• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Mep-002a with problems

trooper632

Hey all, New mep-002a read what I could on it before trying to start it, new oil/fuel filters reconditioned batteries installed do all the priming both pumps work getting fuel to the IP but nothing out of the injector lines. Two questions. #1 when it cranks but wont start the issue there is, when I let off the start switch it still keeps cranking. I had to remove the positive battery cable to stop it. I hit the starter a couple of times with a mallet and tried it three more time that way but the starter sticks on every time. Is the solenoid bad/starter bad or something else I might be missing. and #2 the fuel issue at the IP, I have read several posts about that one but hope some one could chime in before I have to search again the best way to attack that one. The oil pressure does start to build while cranking also, thanks

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I was going to ask that too. Sounds like the solenoid might be sticking. I'd pull the starter and go through it, can't hurt.

trooper632

Sorry, No once the cable was pulled it died, put the cable back on it didn't try to start until I used the starter switch and then would stick again until the cable was removed

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Sounds like the solenoid is sticking. There are new ones on evilbay for $40, but I would pull it and see what it looks like inside.

Keith_J

When cranking, does the fuel shut off solenoid retract? If not, there is a bypass circuit on the start position of the master switch that could be bad.

If the solenoid retracts on cranking, does the fuel control lever on the IP rise? It must, if it doesn't, the IP is gummed up. If it still doesn't start or puff white on cranking yet the control lever rises, it is possibly the drive key. Time for an IP overhaul. if you have a clean area to work on the IP, it isn't too terribly difficult to overhaul. Berryman B12 spray carb cleaner works well to remove diesel varnish. Just remember to lube the internals with clean light oil or clean diesel as B12 has zero lubricant properties.

one other issue, make sure you have fuel return to the tank before cranking.

trooper632

Thanks, Im off the Border once again for another 9 days on patrolling the Rio Grande, so I wont be able to look at it till then.

R Racing

When cranking, does the fuel shut off solenoid retract? If not, there is a bypass circuit on the start position of the master switch that could be bad.

If the solenoid retracts on cranking, does the fuel control lever on the IP rise? It must, if it doesn't, the IP is gummed up. If it still doesn't start or puff white on cranking yet the control lever rises, it is possibly the drive key. Time for an IP overhaul. if you have a clean area to work on the IP, it isn't too terribly difficult to overhaul. Berryman B12 spray carb cleaner works well to remove diesel varnish. Just remember to lube the internals with clean light oil or clean diesel as B12 has zero lubricant properties.

one other issue, make sure you have fuel return to the tank before cranking.
This ^^^^

glassk

Hey all, New mep-002a read what I could on it before trying to start it, new oil/fuel filters reconditioned batteries installed do all the priming both pumps work getting fuel to the IP but nothing out of the injector lines. Two questions. #1 when it cranks but wont start the issue there is, when I let off the start switch it still keeps cranking. I had to remove the positive battery cable to stop it. I hit the starter a couple of times with a mallet and tried it three more time that way but the starter sticks on every time. Is the solenoid bad/starter bad or something else I might be missing. and #2 the fuel issue at the IP, I have read several posts about that one but hope some one could chime in before I have to search again the best way to attack that one. The oil pressure does start to build while cranking also, thanks

#1 when it cranks but wont start the issue there is, when I let off the start switch it still keeps cranking. I had to remove the positive battery cable to stop it

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks