• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New MEP-003's

Jimc

dave, just watch swapping out certain parts in the ip pump. things like the plunger and guide are matched pieces. i have changed the guide out successfully one one pump and not another. i have waisted a couple days going through ip pumps on this last gen trying to change this and that with no luck getting them to operate properly. everything seemed as though it worked right but couldnt get 2 of them that had mismatched parts to flow time correctly. every time i changed a part out the pump would flow time differently. i was all the way to the point where i took the gearbox cover off to see if the timing gears were mated right. drove me nuts. i ended buying one complete from gimpy that had not ever been disassembled. i pulled that apart, cleaned it all up and it worked perfectly.

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Gimpy-Got the fittings out of the injectors with little marring of the surfaces. Think I can reuse them. Going to need gauges, but haven't decided whether I want analog or Jim's digital. That's for later. Using one genny for parts and trying to get the best of one unit for now.
I do need a couple of plunger guides right now-want to get the pumps back together. Is that something you have?
Thanks,
David

Gimpy-Found the spare plunger guide that you sent last time. Will let you know when I need parts.
Thanks,
David
No problem, I'm in no hurry. Let me know when you find what you need.

Keith_J

On frequency gauges, I can still get movements that are NOS. They are super easy to modify to frequency IF the scale panel is good. That is the painted part behind the glass.

The movements are 200 microamp full scale meters (ammeters that measure full scale at 200 microamperes). All that you have to do is swap scale panels, just a slight watchmaker skill set.

GREENMV

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am waiting for the day that someone reverse engineers and starts making the transducer for the HZ meter so I could use all my perfectly good gauges instead of pulling them off the machines and using aftermarket digital meters.

dangier

Update: Got one runner up and load tested today. This one has 900 hours on it. Did the usual clean out, filter replacement, parts swapping from a donor unit and repairing fuel fitting leaks. Replaced ip plunger guide and hard time priming-found cracked ip cap nut on the face (spring and check under it). Replaced with a spare and away it went. Everything seems to work on gauge panel. Voltage gauge bounces around some (not worried about that as I monitor voltage and amps at panel). Thanks to Jerry for the injector service-they work very well and quick turnaround-Good job!

Load tested on 120/240 for two hours at 85% load and two hours varying load from 0 to 68 amps (0 to 133% load indicated), and it held within 2.5 hz starting and stopping loads. The 003's really do have a better sound than the 002's.

Really appreciate the support here. I have learned a lot.

Thanks,
David

Last edited:

dangier

Those of you with 003's, I have a question. My recent acquisition smokes blue smoke after it starts and clears the white smoke (fuel smoke). It only lasts for a minute or so (smoke out the exhaust), but as it is getting less and less, it gets choppy like the rings are not completely sealing. Does not appear to be using any oil by the dipstick. I have run the unit for 4-5 hours now under partial and full load (133%), hoping it would clear up. My 002's do not do that.
This unit is a monster for load. I have pulled 71 amps (240 volt), at 133% indicated, and it is just starting to put out a little black smoke. Does not show any overloading at that point. Other than the minute of blue smoke, it starts and runs very well. Anything to be worried about?
David

Jimc

dave, its no big deal really. one of mine does the same thing. one cyl is just a hair low on compression and will pump a little smoke until the units is warm then it starts firing. i have run 133% with this unit no problem and have 28hrs on it now. one of these days though when im bored and i get some extra time prob this summer i am going to re-ring it just for the **** of it.

haha wow it blanked that out.....really?

anyway dave it sounds like you got her running good. jerry's injector tune up does wonders for the hp output on the engine. your is like mine, 133% and it just starts to show a little black smoke.

Last edited:

Isaac-1

Mine are the same way, the MEP-002a fires right up and runs, the MEP-003a starts on 2 cylinders when it is cold 3 when it is warm (starts on the ones closest to the control box) and it takes a few seconds before the 4th starts firing, white smoke from those end two last another 30-60 seconds before it clears up and runs right. I replaced the injectors on those two end cylinders and it did help the problem, but did not cure the problem. I still need to check valve lash on them.

Ike

Last edited: