• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

"New" MEP-002A Purchase

jacobsk

jacobsk-

I did indeed get one of the units from Sparta. Boy i hope you're right about the machines, and I hope the low hours are indeed low hours and not non-functioning meters. By the look of them and the packaging/extras in the trailer I am hopeful that they are in fact sub 20 hour units.
Congrats, I have sneaking suspicion that they were leftovers (trailered) from the last lot of 17 MEP-002a's which sold from Sparta back on Nov 17th. Many from that lot were freshly serviced with new filters, batteries, and all the goodies in 2013, and appear to have been prepped for long term storage.

I think you're in for a treat, especially if you got the trailer with the extended tow chains.

Chrispyny

Congrats, I have sneaking suspicion that they were leftovers (trailered) from the last lot of 17 MEP-002a's which sold from Sparta back on Nov 17th. Many from that lot were freshly serviced with new filters, batteries, and all the goodies in 2013, and appear to have been prepped for long term storage.

I think you're in for a treat, especially if you got the trailer with the extended tow chains.
Those were virgin like. I almost bid on 4-5 of them. They all went for a VERY cheap price. I was going to drive out the 12 hours and pick them up on my landscape trailer. At some point i decided it was bad timing financially. Im financially highly conservative but in this case i very much wish i had done it. I could have easily quadrupled my money in no time. Congrats op!!!

Forester

You'd have to be a scantly clad, well proportioned, blonde to tease me anymore right now....

The chains looked "long" to me in the pics of the trailer. My watchlist disappeared so I cant post pics of them...until Wednesday that is...

Last edited:

jacobsk

You'd have to be a scantly clad, well proportioned, blonde to tease me anymore right now....

The chains looked "long" to me in the pics of the trailer. My watchlist disappeared so I cant post pics of them...until Wednesday that is...
Am I allowed to post links to the auctions now that they've ended?

Edit to add: if you know your lot number or if you had the one with ripped canopy on the trailer I can post your pictures for you :)

Last edited:

Forester

Am I allowed to post links to the auctions now that they've ended?

Edit to add: if you know your lot number or if you had the one with ripped canopy on the trailer I can post your pictures for you :)[/QUOTE

I don't recall a ripped canopy.... My lot number is/was 7402.
Ah you planned on looking at closed lots... I checked it out... The tow chains don't look as long as those in lot 7403, which ironically is the one that I posted pics from. What do the long tow chains signify anyway??

jacobsk

When I picked my PU-751/M from Sparta the M116A2 Trailer chains were just a few links too short to hook to my vehicle receiver. You'll want to have something to fill in the gap if you plan to pull the trailer home.

It looks like the chains on 7403 had been lengthened so that they'd be easier to hook up to a truck.

If you haven't picked up a set of el-cheapo magnetic trailer lights from harbor freight to plop on the unit for road legal towing I'd recommend you grab some from Harbor freight. While you're there you can grab a 6 foot length of el-cheapo chain for like $8 to get you where you need to be.

Forester

When I picked my PU-751/M from Sparta the M116A2 Trailer chains were just a few links too short to hook to my vehicle receiver. You'll want to have something to fill in the gap if you plan to pull the trailer home.

It looks like the chains on 7403 had been lengthened so that they'd be easier to hook up to a truck.

If you haven't picked up a set of el-cheapo magnetic trailer lights from harbor freight to plop on the unit for road legal towing I'd recommend you grab some from Harbor freight. While you're there you can grab a 6 foot length of el-cheapo chain for like $8 to get you where you need to be.
I thought of and picked up a set of magnetic lights, but until your posts didn't consider the chains. I'll add a length to the contingencies kit I plan on taking with me.

By the way. How did you end up hooking up the magnetic lights? On the top of the trailer deck or on the bottom of the trailer deck?

How's the generator you picked up??

jacobsk

I've had pretty good luck with both of my 002a's from Sparta. The first was bought for $1060 as a PU-751/M without a tarp but had most of the other goodies, ground rods, hammer, ect. It had 46 hours and had been recently serviced with the exception of batteries. It had definitely sat outside (trailer) and the fuel tank needed patching once I cleaned it out, but the fuel system was clean other than that tank, clean as in the filters were new without residual fuel. I simply replaced the filters, cleaned/patched a pinhole in the tank,and it started right up.

My second unit without trailer for $340 was pristine, much better than I expected. It had 90 hours and also had been serviced within the past year, it even included serviceable batteries. This second unit had a perfect fuel tank and again all of the fuel filters had no fuel on them, it had a tag (like yours) on the start knob which warned against starting as the oil had been drained. The residual engine oil was clean and again it started immediately without any problems.

I wonder what's included with your unit? it appears you have an auxiliary hose laying in there and a few other goodies too:

Snap574.jpg

Forester

I've had pretty good luck with both of my 002a's from Sparta. The first was bought for $1060 as a PU-751/M without a tarp but had most of the other goodies, ground rods, hammer, ect. It had 46 hours and had been recently serviced with the exception of batteries. It had definitely sat outside (trailer) and the fuel tank needed patching once I cleaned it out, but the fuel system was clean other than that tank, clean as in the filters were new without residual fuel. I simply replaced the filters, cleaned/patched a pinhole in the tank,and it started right up.

My second unit without trailer for $340 was pristine, much better than I expected. It had 90 hours and also had been serviced within the past year, it even included serviceable batteries. This second unit had a perfect fuel tank and again all of the fuel filters had no fuel on them, it had a tag (like yours) on the start knob which warned against starting as the oil had been drained. The residual engine oil was clean and again it started immediately without any problems.

I wonder what's included with your unit? it appears you have an auxiliary hose laying in there and a few other goodies too:

View attachment 541384
You're way ahead of me already. Bought two functioning units for less than I paid for one!! Well...one born every minute.

reset2

Thanks all for the tank repair advise. Once I get some of my other projects completed I will get back on that mep. Currently its been too cold to work in my shop so I have been doing other things.

About the Sparta sale. Was that thru GL or Iron planet? What was the sale number. Just like to compare what things go for around here.

Forester

Thanks all for the tank repair advise. Once I get some of my other projects completed I will get back on that mep. Currently its been too cold to work in my shop so I have been doing other things.

About the Sparta sale. Was that thru GL or Iron planet? What was the sale number. Just like to compare what things go for around here.
It was a GL auction. Event ID was 13468 here's a link:

http://www.govliquidation.com/pastbidresults?eventId=13468

Lots 7400-7403

jacobsk

Not as cheap as that lot of 18 out of Ft Mead in January, the average price was a mere $499! :shock:

Edit: darn iPhone typing

Ratch

I previewed those ft. Meade units. None were in good shape, every fuel tank was significantly rusty but one. I think all had various rust issues all over. Still good prices, but I didn't even go back to look again when I was outbid.

Forester

It's Tuesday! We need pictures!

Hope ps the recovery went well.

Well I went down yesterday and BARELY picked up my unit....

How do I start this story...hmm. Thought to keep in the back of your mind as you read the real story. Have you even received phone calls from collection agencies who are looking for someone with a name similar to yours? I have. In fact I used to get hounded; for years.

So after the six hour drive I pull up to the guard shack at the base and hand over my ID. Officer is gone for ten minutes comes back out and says. "You've been a bad boy, my supervisor is trying to determine if we are going to let you in. Pull ahead and we will be with you in a minute." I chuckle, thinking he is pulling my leg, and pull ahead. Another ten fifteen minutes go by and he returns. "You have numerous felony drug convictions and we can not let you onto base". Err what? So ensues the hour long back and fourth of me trying to prove that I am the person with zero felony convictions. Lets just say once they did let me through I hooked up that generator as fast as I could and got out of Dodge!! Never even peeked inside to see if I was hauling a generator or a load of bricks.

I then made the mistake of calling and telling the wife about the ordeal. She now fully expects either the DEA or some Colombian cartel to come smashing through our front door. Which after experiencing what I went through is not entirely out of the question(no i will not be sharing that thought with the wife). In addition to collection agencies we used to get a call from some guy, usually drunk, looking for "me" and my wife Brenda - well my wife's name is not Brenda. And i never herd of the guy who was calling. So no more information to the wife(need to know basis), but lets just say that security at my place just went up a few notches.

I am somewhat confused as to what process/system they use to run identification. I purposefully got the Michigan "enhanced" drivers license so that I can go between the US and Canada without a passport - which I do a few times a year. Why they couldn't tell me from the other me out there has me a bit concerned. What if that guy had a warrant out for him. Cuffed and stuffed I'd imagine. I understand that it is far better for them to be safe rather than sorry - but why me:(. I would highly recommend to those out there who have to travel a long distance to pick up their goods to take extra forms of ID.

So the generator and i made the trip home, snowing sideways the whole time. It was almost 10 PM when I got there. I peeked inside and found that there was a generator, buried in snow from the trip. Tag on it read that the filters had been drained, but otherwise everything looked intact, freshly painted.

Not sure when i will be getting at it, but will certainly post some pics when I do. Likely this weekend.

Signed - Forester with no felony drug convictions, never was an electrician, never lived in Green Bay, I don't owe you money, my wife is not Brenda, those are not the last four of my social, nervous as ****...

dangier

Wow! What a trip! Glad you got home ok. Glad that you actually got home at all.... What a mess that would have been if they decided not to take a chance and "cuff you and stuff you".

Now the fun begins. I hope you are able to get it going without too many issues with the unit.
David

Chainbreaker

Wow what a recovery story! That had to be pretty unsettling at the time, you dot the i's and cross your t's beforehand and something like this pops up! At least you knew who you were!!! You may have already thought of this but this guy may also be harming your credit. Could be a case of identity theft as well. Might want to pull your credit report and look for any signs of fraudulent activity. You also might want to consider putting a freeze on your credit with the credit bureaus. I just received a letter from the IRS that two other people filed an income tax return against my SSN last year besides myself. Boy were they in for a surprise as I owed last year. Guess those two fraudsters get to help pay!��

Anyway sounds like all's well that ends well despite the stress you probably endured at the time. Now the fun begins getting to know your MEP-002a!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks