• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New MEP 803 Owner (So far very happy)

enem178

I won an auction on Govplanet about a mouth ago for a 803a. It was just delivered today and so far I'm very happy. The unit indeed looks to have only 14hrs on it. I don't know how common it is, but it also came with the manuals and 2 red top batteries. Im sure the batteries are old but look to be unused. I have them on the charger now, we'll see if they hold a charge. The only area of concern that stands out right now is there looks to be some diesel residue around the injectors. I'll see what happens when I get it started. Hopefully it runs as good as it looks.

PS. I have no idea why some of the pix are sideways..

IMG_1064.jpgIMG_1065.jpgIMG_1066.jpgIMG_1069.jpgIMG_1071.jpgIMG_1072.jpgIMG_1077.jpgIMG_1086.jpgIMG_1079.jpg

Last edited:

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
definitely go through the 100 hour break in. Even if the gauge is wrong, you won't be hurting anything by doing it.

csheath

Might as well go ahead and replace the dry rotted fuel return hose. I used Gates part number 27000 1/8" from Oreily auto parts and it's holding up good. If memory serves me correctly I bought 10 or 12 feet of 1/8" and a couple feet of part number 27002 1/4". The short 1/4" pump hoses can be replaced by cutting the crimped covers off and just pushing hose on. You can use spring clamps or fuel injection type band clamps if you want but I think they would be okay without clamps. You don't need the higher priced fuel injection hose. These are all low pressure hoses.

You have to pull the top off and the end cover by the fuel tank to replace all the hoses.

enem178

Might as well go ahead and replace the dry rotted fuel return hose. I used Gates part number 27000 1/8" from Oreily auto parts and it's holding up good. If memory serves me correctly I bought 10 or 12 feet of 1/8" and a couple feet of part number 27002 1/4". The short 1/4" pump hoses can be replaced by cutting the crimped covers off and just pushing hose on. You can use spring clamps or fuel injection type band clamps if you want but I think they would be okay without clamps. You don't need the higher priced fuel injection hose. These are all low pressure hoses.

You have to pull the top off and the end cover by the fuel tank to replace all the hoses.

Thank you for the detailed info! Are those the pump hoses near the injectors in the 7th pic?

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
Check out the sticky at the top of the Generator Forum

MEP-802A MEP-803A Filters and Parts

2nd post has quick links

3rd post has the manuals you need. At least on the computer. Always nice to have the manuals still in the plastic.

Yes, I would say your unit has 14 original hours on it.
IMHO
long drain the oil, replace all filters, long drain the fuel tank, replace all filters

add john deere break-in plus oil, new filters

replace all fuel filters, careful on the cup filter, make sure its in the little track with gasket all the way around.

You might have trouble getting the fuel/water filter off. It seems King Kong put it on dry.

replace all fuel return lines

Charge the RedTop batteries with a good AGM charger. They will come back to life.

Double check the Quad Winding fuse is in place.

Fresh diesel, turn to prime and run... and wait, it takes a while to fill up all the new fuel filters... wait some more, the unit are self priming to a degree, it will fill all the filters and then return back to the fuel tank.

Have all your equipment ready for starting.
set what voltage you want (behind control panel, 120/240 single phase) ,--only when not running
Have a multimeter ready to check the outlet, and lugs. (convenience outlets are 10amps only) if you trip it, the reset button is right inside the front control panel.

Look at keeping a good load o the unit for at least the first 100 hours with the break-in oil.

After that, a good 15w-40 diesel oil of your choosing.

good luck.:)

enem178

Howdy,
Check out the sticky at the top of the Generator Forum

MEP-802A MEP-803A Filters and Parts

2nd post has quick links

3rd post has the manuals you need. At least on the computer. Always nice to have the manuals still in the plastic.

Yes, I would say your unit has 14 original hours on it.
IMHO
long drain the oil, replace all filters, long drain the fuel tank, replace all filters

add john deere break-in plus oil, new filters

replace all fuel filters, careful on the cup filter, make sure its in the little track with gasket all the way around.

You might have trouble getting the fuel/water filter off. It seems King Kong put it on dry.

replace all fuel return lines

Charge the RedTop batteries with a good AGM charger. They will come back to life.

Double check the Quad Winding fuse is in place.

Fresh diesel, turn to prime and run... and wait, it takes a while to fill up all the new fuel filters... wait some more, the unit are self priming to a degree, it will fill all the filters and then return back to the fuel tank.

Have all your equipment ready for starting.
set what voltage you want (behind control panel, 120/240 single phase) ,--only when not running
Have a multimeter ready to check the outlet, and lugs. (convenience outlets are 10amps only) if you trip it, the reset button is right inside the front control panel.

Look at keeping a good load o the unit for at least the first 100 hours with the break-in oil.

After that, a good 15w-40 diesel oil of your choosing.

good luck.:)

I actually ordered the filters 5 mins ago thankls to your sticky! This is AWESOME info........ Greatly appreciated

Last edited:

csheath

Thank you for the detailed info! Are those the pump hoses near the injectors in the 7th pic?
Yes

The small return hose will come off of the rail that has the 4 1/4" lines. It goes up to the injectors and connects to plastic tees then loops around and back to the tank. The 1/4" hoses may be okay but the small cloth covered hose doesn't last long and is most likely the cause of the fuel you see.

enem178

Yes

The small return hose will come off of the rail that has the 4 1/4" lines. It goes up to the injectors and connects to plastic tees then loops around and back to the tank. The 1/4" hoses may be okay but the small cloth covered hose doesn't last long and is most likely the cause of the fuel you see.
Ok great, i'll get on it. Thank U

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hopefully your canister drains clean, and you have no reason to remove. With that said, if you DO... save yourself time and effort and simply remove the upper side sheet metal panel next to it. It will allow you to get your filter wrench as high up on the canister as you can get, for maximum removal force. If you take it off, oil the seal on it (or the new unit) so you never have to fight such foolishness again.

enem178

Hopefully your canister drains clean, and you have no reason to remove. With that said, if you DO... save yourself time and effort and simply remove the upper side sheet metal panel next to it. It will allow you to get your filter wrench as high up on the canister as you can get, for maximum removal force. If you take it off, oil the seal on it (or the new unit) so you never have to fight such foolishness again.
Words of wisdom.....Thx

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,

Drain's clean?

Change it. It doesn't matter if it drains clean. It's a filter. Drain's clean means nothing to what's going on. The drain on the fuel/water separator filter is for draining water.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In the units I have inspected after changing, they are in very decent shape considering the trash that can accumulate in them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks