicle was purchased in part with federal funds for civil defense use. Removal or alteration of this identification is prohibited."

Many older pieces of equipment distributed around from the mid to late sixties have this ID tag on them still.

And the prohibition ended with the disposal of the vehicle out of governmental use to civilian use. As old as I am, I was priviliged to drive a few new Civil Defense units back in the late 50's. Many of these had a unique paint job which consisted of white with an orange reflecive stripe. (http://www.mvcconline.org/catagory3/images/Les Stern/1962 m37b1.JPG)

Mike_L

Wow, that's kind of sporty looking. I know everyone restores their trucks back to military scheme but a CD truck might be an interesting project some day.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks