• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New memeber and a pic of my M880

Ross

Hi folks. I've looked around for a M880 forum for some time, and this seems to be the place.

I have a former NCNG '76 M880. Apparently it went to the "Americorps" project after it's Guard service and then ended up in some guys field in NC. A guy here in the boonies in VA bought it, and it sat there in a pretty bad state. I bought it from him and have poured way too much money into it, but it's coming along. My intent is not to fully restore the truck, but just have a neat truck with character.

It's been repainted in the summer colors, as it's green around here, though I need to redo it again soon.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks great and welcome aboard Ross! I see its and early 76 model by the grill. The old M880 series is a great line of vehicles. I previously had an M887 and am patiently waiting on a particular M884 to come up for auction so that I can add it to my motorpool. Have you added PS yet?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Welcome! M880's rule. Mangus580 is probably their biggest cheerleader, make sure to talk to him about '880's whenever you can.

Ross

I haven't added PS yet, because I'm trying to make sure I really know what parts to get and where to get them first.

It has alot of rust, and the bed's somewhat tore up. There's no tailgate. When I got the truck the rear brake drum on the left side had actually gound itself off. Part of the rear brake parts had worn on the drum itself as the previous owner drove it and it turned the outside of the drim clean off, just as if it was on a lathe. So needless to say new drums, rotors, brake lines, pads, and all the rear brake parts have been replaced. Since I had all that apart, I did the berings as well.

It had also been hacked up quite a bit in the electricals. I replaced the cab, engine, ignition and headlight wiring harnesses and that cured most of it's problems. About the only electircal thing it needs now is a new connector block that goes on the firewall. The one that's on there has signs of melting and it doesn't always get good connections from one side of the firewall to the other.

New tires were the last major expenditure. I have a few holes to patch in the floor. They had been patched before with some kind of fiberglass that is now coming apart.

The dash pad is from a different truck, so I need to pick up the correct one and a bezel as well, since the instrument panel was apart. I have all that back together and working, except the fuel gauge. I actually haven't even looked at what's wrong with it yet.

The tranny pan was cracked and leaking, so I've replaced that with a MOPAR performance one off the 4spd auto, which is deeper and comes with an extension for the filter and pick-up. One of the holes is stripped, so it seeps a little still, but with the cracked pan it wasn't holding any fluid. Other than that, mechanically it's in great shape.

If anyone knows what I really need to put PS in it, let me know. I've done a PS installation on my first car (1965 Barracuda), which had 'armstrong' steering, so I'm pretty sure I could do it myself if I can get the parts. It sure would make parking lots much easier.

N1265

http://powerwagonadvertiser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3554

the above is a link to a forum that I used when I converted my power steering.... It was all the information you need about your conversion, some of the stuff is off topic but, but well worth reading BEFORE you go to the junk yard. ( there are two typs of gear boxes out there for these trucks) but everything else you can get from any 318 cid. truck

it is good to see you have a '76 most of the trucks that are left are '77s

My truck also came from a NCANG unit and I also got it from a guy in VA. however mine was in great shape whan I started my restoration project. you can see pleanty of picks of it in our photo gallery.

good luck with your project, and dont worry about the money.

Nick

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Welcome Ross. Once you get the ol' M880 roadworthy, drive on down to Franklin and we'll take it and the Mog for a little spin in the country! If you need any help with projects, give me a yell. When I have a free weekend I am always glad to turn a wrench for a fellow SS member.

Chris

McGuyver

Welcome to the forum Ross. I like your M880, especially the original paint. Looks good. As far as the power steering swap goes, I did it myself a few years ago. You can take the steering gear box and pump off of any 1/2 ton (W100) or 3/4 ton (W200) forur wheel drive Dodge truck from the years 1972(?) up to and including 1978. The next year Dodge changed the gear box orientation, and changed the steering shaft design. This is a very easy swap (provided you can get the ball joinit popped loose from the drag link) I wouldn't hesitate a moment to forge ahead with the change. This is a straigt bolt on. You'll be glad you did it.

ida34

Ross,
I have a 75 w200 with power steering that I am parting out. If you are interested I can probably part with all the parts you need. I would suggest buying new hoses though. If you are interested I will check on getting the parts removed. I think $50 plus shipping for the parts to include the mounting brackets sounds good. Let me know if you are interested.

Chuck

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chuck, if he doesn't take them, I will. I'm bound and determined to add another M880 to my motorpool. No AO is complete without the M880.

Ross

Chuck, I'll take the parts and thank you very much. I'll get new hoses made here locally easy enough. PS is going to make a huge difference in driving the beast! I'll IM you my info, etc.

Thanks again, this will save time looking around and certainly save my arms in the parking lots.

McGuyver

Like id34 said, be sure and get the brackets for mounting the pump to the block. The pedestal that hold the gear box can be reused, but it still may be nice to get that one too.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks